IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

The problem with Nintendo is that they seem to have some unexplained dislike of online leaderboards. It's one simple thing that I've taken for granted over the past generation and there are loads of Nintendo games I would have played for dozens of hours more had they been included. Especially Mario Kart 7/3D World/NSMBU/NES Remix.

I can't wait to be disappointed again when Mario Kart 8 arrives!

Butthurt from all the negative news much? What did I actually say? what was I replying to originally?

Complaints of spin from the resident wizard of the decks/glass almost full advocate is a bit much, it's only a company who makes games quoted on the stock market, I ain't critiquing your mum or slagging off your football team :)

I noticed they already own 2 JRPG developers who make the sorts of games Nintendo can't be bothered to themselves and they don't even put them to maximum profitable use, somebody suggests they should have bought another niche one, I disagreed.

The 2 Western devs they now own are put to work mining existing Nintendo developed games, not going to move the needle, try something else.

Vacancy: Sub-editor required.

Luigi's Mansion was considered a disappointment. They used a western studio and made an excellent follow up, which many people consider to be even better. It's a popular game on the 3DS and has probably had quite an impact on 'moving the needle'.

And...?

Let me ask you a general question about an observation.

Looking at the Nintendo known release list and what games they have their various studios working on, would you consider Nintendo to be taking risks to expand their potential userbase by placing big bets on new experiences, or are they doubling down on what works? And do you think that is enough to stop erosion of their customer base? Or expand it even?

Doing my best Pachterdamus impression, I think (based on current evidence/trajectory), Nintendo will follow the rest of the Japanese games industry into becoming marginalised unless they do another Wii/DS, but as that seems to have zero longterm benefit anyway (based on 2+ years of evidence), even that may just delay the inevitable.

Imagine if Disney were still relying on Mickey Mouse and friends as their flagship selling product, instead of diversifying into a global media powerhouse, that's what I think Nintendo should do if they want to remain relevant longterm.

Vacancy: Sub-editor required.

Are you offering? mind showing me how to improve my writing then?, if it offends.

I reckon the announcement will be that they're moving to android for handheld OS, maybe even home console.

Would give them more access to android games, easier to develop for third parties plus they don't have to develop their own OS in house.

There's been talk of an android Nintendo device for kids.. Can't find the link...

The problem with Nintendo is that they seem to have some unexplained dislike of online leaderboards. It's one simple thing that I've taken for granted over the past generation and there are loads of Nintendo games I would have played for dozens of hours more had they been included. Especially Mario Kart 7/3D World/NSMBU/NES Remix.

I can't wait to be disappointed again when Mario Kart 8 arrives!

If MK8 is a step down from MK Wii in that regard then I probably won't bother buying it. MK7 was a bitter disappointment.

As some people want to talk sales figures and financials, I've DYORed it for you and looked into the China thing, pretty much what I commented on in the sales figures thread, some traders/punters obviously clueless and just momentum trading it, "Buy on the rumour, sell on the news" as they say.

Nintendo has put on US$8bn in market cap in 6 months in anticipation moving to smartphones. We dont think so,downgraded to Underperform.

Nintendo - up another 4.3% today...JP broker saying company to announce change in strategy to smartphones on Jan 30th results - we disagree.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-08/the-end-of-chinas-game-console-ban-wont-save-nintendo

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/09/china-lifts-its-13-year-ban-on-video-game-consoles.aspx

The market opening “would have been useful if it happened 10 years ago, when most gamers were really interested in consoles,” says Michael Clendenin, managing director of Shanghai-based market-research firm RedTech Advisors. With the government finally opening the market after so long, “it’s sort of like saying the old CRT TVs are legal in China, now that everyone has LCD TVs.”

You might also want to check out the wiki for iQue, Nintendo are already there, along with the existing grey console market.

Will Nintendo move away from their own hardware to smartphones? No - of course not. 3DS is doing very well.

Will we see Nintendo stuff on smartphones in the near future? Yes - I think we will.

Not sure what the definition of 'stuff' will be though.

If MK8 is a step down from MK Wii in that regard then I probably won't bother buying it. MK7 was a bitter disappointment.

MK Wii is the only one I didn't really play. I have it, but I've probably not even raced every cup. I don't know why; I love almost every other Mario Kart game (except MK64) and I played them all to death. I did hear that the way it handled time trials was pretty great so I oughta give it a shot.

I did like MK7's communities but I'd rather time trial than race, mostly.

MK Wii is the only one I didn't really play. I have it, but I've probably not even raced every cup. I don't know why; I love almost every other Mario Kart game (except MK64) and I played them all to death. I did hear that the way it handled time trials was pretty great so I oughta give it a shot.

I did like MK7's communities but I'd rather time trial than race, mostly.

Does NOT compute :omg:

Does NOT compute :omg:

I dunno. I didn't actually own a Wii for the longest time so that's a big factor. Even the Wii I now have isn't technically mine, my wife bought it from dreadful Radlord. My two most played Mario Kart games are Super Circuit and MK7, so maybe I just like the convenience of Time Trialin' on the go.

Nintendo games on Android smart phones? Making iOS controllers? Christ, that's even less likely than Mario games appearing on the PS4 and Xbone.

i'm not so sure, they could make relatively cheap games based on their existing properties. This would be seen as a marketing move to get more people invested in those properties and thus drive hardware/software sales elsewhere.

Well it'd be a lot easier for Nintendo to say no to smartphones if they were successful in their own way. This GAF thread has a good set of details:

Investors by-and-large are pushing for Nintendo to change direction from their current strategy. Many Japanese companies are turning towards smartphones as an avenue for growth, and investors want Nintendo to pursue smartphones as well.

A well-attended conference call with Nintendo occurred on December 20th. In that call, Nintendo confirmed Iwata's previous statement that Nintendo will take advantage of smartphones, with more details to come later...among other statements. This doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo will be releasing iOS / Android games in January, though. Iwata has previously mentioned Miiverse on Smartphones, Twitter / Social Media advertising, and other avenues rather than actual games. But, he is definitely getting pushed closer and closer to the subject. The pressure on Nintendo is intense at the moment.

Iwata conceded that, contrary to his original plans, he will hold a corporate strategy meeting after the Q3 release to discuss the state of Nintendo and their current strategy. If Q3 results are below expectations, this could very well translate into some sort of company overhaul.

I do think Nintendo should ultilise the android/iphone market however i do not think they should have full games on the thing.

They could easily make simpler titles (ie clones/mini games) and release them on the devices. No one would ever pay full price on the 3DS for a endless runner style game surely? I don't see a problem with smaller games like that, or miiverse or pokemon bank etc.

I however would think released Mario 3d land or Mario Kart would cause issues with their own products and secondly they would be crap without proper controls.

Personally i wouldn't mind if a Nintendo smartphone device came out using android, as long as it had traditional controls as well if they did decide to go that way in the future.

Personally, I don't think Nintendo should release on smartphones. It'll be the start of a gradual errosion of peoples perception of them and their games. Once people start to see Nintendo IPs appear on non Nintendo devices they'll begin to see little point in aquiring the hardware, no matter how much more fully featured the games may be.

Nintendo should see smartphones as opportunities for marketing their stuff just like anything else... the web is a platform, billboards, TV... and smartphones.

The trick is to put stuff on smartphones that makes people want to buy their bigger stuff. So, perhaps a wee thing that is cool to play with, but if you had a 3DS or WiiU would be sooo much more. Dunno what it is...

Personally, I don't think Nintendo should release on smartphones. It'll be the start of a gradual errosion of peoples perception of them and their games. Once people start to see Nintendo IPs appear on non Nintendo devices they'll begin to see little point in aquiring the hardware, no matter how much more fully featured the games may be.

Exactly, Nintendo know it too, but the alternative currently is ever decreasing hardware sales leading to ever decreasing software sales, vicious spiral. I don't have any opinion/ideas on how they can fix it, otherwise I'd be applying for an advisory position on their board, a hefty renumeration package per year with performance-related bonuses isn't bad work if you can get it. Just fascinating to watch them do their thing, boom to bust to boom and back to bust again.

We now live in a world of companies giving you free/cheap ride entry, you need an awful lot of compelling rides if you want to continue to charge a hefty entrance and high ride fees, most people are getting conditioned to expect less for much less, it's like Hi-Fi enthusiasts complaining nobody wants to buy SACD or expensive seperates instead of MP3s and an iPod and a pair of godawful Beats.

I don't think that the perception of value on smartphones currently have an impact on people's opinions of Nintendo. Obviously everyone I know owns a smartphone, and its amazing how many of them seem morally averse to paying anything for games or apps on it, even 70p. Several of those same people own 3DS' and think nothing of paying £30 for a game because that's the value proposition they're used to. DS games cost that much but phone games are free, and I think for those type of consumers would have that turned around entirely if there were any Nintendo games on phones.

I agree that companion apps, Miiverse or something is a decent idea, but I genuinely believe that starting to make smartphone games would kill them.

Nintendo won't put their new games on mobiles, it would instantly kill interest in buying any of their handhelds because the assumption will be that if they wait long enough they'll show up the phone anyway.

What are all the iOS games making staggering amounts of money anyway? Everyone seems to think Nintendo on iOS will solve all their problems but with a few notable exceptions and taking into account Apple's 30% cut you people aren't going to spend £30 for a Pokemon game on it. Look how much everyone complained about XCOM which was only £13.99 for a near faultless port home console game that only came out a year before.

Let me ask you a general question about an observation.

Looking at the Nintendo known release list and what games they have their various studios working on, would you consider Nintendo to be taking risks to expand their potential userbase by placing big bets on new experiences, or are they doubling down on what works? And do you think that is enough to stop erosion of their customer base? Or expand it even?

Doing my best Pachterdamus impression, I think (based on current evidence/trajectory), Nintendo will follow the rest of the Japanese games industry into becoming marginalised unless they do another Wii/DS, but as that seems to have zero longterm benefit anyway (based on 2+ years of evidence), even that may just delay the inevitable.

Imagine if Disney were still relying on Mickey Mouse and friends as their flagship selling product, instead of diversifying into a global media powerhouse, that's what I think Nintendo should do if they want to remain relevant longterm.

Well Bob, I think they're already worldwide. Though of course I get your point.

I'd also argue that Nintendo doesn't NEED to grow that big, it would be detrimental to their core values most likely.

Because they sure don't make Mickey Mouse, Donald and Goofy cartoons like they used to.

Growth for growth sake sucks.