Torment: Tides of Numenera

Miner Willy

19 hours ago, Tourist said:

Ugh. So stupid. Either them or me. 

I just logged in for my second play session. The screen is zoomed in so far that all I can see is my character and a couple of NPCs. And as far as I can tell the only way to zoom in or out is with the mouse wheel. I have no mousewheel. So I can't zoom out. I tried random buttons (eg. page up/down, +/-, and holding shift with those buttons) but nothing works. 

So now the game is basically unplayable. 

Got to take back my earlier comment. This game is actively annoying me now. Sigh.

This is no doubt a silly question but is there no keyboard / controls mapping for zoom you can put on another key?

17 hours ago, b00dles said:

This is no doubt a silly question but is there no keyboard / controls mapping for zoom you can put on another key?

Not exposed via the interface. There might be some key mapping file elsewhere, but they probably assumed mouse wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished.  Really enjoyable experience overall, probably helped by not beating the game up with comparisons to Planescape Torment (not got very far with and a long time ago), or fretting about unimplemented stretch goals.

I had a few technical problems though, noticeably freezes, and when they arrive 20 minutes into a crisis as happened twice with the final event in the Bloom, then they become a severe test of patience.   However, no other difficulties to report (I'm pretty confident that side quests I couldn't resolve were due to me rather than bugs) so the game is by no means unplayable on console, and as posted before, a large enough font size and relatively fast quick loading speeds are absolutely key to that judgement.  

I played as I usually do in RPGs so my dominant tides were gold for selflessness and blue for rationality.  I am not too sure how these impacted the ending but some of my actions were referred to in late game dialogues and it is quite possible the influence was significant.  My ending (spoilers obviously) involved 

Spoiler

melding my personality with the Changing God's daughter which he went along with, possibly as noted as a result of my activities in the game although I'd done some not so good things too like persuaded the cult I was their God (to get free lodging natch)

I found the companions quite adequate in terms of characterisation and they all have side quests - the game is similar to Pillars in the sense that if you pursue your relationship you get a fleshed out note of what they go on to do, but if you don't use them or talk to them you don't.  

My character was an intelligent nano with high speed and intel who quickly built up lore and perception.  She also had the mind reading ability from the outset.  I rolled for most of the game with Erritis for muscle and Tybir for a silver tongue (he is a rogue but by no means a loveable one), the 4th position fluctuated.    My low strength pool only worked against me a few times in meres - the adventure book sequences accessed via found objects, where you don't have access to your companions.

I really liked the way you have to work to find the side quests and their resolution - I had no idea that one particular one would end up so important.  When it all comes together, such as returning the lascars to their home planet it's very satisfying indeed.

The game's structure is actually very simple but it can easily overwhelm with the sheer quantity of words & styles of speech, the density of NPCs in places and the unfamiliar terminology. Cyphers do the sorts of things scrolls often do - damage, heal, reanimate, cause other effects including permanent ability gains.  Equipable artefacts can be used in combat for skill bonuses in the same way such things are in Baldurs Gate 2, for example.  Combat was fairly interesting for these reasons, albeit it can largely be avoided.

I deliberately didn't look at the secret achievements before playing and needless to say I'm not much the wiser as to how to achieve some of them even after completing the game (love that sensation - very Alpha Protocol like).  I could see however that many are ultra rare (<1%) so completionists will surely have their work cut out.

So, in conclusion, highly recommended for readers with a lively curiosity and a decent stock of patience.

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

It seems a Planescape Torment re-master / re-issue / EE is arriving soon via Beamdog.

Take a look at the countdown on PlanEscape.com.........

Bought! Just point me towards a pre- order page :D

Just read your post above btw, so no need to respond in the other thread of Torment :)

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just read your post above btw, so no need to respond in the other thread of Torment :)

Thanks, I think that post sums things up - lots to enjoy if you like reading and intricacy / subtlety in game design, lots of ways of things playing out, lots of things potentially missable.  I've rolled a different starting class and will definitely replay it at some point, it's just that it's facing competition at present.

Only one person has obtained all the achievements and #2 seems to have given up after 6 play-throughs.  Not saying that criterion is the be all and end all ,but when you look at some of the secret ones and think how on Earth (or wherever your plane of existence is) do you go about that objective, I reckon it does something right.  

Received my KS Collector's Edition box the other day. It's not the one with the figure. Glad to say it's much better than the Wasteland 2 one. Map is bigger and better, soundtrack CD, proper hardback art book. And the box itself is a nice matte thing with a magnetic flap. Not sure if the code that comes with the game is the same as my Steam one; could be I have a second copy in that case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017/3/9 at 02:45, Tourist said:

So now the game is basically unplayable. 

It's okay, all sorted now! 

https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004665188-No-camera-zoom-in-out-keybinding-PC-

Currently, Torment: Tides of NUmenera does not feature a way to bind the camera zoom in/out to keys; the game requires a mouse with a scroll wheel.

Oh. So actually the opposite of sorted then. 

Total rubbish. I realise fans can be pretty jumped up and can make unreasonable of videogame developers, but none of the spammy newsletters that they sent out mentioned that the game required a mouse wheel; nor did any of the original fundraising pages. So I feel pretty aggrieved about this. I gave them my money and they delivered a game that is unplayable. At the very least they might have acted a bit sheepish or apologetic about it. Instead they have basically posted a polite 'fuck you'. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

So is this fixed on PS4, or does it still run like shit with long loading times?  Any news on it working better on the Pro with Boost mode?

Dude, this game is 98% reading. 

Load times aren't an issue.  The recent patch is described as having fixed the problems with game freezing and with AI routines & numbers during the handful of larger Crises.

• 3 months later...

Bought the Console Day One edition from Shopto for a measly £12.95 and I'm loving this so far. 

As others has said it's old school, to a fault, but it's bringing back my fondest crpg memories from the 90s.

6hrs in and seems to run great on a vanilla PS4, the latest patch added a load of fixes, missing companion from the Kickstarter campaign and importantly, a Codex to keep track of what is what.

The setting and tone is great and I really liked the build-up to Character creation; I've started as an Observant Jack and am focusing slightly more on Intellect and will try to avoid combat.

The internet seems to have turned against this game, whether that's to do with missed goals from Kickstarter campaign or that it was too similar/ different from Planescape Torment.

1 hour ago, Janski said:

The internet seems to have turned against this game, whether that's to do with missed goals from Kickstarter campaign or that it was too similar/ different from Planescape Torment.

I need to boot this up again one day to re-play with the full benefit of patches.

Game probably didn't benefit from Planescape Torment being re-released literally weeks later - obviously there are umpteen points of similarity between them, but each has it's own quite distinct character.

• 4 months later...

From what I gather if you can gel with the style of writing (and the quantity!) you're in for a good time. You just have to be in that kind of mood, and I unfortunately wasn't when I tried playing it. I keep meaning to buy it again and go back to it (bought a cheap copy that I managed to get my money back from) but as crazy as it probably sounds, it's hard to when I have actual books still to read. 

For me it was the writing that made this almost insufferable. This is good writing but in a twenty year old sense, when fancy words and a lot of unnecessary proze was considered a landmark, like it was with the original Torment. For today, no. People do not talk like that, there is no feeling for conversation flow, no sense of characterization built up, no realistic exchanges (you meet someone and then you ask them a million questions), no proper editing in the massive descriptive texts where the game just goes on and on telling instead of simply showing, it's kind of a mess. I know that it tries to offer an experience close to Torment but that was the wrong way to go for me after so much time. 

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut outclasses this when it comes to writing in almost any way imaginable.

What I enjoyed (even though I abandoned the game twice before completing it) was the sense of freedom of approach (which wanes quite a bit as the game progresses if I remember correctly), the art and its ability to create this otherwordly and irresistible effect which makes the most horrible and alien thing feel like it has a normal place in the world. Simply unrivaled in that feeling.

It's incredibly textually dense  - especially if you have the ability which enables you to hear the thoughts of those you are talking to.  So many different styles of speech, so many named NPCs in relatively small spaces (a bit like Baldurs Gate say), it can get overwhelming.  Then there are the Merecasters with are basically adventure books, beautifully illustrated.  Really, it's more like a puzzle game in places as you try to find the right recipient / use for the various quest objects you pick up along the way.  At least in Planescape there is a little bit of the traditional bopping of monsters on the head, in this, or can be, virtually none.

It is very close to feeling like a different kind of visual novel. And while the art is worth the admission price alone, I can't help but feel that it could work better as a short novel.

Torment felt like a book back then but it also had an incredible story and mystery in its heart. Plus, Morte. The characterization of Torment still remains one of the high moments of the genre and, despite its heavy handed story and morbidity, it new how to use sarcasm and cynicism to break the tone. This one can feel like taking a deep breath and try to hold it for one hour sometimes.

10 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Eh? For me it's the right way to go. This feels like Torment. It's what I paid for. It's what I'm getting, and I'm really loving it so far. :)

My only gripe is that there are a few dialogue bugs. I got to ask Callistege what she thought of Oom before I'd even discovered Oom.

Otherwise, this is brilliant. I've had to force myself to stop playing. :)

I really don't like games that offer "nostalgia gaming" (I think that is the case here) . I played Torment when it was released and it's one of my all time favourites, but we have had many advances in storytelling, characterization, etc since then which are not used here at all. Replaying the same game from those years ago is quite boring for me, especially when the story and characters are worse (when you emulate a classic you are also bound to be compared more directly to it, which is rarely a favourable comparison). 

But it's good to hear you are enjoying it so much. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As noted over in the GAME thread, Poundland has started selling games for up to £5.

As with the DVDs, Blu-Rays and CDs that Poundland sell, it looks like the games will be a mixture of used stock from Music Magpie, and new old stock (warehouse remainders, surplus stock and so on).

Anyway, I picked up Torment: Tides of Numenera yesterday on PS4 for £5. Still factory-sealed with the PS4 tear-strip in the cellophane. It was the "Physical bonus content" edition that includes a fold-out map and a soundtrack CD.

I didn't see any other copies so I can't offer to pick one up for anyone else, sorry. Worth taking a look in your local branch if you've been on the fence about buying at a higher price.