IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

Ditching the Wii U would be really fucking stupid. It's exactly what Sega did with the Mega CD and the 32X. No wonder people chose the PSX over the Saturn, and didn't give two fucks about the Dreamcast (no matter how awesome both of those are).

Like Moora says this thread should be "The trouble with the Wii U: a TLDR topic".

I think lifetime sales of the Wii U will end roughly on par with the Gamecube, maybe a bit less. The Gamecube had a decent library of Nintendo titles and things like RE4 exclusive for a while and was £80 for ages and still wasn't selling!

That was because it was purple and had a handle and smiled at you.

at least with ps4 and xbone people know they are covered for the next 5 years and will be getting the biggest and best versions of the best games

There won't be a game better than 3D World on either the PS4 or XBone for years most likely (if ever). I'd bet one of Scott's bollocks on it.

I just find it odd that people get so worried about pinning their colours to one specific mast - like buying one system automatically means you have to call all the others shit and not acknowledge the existance of anything even slightly good about them. I love my Wii U, doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to getting stuck into both PS4 and XBone as well though.

Where does it end - all consoles fitted with NFC that makes them refuse to work if they are sharing a cabinet with a rival system? MS, you can have that one on me ;)

There won't be a game better than 3D World on either the PS4 or XBone for years most likely (if ever). I'd bet one of Scott's bollocks on it.

Resogun

Edit: and I'm betting The Witness, when it comes out.

Edit 2: Also the inevitable PS4 release of Wetrix 2

it's what people always forget, Nintendo sell 3DS and WiiU and make a lot of money out of software because they own the platforms ... combine that with fact that Nintendo combined both mobile and home gaming divisions and rumours that the next console may be a combination of both... and that they have an obscene amount of money in the bank, and they are going to be just fine.

Resogun

Edit: and I'm betting The Witness, when it comes out.

Edit 2: Also the inevitable PS4 release of Wetrix 2

Really?

Well I've played it a jolly lot more then 3D World so far. With Mario I know what I'm getting. Resogun fills a high score itch which, depending on the mood, is a lot more then Mario could offer.

Edit: And yeah totally hyped for Witness

Perception is reality in these situations. Xbox was the black hole of Microsoft finances for years but it still sold well enough and had enough good buzz that it never became a problem and the PS3 burned through all of Sonys Playstation 1 and 2 money like before they turned it around but it was never faced with the negativity Nintnedo face now about one low selling console.

Thanks to Apple tech companies need earth shattering sales and year on year growth to be perceived as a success, trundling along like Nintendo does without making major losses and being only just profitable isn't enough.

The notion of 'nothing will come close to Mario on next-gen' is very subjective to what people like playing was my point. It also undermines some truly great next-gen titles that are out/are coming. I didn't like it but Killer instinct some people are loving. Past the micro-transaction nonsense and Forza is a decent (and amazing looking) racing game (despite not being arcadey enough for my liking), etc.

I loved Rogue Legacy this year. Should I count that as next-gen? Current gen? I've only played Runner 2 more than it this year.

Nothing will come close is such a silly statement to make.

Has there been any explanation of the gameplay in Witness? It just looks like maze puzzles scattered about a 3D world.

A new Myst is how I see it, essentially. Island of puzzles. Not that I was ever a fan of Myst but I'm certainly a fan of Mr Blow. Well and it does look pretty.

Has there been any explanation of the gameplay in Witness? It just looks like maze puzzles scattered about a 3D world.

That's basically it. It's Myst "done right" in the sense that each puzzle isn't built on unique and arbitrary logic but builds on the understanding of previous ones, a bit like Portal.

I expect it to basically create a little genre of similar titles, in the way that Portal did.

Long term - I still expect WiiU to do better than the gamecube as the library just grows stronger and stronger and the device gets cheaper.

Saving this for future quotage.

I'm a fan of Braid - Mr JB hasn't made enough games for me to be sure that whatever he comes out with will be great. What I've seen of Witness doesn't particularly inspire, but we'll see...

I wish Fez man would get his head out from his arse and get Fez on other platforms though.

Saving this for future quotage.

I'm saving your quotage of my quote for future quotage

All this talk about how Nintendo are fucked and should go third party because of Wii U sales....

How about combining Wii U sales with 3DS and compare to total MS and Sony sales...

Yeah, Nintendo as a company are selling OVER DOUBLE than Sony or MS in terms of total hardware.

This topic is about the trouble with Nintendo.... Hmmm over a million hardware sales per week at the moment.... Yeah, they're exactly like SEGA...

Is this the chart you're referring to?

OqAYgEI.jpg

...which is for Japan only (nobody buying 360s, no mention of PS4/XB1)?

EDIT: and not to mention that in the previous month, the Wii U was selling half of the PS3's total?

wow! talk about a strangehold. nintendo's products account for nearly 75% of *all* systems sold for that week/month? it boggles the mind when people keep stating things like, "nintendo should really re-think and get out of the hardware market" :blink:

Is this the chart you're referring to?

OqAYgEI.jpg

...which is for Japan only (nobody buying 360s, no mention of PS4/XB1)?

EDIT: and not to mention that in the previous month, the Wii U was selling half of the PS3's total?

There are already games on the Xbone/PS4 I'd pick over 3D world, but that's because like all other things there are gamers out there that don't like Mario platformers. I'm one of them. I enjoyed a lot of Nintendo's other franchises over the years, but I've never understood the love those games get.

I do think its interesting that Nintendo dont seem to realise that perhaps (note, perhaps) some people are bored with their core franchises and see little reason to buy a WiiU when it doesnt offer much new from the wii.

They need new franchises. And they need to learn how to market again(which they were perfect at in the wii/ds era)

Lack of interest in Pikmin 3 has been one of 2013's gaming crimes... It's a brilliant game. Is it just the cute style of it that puts people off?

I just think it's a style/genre that's never going to gather interest from a huge amount of people. The fact it's the third instalment in a series that was never hugely popular in the first place. Personally that's the one game on the Wii-U that would interest me, as I adored the original. I never got on with Pikmin 2 at all though.

I think Napoleon is correct in that many of these games will attract a small hardcore following, but they'll always struggle to be more that highly rated niche titles. I doubt even Nintendo expect Pikmin 3 to sell hardware, but I guess they may be disappointed in the numbers it does sell if it sells badly compared to other first party titles.

Lack of interest in Pikmin 3 has been one of 2013's gaming crimes... It's a brilliant game. Is it just the cute style of it that puts people off?

Not for me, I played the original game on the GameCube and I just didn't find it much fun to play back then. A bit of a chore and not much fun at all. So I'm not really itching to play the followups, even though they look great graphically.

For me the only Wii U games I'm interested in are SM3DW, NSMBU and Zombi U. Lego City looks OK-ish, although I doubt it's the kind of game I'd play to completion after the initial novelty has worn off. The family stuff will be fun for the kids but no reason for myself to get enthusiastic about a console.

So yeah, basically I'm pestering my wife to buy a Wii U so I can play Mario. Again.

If I had a WiiU and found this cheaply I'd likely buy it, but it isn't a system seller for me. Like katamari on PS2 - a great game, but not one I'll buy the console for.

Sadly the Nintendo games I do like they seemingly can't be arsed with anymore. A new pilotwings and wave race would sell a WiiU to me

If I had a WiiU and found this cheaply I'd likely buy it, but it isn't a system seller for me. Like katamari on PS2 - a great game, but not one I'll buy the console for.

Sadly the Nintendo games I do like they seemingly can't be arsed with anymore. A new pilotwings and wave race would sell a WiiU to me