Ps2 Budget Titles

Pug Fugly

You've all seen 'em on the 'under £15' shelves in Asda. A load of games you've never heard of for prices ranging between £9.99 to £14.99

I don't know if you're like me, but a 9.99 price tag on a game is almost reason enough to buy it. So every time I go to Asda to do my weekly shop, I spend at least a few minutes perusing the budget section (whilst my wife looks at clothes). And each time there are 2 or 3 titles that looking interesting, like they might provide a good blast.

So, anyone played any of these? I'm afraid of buying one as I'm pretty certain they contain the entertainment attributes of dog dirt, but there's only so many times I can walk past a 9.99 game without buying it. I need help.

Actually, I do know that 'Grooveriders' is absolute crap, but the others remain a mystery.

Like that train one - is it some hastily cobbled together trainspotting sim, or maybe a Japanese one imported and translated on the cheap?

Or that one with 3 women with big guns on the front.. is there an awesome shmup hidden in there?

Or that battling car one, that a 'respected' games journalist (can't remember the name...) has labelled 'the best car combat game on PS2'.

Anybody care to admit to buying one of these bad boys?

Like that train one - is it some hastily cobbled together trainspotting sim, or maybe a Japanese one imported and translated on the cheap?

is that X-treme train racing or whatever?

i saw it in PCworld today. never heard of it.

although they did have Virtua Tennis 2 for a tenner but i'm holding out for top spin.

So anyway i bought The Hobbit and Beyond Good & Evil for £15 each.

the one with the 3 ladies is either Castle of shigigami or gunbird. Both great. I think they are called mobile lightforce 1 and 2

Mobile light force 2 in castle of shigigami (near certain that is spelt wrong), it's a budget PS2 title with a crap cover, but an amzing vertical shooter

The first Mobile light force was on PS1 and never got a european release AFAIK (it was gunbird)

yup mobile light force 2/shikigami no shiro is a fantastic game. the new cover art and such makes you want to punch peoples faces really hard, but getting such a great game for such a low price makes up for it ;)

also have a look out for psyvariar, another cheap shooter, but this time not brought to the west by morons. the cover actually looks good and it has 2 versions of psyvariar which are both rather different.

seen metal slug and strikers 1945 around for about a tenner each on PSOne as well. re released recently i guess.

the new cover art and such makes you want to punch peoples faces really hard, but getting such a great game for such a low price makes up for it :unsure:

Believe it or not, the local retailers here in Gibraltar are actually selling MLF2 at full price. ;)

in which case, if i lived there, i'd still want to punch certain people in the face ;)

MLF2 doesn't particularly interest me, but if it did I'd certainly have a word with the managers down at my local indie. Thing is, they're generally nice chaps and normally price things fairly (Psyvariar and Gregory Horror Show were both at £15, for example), so I don't see why they're selling this at full price. Maybe they got screwed by their suppliers?

/shrug

MLF2 doesn't particularly interest me, but if it did I'd certainly have a word with the managers down at my local indie. Thing is, they're generally nice chaps and normally price things fairly (Psyvariar and Gregory Horror Show were both at £15, for example), so I don't see why they're selling this at full price. Maybe they got screwed by their suppliers?

/shrug

nah its not the pricing people i'd want to punch, its the people who thought they'd change the name, replace the cover etc ;)