IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

The big difference is that the Nintendo long tail is the price the game was at launch, Mario Kart DS is still £24.99 new and that came out 2005 whereas titles you mentioned are now Platinum hits of GOTY bundles for much less then their original RRP. Unless a Nintendo game bombs like Other M they don't get traded in as much and the sale price remains high.

True (to an extent, though Halo 2 sold for a high price in its homeland for years), if you solely looked at the recent past, when those flagship games were on highly popular long tail hardware and Nintendo resisted even thinking about a budget reprint line for years, but going back a previous home console generation showed the other side, a budget reprint line happened barely 1 year after launch, and even with that, Super Mario Sunshine is the lowest selling 3D Mario so far (and it started way better than the current iteration, in the middle of the dead season). As I said, there seems to be some correlation between general longterm sales popularity of the hardware and how much even popular games can hope to sell over time.

3D Mario has trouble getting too much further than 11 Million LTD, even when you give it 100 Million existing customers to sell to, no matter what the quality of the underlying game.

Nintendo are courting indie's as well. They're even showing off indie content in Nintendo Direct presentations.

I heard at one point Nintendo were courting indies but it does not seem as though they have as many indie games in the pipeline much like Sony has.

I heard at one point Nintendo were courting indies but it does not seem as though they have as many indie games in the pipeline much like Sony has.

Yeah they don't seem to be directly courting indies at all. Just a bunch of kickstarted games which have the WiiU as a stretch goal. Imagine something like No Man's Sky as a timed exclusive or something.The Amnesia games would be a good fit as well imo.

PS4 seems to be doing better with exclusives like Rime.

Caught the tail end of the US Nintendo Direct. Weird to see Reggie brought on for like a minute to talk about the microtransactions in Bravely Default. Like Iwata couldn't sully himself talking about that. "Oh hey there are microtransactions in Bravely Default, but they're totally optional and don't affect the game, back to you Mr. Iwata."

Yeah they don't seem to be directly courting indies at all. Just a bunch of kickstarted games which have the WiiU as a stretch goal. Imagine something like No Man's Sky as a timed exclusive or something.The Amnesia games would be a good fit as well imo.

PS4 seems to be doing better with exclusives like Rime.

Well they are. My post had nothing to do with Kickstarter stretch goals. They're obviously not shouting about it enough though.

Caught the tail end of the US Nintendo Direct. Weird to see Reggie brought on for like a minute to talk about the microtransactions in Bravely Default. Like Iwata couldn't sully himself talking about that. "Oh hey there are microtransactions in Bravely Default, but they're totally optional and don't affect the game, back to you Mr. Iwata."

It's already out in Japan (and Europe), so why would Iwata talk about it?

Well they are. My post had nothing to do with Kickstarter stretch goals. They're obviously not shouting about it enough though.It's already out in Japan (and Europe), so why would Iwata talk about it?

They're probably courting but it does not seem to be translating into games being ported or made. I've heard of the odd game coming out but I was expecting an avalauche of them going by the interest that was said to be for the Wii u. The machine would be a perfect fit for those kind of games. Another missed opportunity by Nintendo it seems as they need to be really shouting about what is coming in the pipeline much like Sony has. Sony has really been connected to their userbase.

What commercial imperative is there for an independent dev to favour or spend the money on a Nintendo port versus the myriad of other options they have now? Every single platform holder wants their business, and assuming they aren't blinkered fanboys, they'll go where they feel they can maximise their time and money investment.

Certain indies are long time Nintendo supporters and seem to be remaining loyal to the cause, but anybody else will go with the pragmatic option if given the choice. Commercial failure is just as pressing a problem for a direct developer with their own money on the line as it is for a mere employee of a commercial organisation.

Certain indies are long time Nintendo supporters and seem to be remaining loyal to the cause

I can't think of any besides Gaijin Games, and they've told openly the hurdles they had to go through getting the Bit Trip series working on the Wii for little financial gain. Runner 2 is only on Wii U after they figured 'well, the rest are on nintendo, might as well put this one too'. Not because they needed/wanted to/it made any financial sense to.

Edit: Wii U version was announced months after the fact.

Edit 2: Oh and I also point them out because they wanted to make the series on Wii initially (and no other platform) because, and in their words 'WE WANT OUR STUFF ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE'. That was the only thinking they had back in whenever.

I sometimes detect some sort of hope that Indies will help save the Wii U/and or other Nintendo machines as they can't get the major commercial devs onboard when reading discussions on the matter elsewhere, but with the renewed push from Sony and Microsoft, along with the other, wider audience options open to an indie these days, it seems more hope than something based on any clear trends. We have developer people on this very forum who have a long history with Nintendo, surely, they of all people would be the first to sign up now that Nintendo are welcoming indie devs with open arms? A bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, even for indie devs.

The 3DS has such future classic indie games like:

101 Penguin Pets 3D

Banana Bliss Jungle Puzzles

Fishdom H2O Hidden Odyssey

Angry Bunnies

Mystery Murders: The Sleeping palace

Jewel Match 3

Christmas Wonderland 3

Secret Agent Files: Miami

Jett Rocket 2: The Wrath of Taikai

Brunch Panic

Halloween: Trick or Treat 2

Snow Moto Racing 3D

Crazy Chicken: Director's Cut 3D

Happy Cirkus

And many many more.

I'd say it saved Vita quite well for people that like to have many many good software titles to play. (and fairly affordable)

Even the every day gamer snobs the Wii U. I haven't seen much of that going on for the Vita.

I see the Vita being more like the PSP. Lot of people will buy the hardware but whereas on PSP no one bought any software because of piracy PS+ means that no one is buying full price software for the Vita because they are willing to wait a few months to get it got free.

I see the Vita being more like the PSP. Lot of people will buy the hardware but whereas on PSP no one bought any software because of piracy PS+ means that no one is buying full price software for the Vita because they are willing to wait a few months to get it got free.

I'd be surprised if people stopped buying games full-stop because of PS+. I imagine the only people that would take that course of action are the types of people that wouldn't buy that much software anyway. Given there are plenty of games to choose from and no way of knowing what will be picked, you aren't going to wait forever and a day in hope it'll turn up on the service at some point.

Incidentally, are there are figures for how many people are paying for PS+? And how many of those only have a Vita and chose to go for PS+?

They've never given hard figures on users with PS+, apparently they made $140 million from it last year which would be around 3.5 million paying $40 each. Imagine it's ramped up a bit since with the increase in quality of games in 2013.

If anything it's made me buy more, if only for the 10% discount you get on sale items as it regularly pushes the prices into "you'd be mad not to" range. Happily bought Tearaway at launch too.