The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Wahwah*

A wider selection of games is always a good thing, I just wonder how well games that were designed with portable platforms in mind will hold up on a home console. I know that good games = good games, but for me the difference between handheld gaming and big screen gaming is pretty big. I love a game like Pullblox for example, but I would never play it on my Xbox.

It is a handheld.

Many iOS games require multi-touch, though - they won't work.

At least none of the good ones will. All the shitty ones that just "virtual D-pad" controls might work I guess - though they'd be a bit pointless on a machine with proper pad controlled games. Stuff like League of Evil is only notable because it has virtual controls that almost work. Why anyone would buy it on a machine with a pad that has Megaman is beyond me.

I was working on a short contract for a children-focused game that was coming out on most major consoles. One of the juggling acts the company has to… juggle when making a game across multiple platforms to make sure they finish at roughly the same time so they go on sale simultaneously. One thing preventing this are the hardware manufacturers who each have their own unique set of rules and regulations all games must adhere to before they will be approved: the dreaded TCRs.

Nintendo is historically a harsh master, with a reputation for having a very high standard before they’ll approve your game (remember the ‘Nintendo Seal of Quality’?). I was told at the time that Nintendo will always fail your first submission no matter how much care you take in respecting their TCRs; they’ll find something you missed, or find some other bugs and just fail you on those regardless of how bad they are.

So it made sense for us to prepare the Wii build a little earlier than the others, to test for and fix only the most glaring issues, and send that build in so we could get that first doomed submission over with and have some guaranteed time to fix everything else in the Wii version for the second submission roughly a month later.

Nintendo passed the game on first submission.

It was decided to not submit a second time.

This was on the Trenches - Wii shovelware explained

It's not really that people (probably kids) are stupid these days, it's just that the culture is to get help instead of trying to solve something yourself.

Stuck? Go to GameFAQs. I knew a kid who, in the PS2 era, would buy a game and a walkthrough at the same time because he didn't like getting stuck and just wanted to blast through games.

I probably got stuck on one of those bits in Super Metroid when I played it. I think I managed to break that tube in Maridia just by accident but I could have been there for weeks.

I played a bit of Super Metroid recently for the first time and got stuck in those places too. I did figure it out but I guess if it's easy to stick something up requesting help that's what people will do. Especially people who have been brought up on games where hand-holding is the norm.

Also when Super Metroid came out it came with a huge book telling you how to do everything up to the first big boss or so.

Thank God it's not just me who remembers this! All this carping on the internet about the youth of today (nintendolife are doing it, too), and not one other person seems to remember the original came with a MASSIVE GUIDE!

Must be old age, I suppose.

Edit: or people playing on VC and then pretending they played it back in the day to earn max respec.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-17-nintendo-wii-u-death-by-apathy

We're not officially allowed to report sales numbers from Chart Track in the UK but everyone in the publishing business can see them quite clearly. There's no need for pretence. When you can get to number one in the Wii U charts by selling less than 1000 units it's no longer a tragedy, it's an actual farce.

Oof!

Where does that rate on the Dreamcast-o-meter?

There's *no way* WiiU sales are going to be reflective of next gen in general. It's bombing because Nintendo dropped the ball, big time.

No, but the next gen is hardly going to be a panacaea for publishers' woes in general. Until they find a way to survive without having to rely on AAA titles, console/multiplatform games publishers are going to continue to drop like flies, and a couple of new games consoles is hardly going to solve that problem.

Man the main Wii thread went mental yesterday. The second biggest third-party publisher in the world announces that they're not developing for the Wii U anymore. No matter what you think of EA, and I have a very low opinion of them, it's a pretty big deal worthy of discussion. But that thread is pretty much just six pages of "2NapWe6.gif Who cares about those losers, we didn't need them anyway!"

Angel was bang-on about it not having a universal game in the shape of Wii Sports/Wii Fit in order to really try to drive uptake. Zelda, Mario et al isn't going to do shit on that front and equally excites me as much as a bowl of soggy cornflakes.

Things look grim.

Wait a tick... So let me get this right.

There is a door, in Super Metroid, where if you fire 1 missile at it, it does nothing. When you fire 2 at it, nothing, 3, nothing. 4, nothing. 5, it opens?!?!

Fuck me, glad I've never bought a copy. That is atrocious design.