rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
murray

Battlefield 4

My default advice for newcomers is to play as the Engineer class first as you will then unlock the carbines, which can then be used by ALL classes. While it doesn't really matter for the Assault class, having access to compact machine guns allows a lot of versatility for Engineer, Support and Recon classes.

Don't forget that, if you're under level 10, you can join the Noob servers using quickmatch. These only allow players up to rank 10 to enter so you'll most likely be playing against people with similar experience and unlocks as yourself.

Also, don't forget the Test Range. You can practice with all the vehicles there and it's a good way to get to grips with choppers without risk of being shot down. You can also practice with vehicles (and understand map layouts) by joining an empty server from the server browser. Unless someone else joins (unlikely) you'll have the place to yourself to run around in. For choppers, change the control settings to Buttons = Veteran, Sticks = Default. It's much easier to fly them that way. The same for jets and land vehcles too IMO.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I'm struggling with guns - I think I need to switch between single shot and auto fire more. I find I die at either range or close up - I never seem to be "stronger"

I never switch to single shot. Just learn to manually burst fire by tapping the triggers rather than just full-auto'ing, it's useful when shooting from longer range. I also imagine anyone just starting out in this is going to lose a lot of gun fights just from inexperience, sight lines, map layout, just general stuff like that. It'll come. Add me up on PSN if we aren't friends already, I still play most evenings when I can.

Remember the customisation on the sensitivity settings is pretty vast, so for example you can tailor it to be less sensitive when aiming down sights etc. It's worth playing around. Many of us on here have vastly different settings to suit our style. Oh and the default chopper controls are horrid (IMO), me and Kerraig role with the legacy settings from previous BF's.

Another thing that can be useful is Spectator Mode, where you can observe a game without directly participating. You can follow an individual from various viewpoints - first person, third person etc. (and change the soldier you're following at will) - or just free fly around the battlefield to see things from any vantage point you like.

To activate it, find a server in the server browser, select the server info option (triangle on PS4), then select Spectate (L3 on PS4).

It can be a good way to see how effective players work.

I'll be up for that, subject to wife & newborn letting me near the PS4 ;) Then Hexx can see that players like me are still terrible after many many hours of play :)

Definitely fiddle with aim sensitivity controls for standard and ADS view, finding a setup that works for you makes everything so much better.

5 minutes ago, smithstock said:

I'll be around tonight. @Dave White and @FuntimeDave were online last night too. If we got 10, that's two full squads capable of dominating.

Unfortunately we've found over time that the more of us there are, the worse we tend to do!

On 07/05/2016 at 7:34 PM, kerraig UK said:

Loving the rocket vehicle vids. 

Here's some old ones with the SRAW before they nerfed the shit out of it & made it useless:

You can also set your reticule colours seperately for different hits. e.g.:

Blue reticule - you've hit them

Green reticule - you've hit their head

Red reticule - you've killed them

I always use red for a killshot as it gives a clear visual indication that your target is down and you can move onto the next.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I'm back in Blighty tomorrow!

I've missed you :hug: 

19 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Unfortunately we've found over time that the more of us there are, the worse we tend to do!

Shh don't tell them that... 

20 minutes ago, King A said:

Here's some old ones with the SRAW before they nerfed the shit out of it & made it useless:

Wow it's like we're playing a totally different game! The SRAW rocks since the update. It travels at like twice the speed meaning you can take down jets with it!

1 minute ago, kerraig UK said:

Wow it's like we're playing a totally different game! The SRAW rocks since the update. It travels at like twice the speed meaning you can take down jets with it!

I hate it. It feels much weaker (I don't know if it is, but to me it feels it), it doesn't travel as far and I find it much harder to hit with now.

20 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

You can also set your reticule colours seperately for different hits. e.g.:

Blue reticule - you've hit them

Green reticule - you've hit their head

Red reticule - you've killed them

I always use red for a killshot as it gives a clear visual indication that your target is down and you can move onto the next.

HOW!?

We played on noob servers.

We only found out after we got our arses comprehensively kick (thinking "wow. those were some bad ass mofos"), and on the next match one of the group got kicked as he'd levelled up and could no longer be on a noob server (bad ass mofo noobs though!)

Thanks for engineer tip - I've been going with that just cus I like the LAW MISSILE. I wish it tracked/locked on though - but I think people still found it threatening :)

3 minutes ago, King A said:

I hate it. It feels much weaker (I don't know if it is, but to me it feels it), it doesn't travel as far and I find it much harder to hit with now.

It is weaker. They nerfed its power but increased its speed. Once you know that it becomes extremely easy to hit moving vehicles with. RPG is now a bigger hitter but moves slower and takes longer to reload. 

38 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Obviously not playing with the experts.

I'M AMAZING.

12 minutes ago, Hexx said:

We played on noob servers.

We only found out after we got our arses comprehensively kick (thinking "wow. those were some bad ass mofos"), and on the next match one of the group got kicked as he'd levelled up and could no longer be on a noob server (bad ass mofo noobs though!)

Thanks for engineer tip - I've been going with that just cus I like the LAW MISSILE. I wish it tracked/locked on though - but I think people still found it threatening :)

Javelin locks on to ground vehicles
Stinger/IGLA lock on to aircraft

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

The LAW does lock on to some degree. It will change trajectory just before hitting its target so that it hits from above for more damage. It only does it on land vehicles though and you have to be pretty precise with your aiming.

1 hour ago, King A said:

HOW!?

Options > Gameplay > Advanced Options (bottom of the list) > Hit Indicator Color

There are a whole host of other HUD customisation functions in there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Javelin locks on to ground vehicles

Or if you have a mate that is willing to laser desginate targets, you can hit air vehicles with the Javelin to do MASSIVE DAMAGE

Do you guys know if there is a way to hide the squad text box please? The one which makes the text box appear in the top left corner when to bark an order.

24 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Do you guys know if there is a way to hide the squad text box please? The one which makes the text box appear in the top left corner when to bark an order.

I've never tried, but I can't see anything obvious in the menus.

I'll be on from 7:30-9ish tonight. 

EDIT: Played three games, the first two were embarrassingly bad (so pretty standard). Third game I came second in the table on a brilliant game of Conquest in Lumphini Gardens. We were getting thrashed, then just turned it around when we were losing  200-600 and absolutely destroyed them in the late section of the match. I even finished with a positive KD ratio, which is almost unheard of. Lies. 

This game :wub:

Edit: now with pictures! 

"Here's your ammo! Pick it up." 

(+15xp ad infinitum)

image.jpeg