IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

It would have been prudent for Nintendo to say that they were temporarily withdrawing the service while they consider what to do about its misuse, if this was the case.

Yep, absolutely. If they'd have said "We're stopping the swapnote service, but look out for MiiVerse 3DS coming soon" it would have corked some of this stuff for sure.

They pretty much all charge higher than you can buy at retail, which would be the RRP. Look at the price of any CoD/EA Sports games on the various download stores. CoD Ghosts is £49.99.

Nintendo have also been pretty progressive with eShop versions of first party games in other ways - the various sales where buying a number of games gets you another for free, giving people who buy a game a free copy to give to a friend, the Pikmin 3/W101 discount. Game also usually have the download codes for first party games for less than the eShop.

Who cares about EA, honestly? Give wider examples. The one i can personally think of is Diablo III being £50 on PSN, which is of course crazy.

The buy 2 get the third cheap (not free) Virtual Console promotions only run for a week, great, but blink and you'll miss it.

The Pikmin/W101 discount did nothing for those that want their games on physical discs that they're able to sell if they want to.

There's been far better deals on Live and PSN over the years. Or at least don't feel like they're screwing you over horribly over retail.

Edit: Both the 'buy 3 3DS games, get Animal Crossing free' and 'Get Monster Hunter 3DS by doing whatever it was' promotions were good though, no lies there.

Who cares about EA, honestly? Give wider examples. The one i can personally think of is Diablo III being £50 on PSN, which is of course crazy.

The buy 2 get the third 3 Virtual Console promotions only run for a week, great, but blink and you'll miss it.

The Pikmin/W101 discount does nothing for those that want their games on physical discs that they're able to sell if they want to.

There's been far better deals on Live and PSN over the years. Or at least don't feel like they're screwing you over horribly over retail.

Do you get much wider than "Every other publisher"? How many examples can you give of publishers selling digital versions for less than they are available at retail day one?

I think the difference is both other consoles don't carry on selling their launch title stuff at full price, and also don't charge higher then physical retail RRP day one. Unless your telling me the RRP is £50 too.

Crazy Nintendo.

Of sensible Nintendo if you're running a business. Slashing the prices of Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy weeks after release didn't do SE any good because everyone knows they can wait and it'll be £20 in no time. I mean Mario Kart DS is still selling for £24.99 and if came out years ago and people are still buying it for that price.

You're twisting words. I was saying that OTHERS - as in everyone else - did not shut down their online service at the first sign of abuse.

What others are we talking about - what other cases of people directly grooming through a gaming service do we have like this?

Nintendo are a toy company, they create toys for the family. Somebody grooming on facebook or something is not the same thing, it has nowhere near the same potential impact on their business and image.

And really, Nintendo did not shut down their online service - they shut down a specific piece of it. A small, potentially troublesome, non-revenue generating chunk.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/08/15/the-struggles-of-marketing-the-gamecube/

Toward the end of the GameCube era, Nintendo lost confidence in their own fans. Nintendo was losing market share with each new console launched.

“Pride turned to arrogance. Ugly arrogance. Nintendo started to develop contempt for the gaming community. They felt as if they were being betrayed by the gamers they created. The marketing teams started to look at gamer focused strategies with ire and spite.” says Mercury. “The “hardcore” Nintendo audience was equally cast aside. “Why bother? They’re going to buy anything we put out anyway.”

Yeah I read that earlier. Fascinating, I forgot all the weird marketing stuff they did with the Gamecube.

Someone, sadly I forget who, would later quote in one of those meetings that “Consumers don’t want fun anymore; they just want to kill people… in HD.” It was actually kind of true, and with the cultural differences between Japan and the US, it was easy to understand the confusion,” said Mercury in 2011.

Unfortunately accurate.

That quote is interesting, but the Gamecubes sales suffered from more than a few Nintendo issues.

Firstly the loss of Rare. Their output was key in the N64 days and many of the core Nintendo audience wanted more from them. The sale to Microsoft left an exclusive software gap in their line-up, including the FPS genre. Let's not forget for the west likes to shot things argument that it was Goldeneye on the N64 that was as key a title in the genres explosion on consoles as Doom was to the PC market.

They also still suffered for poorer third party support than their competition the PS2/Xbox, notably no GTA titles. The third party support for the GC was better than the N64 received, but it was still poor compared to what the competition offered.

I agree with aspects of that article though. In truth I've abandoned Nintendo, as they moved in a direction that wasn't for me since the GC. I can live with that, as my gaming time is limited these days so splashing out for a second console for a handful of titles isn't going to happen for me. I loved the GC but sales and marketing wise it was a flop, so I can easily see why what I want is something they've moved away from. I guess titles like F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080 etc just don't make a profit for them.

Gametrailers Top 10 Ways Nintendo can step it up

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/cxfwc9/gt-countdown-top-10-ways-nintendo-can-step-it-up

10) Implement an achievement system
9) Buy SEGA
8) Axe Wii Sports Club passes, and don't pull those kinds of moves in the future
7) Rally indie developers
6) Rally third-party publishers
5) Introduce some new franchises
4) Unify the Nintendo account systems
3) Launch a full-fledged Pokémon game for Wii U
2) Drop the Wii U's price even further
1) ADVERTISE!

That list is ridiculous. So in order for Nintendo to succeed, they need to become even more like their competitors. And I'm sure buying Sega will make the hardware fly off the shelves. I do agree with the need to advertise, though.

The Nintendo article makes me wonder if it'll be another 10 years before we find out what on earth their current thinking in the offices are.

In that sense, SEGA lost only because of mis-management of money. They totally knew what people wanted from games. Wernt shy to innovate their franchises or make totally new ones. In many respects Nintendo don't deserve what they've gotten out of the Wii era, it's only showing now.

/annoyedoldsegafanboy