IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

when its £150 bundled with Mario...

Still it's pretty sad when you hear figures like Xbone and PS4 outsold total Wii U annual sales in just 2 days. So many things to blame - Iwata, lack of 3rd party support, unclear message on what it is, lack of advertising, rubbish online infrastructure compared to the competition - but also of changing tastes. Back when they were dominant, most gamers wanted the Marios and Zeldas, they wanted simple to understand yet challenging - and fun - gameplay. Now they want epic stories and killing. You would think that being family friendly, parents would be buying Nintendo for their kids in droves - but sadly they are letting their ever increasing violent minded kids decide what to buy. Hence why you have 13 year olds online shouting abuse in CoD.

but also of changing tastes. Back when they were dominant, most gamers wanted the Marios and Zeldas, they wanted simple to understand yet challenging - and fun - gameplay. Now they want epic stories and killing.

The reason Nintendo were so successful to begin with was that their games were "epic" compare to the 10 minute, arcade focused home computer games of the 80s.

You wanted a Nintendo because Zelda had a battery save (wow, never heard of that before) and had gameplay that lasted for hours. It was an ADVENTURE. Mario had hidden levels - loads of stuff you never experienced on a C64 or Spectrum.

I do think Nintendo are in a bit of a no-mans land at the moment, the 5 minute casual games are on tablets and phones, the 50 hour bore-athons designed for 13-25 year olds with OCD are on Sony and MS consoles.

The bigger question is - can the home console industry still survive focusing purely on that market segment? Charging more money (£55 PLUS additional content) to a smaller market share...

Anyway, the one thing that will keep Nintendo going - you need to buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games.

Look at the lists of 2013's top games doing the rounds. Nintendo games make up quite a bit of those lists when you include both the 3DS and Wii U (this is about Nintendo, not just the Wii U).

Again - want to play any of them? Need a Nintendo.

"violent minded kids!

"50 hour bore-athons designed for 13-24 year olds with OCD"

The contempt dripping from a lot of posts in this thread for the audience who've committed the cardinal sin of not buying a Nintendo console is quite something.

lol

I don't have a nintendo console, I had a 360 for years and now a PS3. It is true, kids today want violence more than Mario.

As for Nintendo games consistently being in the most top rated games... does that matter when sales are so low?

Also, is this a good deal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Just-Dance-Party-Nintendoland/dp/B00GH99XQU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=24DFUDC62QAMG&coliid=I2JH098S9EXAOC

As for Nintendo games consistently being in the most top rated games... does that matter when sales are so low?

So is this about good quality (and most importantly fun) games or how many they are selling?

When people do their "top 10 games" of a console or computer - do they say "the list of the top 10 games on the Playstation has to include at least one FIFA game, because it was the all formats top seller in 1999."

Interesting stat on Eurogamer - 14 of the last 28 UK Xmas number ones have been EA published games. 8 have been FIFA.

Seeing as they sold so well, I take it that FIFA makes the top 10 for each generation?

In ten years time, no-one will give a fuck how much a game sold, only if it's actually any good.

Erm, if a game doesn't sell well then budgets for subsequent games are cut, to the point where it gets cancelled.

And it definitely matters when you hear stats like the new consoles outselling in 2 days what the Wii U sold over a year.

I'm sure the Nintendo board are seeing this right now, don't know why you are so defensive over it.

Sooo much revisionism...

C64 and Spectrum had epic games WITH saves. Elite was produced in UK 2 full years before NES was even out in UK. And it isnt the only example. There were adventures both text and graphical and point/click like maniac mansion. One of the first games I bought for Vic20 had a save game facility (Pirate adventure cartridge by Scott Adams I think, save was to tape).

This idea that the UK was lover of the NES and Mario and Zelda in the early to late 80s is the worst kind of revisionism that does down our own UK development scene in the early 80s... Noone at my school had a NES it was all C64s, spectrums, bbc micros for the nerds and electrons for nerds with poor parents. Oh and the oddballs with dragon 32, ti99, oric atmos... We had a huge amount of games produced in UK for all these machines from simple 10 minute arcade games upto epic time sinks like Lords of Midnight and Knightlore and Alien 8 and and and ...

Apologies if this comes off as eulogising but I see posts like this regularly talking about the NES in relation to UK when it was almost an irrelevance from 1980-1990... after that when Nintendo started distributing it instead of Mattel it may be a different matter but by then the 8 bit home computer generation was on its last legs.

We should embrace our 8 bit home computer development industry that thrived and produced alot of talent still around today... instead of papering over it with phrases like "10 minute, arcade focused home computer games of the 80s"... you can argue that the majority were, but then the VAST majority of NES games were too!

This probably belongs in "Retro" I know :)Its launch of course its £55...

Every generation we see Sony and MS and Nintendo try and up the base price of games. Last gen PS3 games were £50 in game and so were the 360 games in launch window (I have receipts somewhere probably :/). WiiU games were £55 in Game at launch (ZombiU was as I recall)... what is cost now? 40-45. PS4 and Xbox one will settle back to what consumer will pay which is that sort of region.

Already I have gotten hold of AC4 for £26 (on offer and I got cheap PSN credit from cdkeys) and Battlefield for £31 (again offer and cheap psn credit)

DLC? I'm ok with as long as it has plenty of C :)... as for micro transactions, they can fuck off if they affect the game in any way shape or form..

The Master System kicked the Nes's arse over in the UK. At one time the SMS was Europe's best selling console and once the 8bit home computers passed it was the entry level system for gamers. I know in my school nobody had a nes but there were lots of us that had Master Systems. The nes only got any attention because of the Ninja Turtles bundle, before that it was only a system you'd heard of, maybe played the Mario demo console in Dixons before you got kicked out.

Only just got around to reading the OP. I agree with all of it really, Nintendo do not give any reason for people to invest in the Wii U. The Wii got lucky because it had that aura around it with the new motion controls, even I bought into that, £180 out of my pocket because I thought it was going to be something special. That said though the only 2 legit "wow" moments in the first 12 months were wii sports and Mario galaxy, the only reason I got past the first year easily is because the younger me could amuse himself with shit like Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids.

I think Nintendo got lucky with the Gamecube in some ways, it didn't sell the best but 3rd parties were very much behind it, Sega were throwing exclusives onto the system, Capcom were giving it exclusives (which later became timed exclusives), Namco released RPG's as exclusives, it got the best version of Soul Calibur 2, It had an MGS remake, Namco and Sega making Starfox and F-Zero, Nintendo making a Pac-Man game, 2nd parties making games like Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime, gimmick controllers that will stand the test of time (DK Bongos), getting nearly all the big multiformat games, compared to what we got with the Wii U and Wii Gamecube owners were fucking spoilt and that's without mentioning how cheap the system itself was.

How exactly was the Wii lucky? NIntendo saw that going to for equal power with the big two didn't work with the Gamecube and tried something different. It was a massive success that they just haven't been able to build on. By that logic the DS was lucky as well, touch screen gaming a couple of years before the iPod Touch took off when by all rights the PSP should have killed it in short order because it was a more powerful machine with lots of big console games on a handheld and many more than have come to the Vita. If it wasn't for the Wii I doubt Kinect or Move would ever have been released.

The Master System kicked the Nes's arse over in the UK. At one time the SMS was Europe's best selling console and once the 8bit home computers passed it was the entry level system for gamers. I know in my school nobody had a nes but there were lots of us that had Master Systems.

This really does belong in retro now but at the time SMS came in (distributed by Mastertronic no less!) again it was the tail end of 8 bit computers ... Sales were slow to begin with (quicker than NES tho) and for first few years of 90s it was outsold by the Amiga 500 before finally overtaking it... in UK specifically.

The white one doesn't have the premium points back thing which means you end up losing out a fair bit in terms of value over the long term.

Isn't that only if you plan on playing any download games, ever?

Right now there's only about 5 titles I can thing of that have been announced or are out that I'll want to play.

Only reason I'm even going to try NSMB U on my BayonettaStation is it's bundled in, although I have heard it's a lot better than the last couple of entries.

How exactly was the Wii lucky? NIntendo saw that going to for equal power with the big two didn't work with the Gamecube and tried something different. It was a massive success that they just haven't been able to build on. By that logic the DS was lucky as well, touch screen gaming a couple of years before the iPod Touch took off when by all rights the PSP should have killed it in short order because it was a more powerful machine with lots of big console games on a handheld and many more than have come to the Vita. If it wasn't for the Wii I doubt Kinect or Move would ever have been released.

The Wii got Lucky because it managed to be a big success despite its massive short comings. The DS never got lucky it was just all around good.

I tried to get my 4 yr old nephew to play mario on my old DS lite yesterday. He was initially grasped by the graphics and colours and kept touching the screen. But when I told him he had to move mario around with the pad and buttons he just immediately switched off and couldn't be bothered. All he wanted to do was to touch the screen to control things... I guess this applies to all game consoles but since Nintendo are planting their flag squarely in the children camp it affects them more than others.

If I have a kid I'm not letting them near a touch screen until they've competed at least 2 original gameboy marios!!

I don't think I'd want to take that chance. I think I'd find it too hard to take if my own kid couldn't/wouldnt play non touch screen based games. Apart from anything I think it promotes perseverance and eye hand coordination. Kids don't seem to get enough of that nowadays, from my limited experience at least.