The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Wahwah*

Thank god it bombed*. Don't want anything resembling that ever again.

*It hardly bombed though. Vgchartz has it at roughly the same sales globally as Prime 2. Prime 3 did slightly better. It was discounted quickly though and i'm sure it didn't make sales expectations.

Nintendo are courting indie's as well. They're even showing off indie content in Nintendo Direct presentations.

The WiiU is currently the indies dream machine. No fee's, they can set their own prices etc. It's far better to work on and now is pretty much on par with how sony treats indies. MS and behind both of them.

Unless a Nintendo game bombs like Other M they don't get traded in as much and the sale price remains high.

Despite suggestions to the contrary, Nintendo published games can and do get discounted, regardless of sales performance. The key is that these are usually titles developed outside of Nintendo, where Ninty are only acting as publisher. While the likes of core Mario or Zelda games might not get discounted much, if at all before their budget releases (which take years), anything outside of those core internally developed games is fair game for discounts.

So while Nintendo don't reduce the prices of their games like pretty much everyone else, they certainly can and do when the mood suits them.

As for them being traded in or not, I think it's a never-ending circle there. Game etc charge a premium for used Nintendo published games, because of the amount of time the new copies stay at their original price. The number of copies won't really affect their pricing because they know the new copies won't yoyo in price every month.

The WiiU is currently the indies dream machine. No fee's, they can set their own prices etc. It's far better to work on and now is pretty much on par with how sony treats indies. MS and behind both of them.

In theory yeah but Mojang didn't choose Microsoft as a partner because of their attitude, they chose them because they knew the game would get distributed properly to a wide audience. At the end of the day indies may as well just stick to pc if it's just about publishing fees.

And yet we get shed loads of indie stuff on ms and Sony... Not so much on wiiU and certainly not the more recent classics like minecraft terraria limbo don't starve binding of Isaac hotline Miami etc etc etc

And if you want to blame lack of support on poor sales? Then why does vita get massive indie support compared to 3ds?

Less than two weeks ago, Nintendo rolled out Reggie to be ridiculed on VGX for exclusively announcing Cranky as a playable character for Donkey Kong, so I'm not really holding my breath for this Direct. Unless Iwata really hates Reggie and slaps him in the face by making an actual cool announcement for once. It'll probably just be the stiff, semi-formal unpassionate talk with a lot of apologies for not delivering and then maybe showing some footage of some delayed games we already heard about over a year ago.

Less than two weeks ago, Nintendo rolled out Reggie to be ridiculed on VGX for exclusively announcing Cranky as a playable character for Donkey Kong, so I'm not really holding my breath for this Direct. Unless Iwata really hates Reggie and slaps him in the face by making an actual cool announcement for once. It'll probably just be the stiff, semi-formal unpassionate talk with a lot of apologies for not delivering and then maybe showing some footage of some delayed games we already heard about over a year ago.

thatsthejoke.jpeg

Didn't Iwata even say not to expect them to get developers/exclusive deals on board too often as it would be too expensive for them? (he was referring to the Bayonetta deal)

http://playeressence.com/iwata-discusses-nintendos-stance-third-party-companies/

I think you are thinking of that they do not want to get into bidding wars with the other platform holders over exclusive deals. (ill ++you to reduce the negs - unless you like the neggs? neg?)

Nineteno direct today - maintenance on wii Sports today too - maybe we will have some golf for Christmas!

http://playeressence.com/iwata-discusses-nintendos-stance-third-party-companies/

I think you are thinking of that they do not want to get into bidding wars with the other platform holders over exclusive deals. (ill ++you to reduce the negs - unless you like the neggs? neg?)

Nineteno direct today - maintenance on wii Sports today too - maybe we will have some golf for Christmas!

Ah, remembered it wrong then. Thanks for correcting!

I want to see how this antigrav nonsense actually makes any difference at all the the gameplay in Mario Kart and isn't just a diversionary tactic from how dull they've become.

Also I want to see them explain why SSB:Whatever This Ones Called isn't a bad game. (Protip: it can't be done).

:D I like Superfrog. I bought the HD version on the VIta a couple of months back and enjoyed it. It's nothing spectacular but it was carried through by the nostalgia, much the same as certain other platform games are I think.

Superfrog was a terrible Sonic knock-off, even at the time and among the milieu of bad Sonic knock-offs made for the Amiga. Team 17 were more often style than substance.