IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

I agree with all of that.

I'm glad that even if nobody is buying them Nintendo are making new games that my kids can get excited about and play so that they understand what purely designed, mechanically perfect games are.

Amen.

Why the fuck are they staggering VC releases? It's bad enough that I have to pay £1.50 to "upgrade" my SNES games to Wii U, but only one of them is fucking there for me to give you the fucking money for? Why isn't this system level shit? And where's my fucking upgrade for my Wii Sports Resort disc to get the new versions? What the fuck is wrong with them that they're not trying to get me to keep buying their hardware when apparently I'm one of the only people still fucking doing it? You should see my fucking Club Nintendo account, it's insane how often I buy the same ones of their games on new machines. Why don't they want my money?

It's this I can't understand. They are doing a worse job with the VC than they did when they launched it on the Wii. They should have found some way to port the existing library over and then continue to add to it. Imagine if Apple released new iTunes software and then decided to drip feed the artists available. Barmy.

Has there ever been an Iwata Asks or Direct, or whatever, about what's involved in putting a title up on the Virtual Console?

It seems like a no-brainer to dump all the Wii VC content straight onto the Wii U eShop so it's a treasure trove from Day 1, but does each of those have to be treated like any other bit of software going up there? Do they have to resubmit every title for age classification in each territory (or any other sort of licensing gubbins) and QA it on the Wii U version of the emulator? Are third parties responsible for doing this for their own VC games and following whatever procedures Nintendo have in place for releases, or is it all in Nintendo's hands?

They kind of did that when iTunes Plus was a thing.

i've never bought anything from itunes, but after i wrote that i thought, they probably would have tried already :lol:

either way, its bullshit.

Imagine if these were games you bought on a PS3 and then the PS4 came out and you couldn't play them at all...

imagine sony get a ps1 emulator going on ps4, and then charge you again for all the ps1 games you already bought on ps3/psp/vita. i'm sure nobody would mind.

On the one hand, scott is entirely right that the lack of transfer of games between consoles is rubbish across the board. On the other hand, as Fuddle points out, at least Sony have the good grace to make sure that their emulated games do work across the board, generation to generation, on both handheld and TV console, with a single purchase.

So, yeah, congratulations on being the worst of a bad bunch there Nintendo. Good work.

As most on here may have guessed i'm pretty pro Nintendo but my god the online account system is shocking...

Both my daughters are getting console for christmas, 2ds and a 3ds xl so i thought i would set up their accounts ready and have them linked to wii u - one qualifies for a free game so getting it all done before christmas day means can get the game downloaded straight away.

All sounds sensible and easy so i go on the wii u and make a nintendo network id for each of them under their user account, all done without to much grief so i go to login into the nintendo website and details not taken - after much retrying i realise that the nintendo network id is separate to the club nintendo :o but it does say to use nintendo network id to setup an account - ahh easy you would think... nope, have to go through a setup process and create a separate account and then go onto the wii u and link them - wtf, talk about long winded!

But all is well that ends well ehh, well during the network id setup i put the year of birth in wrong for youngest daughter - day and month fine but put year of eldest in..... no worries will change it, hmm cant seem to - search and you cant :o nintendo's solution is to delete the network id and start again.

But wait, you cant just delete the nintendo id - you have to delete the entire user account and start again, you cant use the account ever again or reactivate it - needless to say the youngest will have access to 18 rated content when she is 13 as i'm not going to delete the entire account to correct her dob!

They make amazing games and i even like the hardware, wii u is brilliant IMO but the account and online stuff is shocking, its not even like its old as obv steam and live predate it and work brilliantly since day one, it is just crap!

Hang on... I've set up a NNID for one of my boys (still need to do the other) ahead of Santa bringing their 2DSes... Are you saying there's something else I need to do on the website before they can use those IDs on the 2DS? Or get their Mario freebies?

You're right though, their online is shockingly poor. I've never used any of the rivals' versions so it's not like I have something far superior to compare it to. It's just objectively bad.

Hang on... I've set up a NNID for one of my boys (still need to do the other) ahead of Santa bringing their 2DSes... Are you saying there's something else I need to do on the website before they can use those IDs on the 2DS? Or get their Mario freebies?

You're right though, their online is shockingly poor. I've never used any of the rivals' versions so it's not like I have something far superior to compare it to. It's just objectively bad.

You can only link one NNID to a club mario account, to get anything or collect points separately they need their own club mario account to link to their NNID. As above, 2ds doesn't qualify for free mario 3d land :(