Top of the Lake - Jane Campion Series Coming to BBC

top-of-the-lake.jpg

Synopsis: 12 years old and 5 months pregnant, Tui Mitcham walks into a freezing lake … then disappears. Detective Robin Griffin returns home to investigate, but it’s not a simple missing persons case. In this breathtaking but remote mountain town, there are evil forces as powerful as the land itself. And those who offer a glimpse of paradise also provide a path to hell. Trapped where happiness and honest work are just out of reach, Griffin must not only find the girl but also face her own haunting past. With the men that she once left behind now standing in her way, every step closer to solving the case unearths a dangerous truth about herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC96smxkf50

With a cast including Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men), Peter Mullan, David Wenham, and Holly Hunter it looks like it should be one to keep an eye on. It debuts in America in March so hopefully the BBC show it around the same time as they have helped fund it.

Sorry that I had to make you work so hard.

The reason I didn't mention The Piano in the header (which I contemplated doing) was because I think this work looks rather different and it could have put people off from potentially checking out the thread and series.

Because the people that will know Campion by name will also be aware that The Piano isn't the only type of film she makes and won't be put off by me mentioning her name whereas highlighting a particular film (one that is quite divisive) would. Putting her name in the header also makes this topic easier to search for at a later date. However, if I'd known it would cause such an issue I really wouldn't have bothered sticking her name there at all.

"The Australian Broadcasting Corporation was set to co-produce and help fund the production but pulled out of its deal when Jane Campion cast American Elisabeth Moss in the lead role. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation had only agreed to help fund the project if an Australian or New Zealander was cast in the lead role"

..good to see the Aussie's being as open minded as ever. :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Surprised not to see this thread resurrected - for me this has been the best thing on TV so far this year. It takes me back to watching Twin Peaks for the first time many many years ago, but without the surrealism. If you haven't seen it yet, catch up with it on iPlayer and you're in for a major fucking treat,

Yeah, I burned through it on Netflix over a couple of evenings recently. Really compelling, miserable, slightly weird stuff in an incredible setting. Felt like it could run a bit, with such a rich bunch of characters and their goings-on.

I finished it this evening, it was pretty good but we guessed every plot point by half way through the series, including all the various big reveals in the last couple of episodes. Too much foreshadowing. The relentless misery made up for the predictable plotting somewhat. There's something about small-town stuff like this which I always love, the remote location reminded me of Twin Peaks. I also burned through Les Revenants this week, which had some strange similarities but was ultimately more compelling. I had numerous issues with the plotting, especially vital clues continually falling into their lap or walking past their window whenever the plot needing to chug forward a bit, but the themes, individual characters and the naturalism of the performances ultimately kept it engrossing until the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Halfway through this now and have to say really damn good. I haven't guessed a thing yet. Maybe I'm stupid but don't realise?

Definitely reminded me of Twin Peaks, for sure Jane Campion was influenced.

One to watch for those that haven't.

I've watched 4 episodes now and I'm just not into it. I don't care about the central mystery, I don't care about Detective Robin, I don't care about her mum and I don't care about the weird feminist retreat.

I love Scandinavian stuff where it's all character development and I adore Twin Peaks being incongruous and all the better for it so this should be right up my street but I find myself zoning out through every episode and going "oh, he was in Neighbours" as a form of entertainment.

• 2 years later...

Two year bump! Just watched this. Did no-one but me think that it was the worst-handled, most ludicrous police investigation they've ever seen? Everyone acted so completely unrealistically throughout, it makes me wonder whether New Zealand is actually a third world country when it comes to law, or whether it was supposed to be surreal nonsense. Well acted, atmospheric and enjoyable, but just utterly stupid.

Strangely enough, after watching the first episode for what might've been the fourth time I actually followed up by watching the remaining episodes over the last week. Turns out the first was by far the best, after that the tone was all over the place (like wtf was that whole Matt dating thing?), not sure there was one single character in it that wasn't creepy and/or generally unlikeable in some way either.

Still, despite saying that I did enjoy it but I'm glad it didn't go beyond the half dozen episodes or so that it was, but if there had been one extra episode I'd like to think it would center around Johnno actually buying some fucking shoes.

• 2 months later...

I've only seen the first episode and thought it was very promising, I have the rest in my pile to watch.

I finally got round to watching the rest over the course of the past two weeks.

Incredible acting, especially from the kids and Mullan, beautifully shot, stunning scenery, but utterly grim and despair-inducing.

As for the way the police handled the investigation, it was obvious from the outset the force was corrupt, and being out in the middle of nowhere meant Matt was pretty much a law unto himself. Guessed where it was going with Al, after he started coming on to Robin.

This is actually coming back this year with Robin investigating another missing child. Nicole Kidman was signed up to star alongside Moss but has dropped out in the past few months.

I actually really enjoyed all the weird side stuff like the drug den, the coffee shop, and the women's camp. It really fleshed out the world and made it slightly more bearable when the bleak stuff happened.

• 1 year later...

I binge watched it over the last week. I hadn't seen the first series, but, from the trailer, was expecting a police procedural drama akin to Line of Duty.

Even though I watched the whole thing, I found it very disappointing.

Spoiler

Really horrible characters all over. I didn't warm to any of them.

Way too much family drama.

Too many coincidences.