The Wolf Among Us (Telltale Game Based on Fables Comic)

Harsin

And done - about an hour and 15 min.

Short, and with less interactions than before. While choices seem to matter, I'm not sure all of them will have done (e.g. one of the Tweedle's seem to disappear in this, making the choice at the end of Ep3 meaningless)

Stay Silent throughout the discussion with the Crooked Man, asked who did it (not sure where the other choices went but I assumed Mary or Georgie), and then continued to stay silent, refusing deals or confrontation and just letting the fallout occur. Left Jersey and Tweedle in a bad way, and ended up stabbing Georgie before he got away.

All hell broke loose and I chased them through the streets - chose to follow Georgie. CM is a dick, but Georgie's a killer.

Although...he had his reasons...even he...the conversation seemed to be going OK, but then Vivian decided enough was enough...:(

Decided to end his suffering (although it still seemed pretty gosh darn painful!)

Pretty much got my arse handed to me during the fight with Mary, and not sure if Bigby's Mega evolution was cool or cheesy.

Spared, cuffed and brought in CM though...was a little uncomfortable letting him use his silver tongue in front of the community though.

And he was a sneaky little fuck. But me and Snow won them over...even got a nice hero moment with all the Fables standing against CM...until he talked his way back out! Looking grim until Nerissa turned up,,,swung back to guilty!

Said we should let Snow decide, but it ended up on me. While I was thinking CM tried to strangle me - sorely tempted to throw him down the well, but went with prison. "Fabletown will remember that" seemed ominous.

Met with Toad and TJ, took the gift and told him it was nice.

Then spoke with Narrisa - who explained everything. Tried to comfort her (by pushing her towards a cigarette...said I didn't know where things stood with Snow, and I've made some mistakes.

From the ending are we to assume the first meeting was actually between Bigby and a glamourised Narrisa as Faith, starting the whole thing off? Decided to go after her though...

Overall really good though. Not as emotional as TWD but very involving. It wasn't quite as satisfying ending to the series as TWD S1, which basically built up to it's ending. As a mystery the ending was a little more subdued and a lot more talky/explainy rather than emotionally hard hitting.

Great ending, I loved this. Just ordered a couple of the graphic novels too.

I went after Georgie, gave him a quick way out... Kinda wished id left him to suffer after speaking with Narrisa. Brought CM in for trail... then ripped his head off.

Only 12% of players did that. Fable town is scared of the Big Bad Wolf. Replayed the ending being merciful but everyone's reactions felt more appropriate when being terrified of a barely in control killer. From the people in the hallway, and even Snow looking scared, to Bluebeard being pleased.

Better to be feared than loved.

I talked lots of shit at the Crooked Man's place, messed up one of the Dees and Jersey, royally messed up Georgie.

Followed Georgie, let him speak and tried to get as much info out of them as possible, then ended his suffering. Guy might have been an asshole, but it would have been a dick move to let him slowly die next to Vivian. Although after the chat with the mermaid, I'll definitely let him wait it out next time.

Destroyed Mary, but that was quite a let down of a fight. I let Crooked Man speak, then killed him. I knew he had dirt on all the Fabletown twats because they've been buying spells from him and I didn't want to give him the chance to openly have the whole town on his side. Plus, he's an asshole who pointed a gun at me and had someone shoot me with a silver bullet. So sod him and his droopy eye.

Stayed till the end with the Fabletown twats, spoke my case and things started going south, then the mermaid turned up to save the day (sort of).

Comforted the mermaid, and went after her as my final choice.

I want to know which assholes didn't accept the gift from TJ. 94.7% of players accepted it.

Really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to how it'll play out with a few different choices. Definitely going to try to get some of the comics now. It's such an interesting world filled with rich characters. Great setting.

I've played the first 3 episodes, but boy this is a technical mess on the 360. I have no idea why, but it stutters badly, almost to the point of me assuming I've got a complete freeze, and takes ages to load, sometimes failing altogether. The episodes are so short though that getting a cheap season pass when it goes on sale and waiting for all episodes to land seems the best way to go.

Nethertheless the story is engaging and whilst I doubt it makes any whit of difference, I'm quite enjoying playing counter to my background and withhold the violent option wherever possible. My female companion is getting quite aggressive at this point though.

So far there only seem to have been 2 points where events could have unfolded significantly differently, and in one of those I chose the minority option of the 3, simply because of dislike of the gruesome twosome.

Hopefully wrap this up today and go back over this thread uncovering spoilers.

Really good ending, more satisfying to me than the Walking Dead series one despite the technical jarring.

I spent the whole game, or at least from episode 2 onwards, acting against the stereotype of big bad wolf.

That meant

for example, keeping away from violence in the torture scene, not destroying the tree and not smashing up the pudding and pie. It also meant, ultimately, bringing CM back for trial and keeping him in a cage for ever. I think I only took the first swing against Bloody Mary and I'm guessing that fight was inevitable.

I do wish I had taken the various bundles of cash I found along the way, since I assume that way I could have paid for Toad's glamours and not seen him carted away after I had promised him it would not come to this. In fact I think I broke a few promises along the way, although I was true to Beauty.

I found Snow's evolution quite interesting too, I ended up trying to keep her quiet but still getting my own way with thing that mattered to me, for example, Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

Great game. Cracking dialogue and some interesting choices to say the least. Annoyingly janky in some spots as others here have mentioned.

Question regarding the ending of Chapter 5 -

Was the game inferring that Faith in Chapter 1 was actually a glamoured Nerissa or that it was Nerissa that was killed and Faith was alive the whole time?

I'm thinking it's the former, right?

Whoever wrote the recent Wikipedia update for the game claims it's the latter -

Leaving, she comments Bigby is not as bad everyone says he is, causing Bigby to recall Faith said the same before her death. Several past conversations regarding Faith, Nerissa, and the use of glamours play out in Bigby's head, leading him to question the true identity of Nerissa and if she might really be Faith, a tactic that drew Bigby into unwittingly helping to complete Faith's plan...

• 3 months later...

I finally got round to opening my steam gift I bought myself at the last Xmas sale for a fiver.

I loved this. Way more so than Walking Dead. The art direction was brilliant, the music moody and evocative, and every single character stood out, feeling fleshed out. I even read all the back story text pages. Something I very rarely do in games. Blasted through it in 3 days.

Are more chapters planned? Really feel like picking up the first trade now, I haven't bought a trade or comic in nearly 20 years.

• 5 months later...

Just played through this and I loved it a lot, possibly more than The Walking Dead. Sometimes I felt the camera angles in the Walking Dead were a little off and still very '90's adventure game in places. Every shot in The Wolf Among Us seemed to be perfect.

I'm going to be disappointed with season 2 of The Walking Dead aren't I.

• 2 years later...

Holy shit, second season confirmed for late 2018! Never thought this was going to happen.

"SAN RAFAEL, Calif., July 19, 2017 - In partnership with DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, award-winning developer and publisher of digital entertainment Telltale Games today announced a second season of The Wolf Among Us: A Telltale Games Series, the critically-acclaimed and award-winning episodic adventure game series based on Bill Willingham's 'Fables' comic book series, is set to debut in 2018.

With overwhelming popular demand from fans since the series concluded in 2014, Telltale surprised their fans today in an announcement video from the cast and crew confirming that the project is coming in the year ahead. Though this new season has not yet been officially titled, it will debut in the second half of 2018 across all major gaming consoles and mobile gaming devices. This new season will begin a fresh story arc for its returning cast of characters, featuring the return of Adam Harrington as Bigby Wolf and Erin Yvette as Snow White."

• 3 years later...

As with the Batman Telltale games (which I played last month), I am very late to this. It's been in my collection for ages, thanks to Games With Gold, and I've never got round to trying it. It was most certainly my loss, as I have finished the first 4 episodes and looking forward to the last one. I had no knowledge of the graphic novels previously, but this is one of the best game stories I have encountered. Love the characters and the whole art style and also special mention must go to the music and the voice work. I'd even say I'm enjoying it more than the Batman titles, largely due to a more streamlined experience and less repetitive detective sections than the latter. 

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

As with the Batman Telltale games (which I played last month), I am very late to this. It's been in my collection for ages, thanks to Games With Gold, and I've never got round to trying it. It was most certainly my loss, as I have finished the first 4 episodes and looking forward to the last one. I had no knowledge of the graphic novels previously, but this is one of the best game stories I have encountered. Love the characters and the whole art style and also special mention must go to the music and the voice work. I'd even say I'm enjoying it more than the Batman titles, largely due to a more streamlined experience and less repetitive detective sections than the latter. 

I loved playing through this when it came out, one of the best adaptations I’ve played :)