IGNORED

Papers, Please

SMD

• 4 months later...

Fuck. This is well grim.

when you start searching people... fucking hell.

It's clearly making me feel how it wants me to feel. Suspect everyone. Be happier to deal with people from my home country. Question whether i should listen to people pleading for their lives.

Damn that was rough.

I remember letting in woman who didn't have the correct papers but was escaping from a guy who was her pimp, she gave me a note with the name of the guy - but since you are rushed from start to finish forgot to check it when he later appeared down the line! Next day's newspaper reported the death of her and other women at the hands of said guy :(

It's quite clever too in that it allows you 3 strikes, meaning you make these "wrong" decision at your discretion, but because you are punished for every mistake, you essentially have to decide between letting someone fleeing for their lives in and your sick mother getting medicine.

I remember letting in woman who didn't have the correct papers but was escaping from a guy who was her pimp, she gave me a note with the name of the guy - but since you are rushed from start to finish forgot to check it when he later appeared down the line! Next day's newspaper reported the death of her and other women at the hands of said guy :(

It's quite clever too in that it allows you 3 strikes, meaning you make these "wrong" decision at your discretion, but because you are punished for every mistake, you essentially have to decide between letting someone fleeing for their lives in and your sick mother getting medicine.

There needs to be more to that report screen IMO. I didn't really give a shit about my family (only 1 of them died at the end of my play through) but they just looked like stats as opposed to real characters.

You should be able to see your family getting sicker, this will make the decisions a lot tougher.

Worth saying that in this version there is no save system, and there's fairly linear progression, so it's worth setting aside a bit of time to have a decent session on it. I had to stop, and now I can't be arsed to start all over again until the final version comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

This is out today and it's excellent. Think the interrogation parts of Phoenix Wright, but instead of quirky colourful modern day Japan, it's bleak grey Cold War era Eastern Europe. Each prospective immigrant you deal with has his or her own passport, entry permit or ID card, and you have to inspect these for discrepancies. For example, if the immigrant looks like a dude, but his passport says 'female', you click on the dude as he stands in front of you, then you click on the 'sex' part of the passport, and the game goes, 'BLEEP! DISCREPANCY!' and the immigrant might respond something like, 'I, er, I had surgery.' And then it's for you to decide if they're lying or not. Are you a lovely, liberal, sympathetic border controller? Are you a rulebook thumbing jobsworth? Or are you an all out immigration hating xenophobe?

On my first attempt at the story mode, I was inspecting everyone's documents so keenly I didn't manage to get through enough people to earn enough to feed my family. Soon my son and wife got sick, and my uncle was freezing cold because I couldn't pay my heating bill. By the fourth day I'd racked up a couple of fines for accidentally letting through a guy whose passport had expired, and for turning a blind eye to a woman who swore she would be murdered by terrorists if I sent her back to her home town. As a result of this my entire family starved to death.

It is fun. You should play it.

Gif nicked straight from Neogaf:

iSXvgXHBI4shz.gif

This really deserves more love, though I think it changes the rules of what you have to look for a little too much. It would be nice if you had a couple of days without them adding more things for you to look for! It does get quite tense later on though when pretty much every person you let through you wait nervously to see if that ticket comes up saying you missed something.

If you're new to it though, I actually recommend the yogscast playthrough of it (though dont watch too much of it). It actually served as a nice tutorial to the game in a way, as one of them has played it before and is basically showing the other how to. Plus, the timed element of it means that they have to spend their time playing the game rather than spend 5 minutes trying to be funny between each option like I've seen them do on other vids.

I lasted 2 days in my job until I allowed a terrorist attack, got arrested for delinquency due to debts and my family got deported.

And I didn't do well in my first game of Papers Please either.

This looks amazing, going to buy when I get some time.

It's absolutely brilliant. I'm on my third play and I've got all the way to December 11th with everyone still alive.

Damn the ministry of information for confiscating my $1000 savings!

I just got ending 19 which could well be the best one.

EZIC blow up the checkpoint, rescue you and your family (all of whom survived, including the niece who I DID decide to take in) and seem poised to overthrow the corrupt government.

Just tried the Beta version. Wow, it's brilliant.

Got a bit lost at one point where

someone didn't have any papers

and I thought it was a bug.

I've read that it works fine on Mac OS 10.7.5 (which is what I'm running) so I may just have to buy it. Will see how much cash we have left after the weekly shop tomorrow.