Bates Motel

larrydavidsanger

Did anyone else watch the first episode of this? I was over in New York two weeks ago and they had posters plastered everywhere for it and the idea did entrigue me of a look into the life of young Norman Bates, so when I saw the first episode listed as a top download today I thought I'd take a chance... what a load of old shite! From an opening scene which appeared to be set in the 50s or thereabouts complete with retro car, mum decked out in retro clothing etc etc which would make sense, suddenly young Norman is sitting listening to an ipod and going to parties with UV lights and bongs. For the whole episode my girlfriend and I would glance back and forth at each other in confusion as to what we were watching. A shame really as they have an interesting premise and two decent leads but I'm not sure if I can face going back for another episode

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This turned out pretty good! I was wondering how they could spin out the mother / son relationship into an entire series, but they actually do a good job of peppering the show with characters and side stories. I like that things generally don't go exactly the way you'd expect, and there's plenty to chew on come the next series (should it get renewed). Farmiga is absolutely brilliant, from hilarious to crazy to outright scary, she dominates the proceedings.

First series is enjoyable fluff, largely held together by Vera F, who's really good throughout. Think it benefits from being watched in a binge because the intrigue isn't quite strong enough to hold for a weekly watch.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

First series finished. Overall I enjoyed it and have to say that Vera Farmiga is excellent. However, I did find that Norma’s reaction at the end wasn’t consistent with her character during the rest of the series.

Almost finished season two and while it is often ridiculous, I’m really enjoying it. I do find it funny how one family can, be it deliberately or inadvertently, cause so much havoc.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished. Despite some very silly moments, I enjoyed this. Vera Farmiga in particular was excellent throughout. My biggest negative was Romero. Liked his character until the end of season four, but then he just irritated and pissed me off. As for the ending, a little obvious, but made slightly less believable by the stupidity of the police.