IGNORED

Packing up the 360

Moz

I don't get why you would get rid of the 360, just because a new console is coming out doesn't make all the classics on it redundant. I know I will keep going back to Fallout, Skyrim, even Oblivion, maybe replay Mass Effects or Dragon Age, I certainly will be playing Trials again and again.

My 360 catalogue almost matches that of my PS2 (slim version of course), so that's a lot of gaming memories you're missing out on.

I'm not one to go back to games I enjoyed though. Other than playing FFVII and MGS on my Vita, I don't think I've ever gone back to a game years later.

There's just too many good new games to play, to be able to find time to replay older ones too is just beyond the confines of my limited gaming time.

I don't get why you would get rid of the 360, just because a new console is coming out doesn't make all the classics on it redundant. I know I will keep going back to Fallout, Skyrim, even Oblivion, maybe replay Mass Effects or Dragon Age, I certainly will be playing Trials again and again.

All of these games are ridiculously better on PC.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I packed mine up a week ago now. Stuff like the announcement of Pac-Man CE coming to Steam and playing Spelunky this week says it all, really. (Though many steam titles before that did too.)

I do hope this Steam Box thing comes sooner rather then later.

I traded my 360 in towards my PS4 pre order on Saturday. Felt weird. Like saying goodbye to an old friend. Over it already though.

This is what I'm probably going to do. Seem to be playing games exclusively on the PC at the moment, only using the 360 for films or rarely playing local co-op games (which seems to be a dying option with everything going towards online co-op) when my mate comes over.

But I do so want to play Destiny, and MS have put me right off owning an Xbox One.

That's the only reason I'm not selling yet as well. On one hand there's only a handful of arcade titles I'd ever want to replay, but at the same time, despite how horrible the UI now is, it's STILL thousands of bucks of shit, at a guess. Rock Band especially.

Totally fine with selling most of the retail stuff, though.

Don't think I could ever bring myself to part with the 360, too many fond memories and unplayed games to even consider it.

Worst case scenario I'd be quite happy for it to remain sat under the TV and be used exclusively as an XBLA console during the next generation.

Don't think I could ever bring myself to part with the 360, too many fond memories and unplayed games to even consider it.

Worst case scenario I'd be quite happy for it to remain sat under the TV and be used exclusively as an XBLA console during the next generation.

Kind of similar there's just too much on the HDD to get rid of it. 200+ games. Some reasons to keep it?

Rockband (20gb worth)

Rez HD

Outrun

Afterburner

NightsHD

Pinball FX2 (all tables)

TrialsHD + Evolution

Marble Blast

SSFIV

It's not even worth doing a list - the above alone is pretty much enough never mind the other 194+ titles. It may not get frequent use but it'll still be more than my wiiU has had since launch and there's so much unfinished business on there it could probably keep me going for years if I wasn't constantly drawn to the allure of the new.

• 4 months later...

Packing up my 360 this afternoon I was reminded of this thread.

I bought a 360 after a year or so (not counting the launch model I had for a week then sold for a profit) and played some great games on it. PGR4, co-op Gears, Fallout 3, GTAIV and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. It wasn't perfect, but the controller had great sticks and it was exciting. Initially I wasn't that into XBLA, but the indie stuff looked great. At some point it died and I had it replaced, then it died again but had a fault which meant Microsoft wouldn't repair it. This was just after the NXE launch but I never really got much chance to use that.

After it died I decided that I wasn't paying for another one. I don't play online a lot and I'm not that precious about the sticks (the 360 sticks are worse than the GameCube ones for my money, and I much prefer its analogue buttons to triggers so that controller still holds my favourite ever spot), so I figured they couldn't be as bad as the 360 d-pad which prevented me playing Street Fighter and made even brief text entry a complete chore. So I bought a PS3, reasoning that 99.9% of the things I gave a crap about we're multi-format.

The PS3 didn't do anything out of the box that wowed me. It made fighters and anything that used the d-pad much nicer which was good for me because I'd gotten kind of tired or the shooting and driving games which the 360 controller is best for. Aside from it's media playback (which actually worked), it didn't really do anything better than my 360 had. Then it sat there, and I did all my gaming on it for years. Nothing happened in the FPS or racing genres to reignite my interest, I played all the multi-format stuff I wanted to and the 360 exclusives seemed to have become a stream of rehashed sequels.

A while ago, I bought a 360 slim off here cheaply with the intention of playing the few exclusives that I had missed and maybe giving some driving and FPS games another shot. It's a fucking horrible machine now, constantly asking me to fucking sign in and asking for my fucking phone number. People whine about PS3 installs and updates, but the time you spend staring at fucking loading icons on 360 is insane. The UI is a mess, it expects you to sign into shitty live to do anything and the hideous avatars and adverts are front and center, blocking my view of the games.

It's genuinely like a totally different machine to the one I had all those years ago. Using it is utterly horrible and the reduction in functionality if you don't have live genuinely shocked me. I loved playing Portal and the sequel with a 360 controller and played through Witcher 2. I confirmed that I hate Forza as much as all other games which involve driving real cars in circles. The 360 pad doesn't make what the FPS genre has become any less repulsive to me. But god, if it hasn't had Minecraft exclusively I'd have got rid of it ASAP. Switching back to using the PS3 isn't a brilliant experience, but at least it fucking works.

It's a damn shame what MS have done to their brand.

Seeing this thread again reminded me of the current state of my friends list... I'm still playing SFIV on my console, but many people in my list have either jumped to the PC (GFWL means that they still show up as online, just with the little monitor icon) or seem to be using their console for Netflix, iPlayer etc more than gaming stuff. :(

I'll still hang on to mine, of course, but I'll probably move to PC or PS4 soon enough...

Packing up my 360 this afternoon I was reminded of this thread.

I bought a 360 after a year or so (not counting the launch model I had for a week then sold for a profit) and played some great games on it. PGR4, co-op Gears, Fallout 3, GTAIV and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. It wasn't perfect, but the controller had great sticks and it was exciting. Initially I wasn't that into XBLA, but the indie stuff looked great. At some point it died and I had it replaced, then it died again but had a fault which meant Microsoft wouldn't repair it. This was just after the NXE launch but I never really got much chance to use that.

After it died I decided that I wasn't paying for another one. I don't play online a lot and I'm not that precious about the sticks (the 360 sticks are worse than the GameCube ones for my money, and I much prefer its analogue buttons to triggers so that controller still holds my favourite ever spot), so I figured they couldn't be as bad as the 360 d-pad which prevented me playing Street Fighter and made even brief text entry a complete chore. So I bought a PS3, reasoning that 99.9% of the things I gave a crap about we're multi-format.

The PS3 didn't do anything out of the box that wowed me. It made fighters and anything that used the d-pad much nicer which was good for me because I'd gotten kind of tired or the shooting and driving games which the 360 controller is best for. Aside from it's media playback (which actually worked), it didn't really do anything better than my 360 had. Then it sat there, and I did all my gaming on it for years. Nothing happened in the FPS or racing genres to reignite my interest, I played all the multi-format stuff I wanted to and the 360 exclusives seemed to have become a stream of rehashed sequels.

A while ago, I bought a 360 slim off here cheaply with the intention of playing the few exclusives that I had missed and maybe giving some driving and FPS games another shot. It's a fucking horrible machine now, constantly asking me to fucking sign in and asking for my fucking phone number. People whine about PS3 installs and updates, but the time you spend staring at fucking loading icons on 360 is insane. The UI is a mess, it expects you to sign into shitty live to do anything and the hideous avatars and adverts are front and center, blocking my view of the games.

It's genuinely like a totally different machine to the one I had all those years ago. Using it is utterly horrible and the reduction in functionality if you don't have live genuinely shocked me. I loved playing Portal and the sequel with a 360 controller and played through Witcher 2. I confirmed that I hate Forza as much as all other games which involve driving real cars in circles. The 360 pad doesn't make what the FPS genre has become any less repulsive to me. But god, if it hasn't had Minecraft exclusively I'd have got rid of it ASAP. Switching back to using the PS3 isn't a brilliant experience, but at least it fucking works.

It's a damn shame what MS have done to their brand.

Why, that may just be the most sensationalist post yet.

Where does this thing about 360s asking for phone numbers come up? I turn mine on on average once every two weeks, and I don't think I've ever been asked to give any information. It just logs me in the same as it always did.

It is to do with your live account security or something. I occasionally get asked "HEY IS THIS THE ALT EMAIL YOU USE IN CASE OF SECURITY BLA BLA?" and I answer, "yes this one works" at which point it signs me out anyway and I have to sign in again. I've been a recent thing this year. Does it every so often. Really annoying.