IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

If they can't flog a game of that apparent quality to the early adopter true believer market, why will the less reluctant be buying it up in any greater numbers over time to make up for the bad start compared to previous entries?

Eh? By that logic, any game released will sell to everyone on day 1, and then nobody else, ever. Because if they didn;t buy it on day 1, why will they ever buy it in any number down the road right?

Of course people will see it, hear about it, perhaps even play it somewhere and then go on to buy it. Sales legs in this fashion is a pretty standard 'Nintendo' thing now - many of their recent titles have gone on to substantial sales on the back of less than incredible opening days/weeks.

It'll sell just fine. In the end, quality usually comes through.

I was reading the post by Radish and just thinking what is up with this poor chap, i mean he is playing some decent games but clearly something is wrong in his gaming life if there is nothing Nintendo have made he likes or consoles are wrong...

My childhood gaming memories are of Superfrog (PC)

BOOM

Did no one call childline or social services?

The minecraft thing (and yeah I've never played it either) is neither here nor there on its own but a really good example of Nintendo being way off beam. Playstation and Microsoft you could argue have looked to attract (all of?) the PC gaming fraternity and western games from day one whilst Nintendo haven't particularly been arsed. PC gaming meant fps's and the Xbox and Halo were a massive gamechanger on the console side of things. CoD came in after and took up the baton and it incrementally went ballistic from there. Obviously a top notch on-line service was crucial for all this from the off and if friends all want to play together then they'll all need the same console.

Driving games, skating games and snowboarding games? Third person action adventure games? Yep. Open world sandbox games? Well duh, GTA! All covered with knobs on. Equally western rpg's (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim etc) have become big names on the PS/MS consoles as have all of the EA sports games. But PS and MS have also made big third party efforts in the east too (Final Fantasy, Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Dark Souls, Metal Gear, Bayonetta, Super Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Castlevania, Resident Evil etc etc etc).

Instead of doing any of that, Nintendo have just concentrated on their own games and their own consoles foibles

As said above its indicative of their attitude... Sony and MS are both courting indie's and getting loads of "ports" and fresh indie stuff on their consoles.

Nintendo dont seem to care. One game may not sell WiiU's but if the WiiU had an indie slate like the Sony and MS machines it would be another positive selling point and some of those indies are PERFECT for the gamepad.

BAsically 1 new third party game or 1 new indie game would not increase sales but strong Indie and strong 3rd party support would.

But the latter is a dead duck (no publisher is going to sink millions into a WiiU 3rd party game without incentive now) so the former is their only route

Strange post.

Mario 3D Land came out at the tail end of 2011, not really a short space of time. I wouldn't have said they were very similar and I'm very familiar with 3D Land, but I can see why people would think they were.

AC4 is an inferior port, but it's not twice as expensive, it's the same price. The only ones that are more expensive are the PS4/Xbox One versions.

Lastly, It's not 'ridiculous hyperbole' is it just because you don't agree is it? That's as much of a stupid thing to say as 'but only Nintendo know how to make fun'. I mean, out of the games you listed, I personally think at least 3 of them are absolutely awful. Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim really turn me off. I don't think I would describe their praise as ridiculous hyperbole. Or at the very least it wouldn't baffle me because, like you point out, people like different things.

I played Mario 3D Land a few months back, I didn't realize its release date was 2011.

I bought AC4 for about £14 at launch on the PC. That's why the Wii U version is twice as much (same with the other console versions).

Your argument against me saying there's ridiculous hyperbole is to call Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite "absolutely awful"?

I stopped reading at that.

Why? The PS3 was excellent because of the exclusives (TLOU) but if you have a good PC then it becomes a lot harder to justify having a console (especially a next gen one, or a Wii U). If I want the couch gaming experience I just use my wireless 360 controller and play the game on my TV instead of my monitor.

I was reading the post by Radish and just thinking what is up with this poor chap, i mean he is playing some decent games but clearly something is wrong in his gaming life if there is nothing Nintendo have made he likes or consoles are wrong...

BOOM

Did no one call childline or social services?

:D I like Superfrog. I bought the HD version on the VIta a couple of months back and enjoyed it. It's nothing spectacular but it was carried through by the nostalgia, much the same as certain other platform games are I think.

As said above its indicative of their attitude... Sony and MS are both courting indie's and getting loads of "ports" and fresh indie stuff on their consoles.Nintendo dont seem to care. One game may not sell WiiU's but if the WiiU had an indie slate like the Sony and MS machines it would be another positive selling point and some of those indies are PERFECT for the gamepad.BAsically 1 new third party game or 1 new indie game would not increase sales but strong Indie and strong 3rd party support would.But the latter is a dead duck (no publisher is going to sink millions into a WiiU 3rd party game without incentive now) so the former is their only route

Nintendo are courting indie's as well. They're even showing off indie content in Nintendo Direct presentations.

The minecraft thing (and yeah I've never played it either) is neither here nor there on its own but a really good example of Nintendo being way off beam. Playstation and Microsoft you could argue have looked to attract (all of?) the PC gaming fraternity and western games from day one whilst Nintendo haven't particularly been arsed. PC gaming meant fps's and the Xbox and Halo were a massive gamechanger on the console side of things. CoD came in after and took up the baton and it incrementally went ballistic from there. Obviously a top notch on-line service was crucial for all this from the off and if friends all want to play together then they'll all need the same console.

Driving games, skating games and snowboarding games? Third person action adventure games? Yep. Open world sandbox games? Well duh, GTA! All covered with knobs on. Equally western rpg's (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim etc) have become big names on the PS/MS consoles as have all of the EA sports games. But PS and MS have also made big third party efforts in the east too (Final Fantasy, Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Dark Souls, Metal Gear, Bayonetta, Super Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Castlevania, Resident Evil etc etc etc).

Instead of doing any of that, Nintendo have just concentrated on their own games and their own consoles foibles

Tekken tag tournament two is on the WiiU in Japan. Looking at the back it appears to have Mario characters in it.

But yes, I agree with you

Eh? By that logic, any game released will sell to everyone on day 1, and then nobody else, ever. Because if they didn;t buy it on day 1, why will they ever buy it in any number down the road right?

Of course people will see it, hear about it, perhaps even play it somewhere and then go on to buy it. Sales legs in this fashion is a pretty standard 'Nintendo' thing now - many of their recent titles have gone on to substantial sales on the back of less than incredible opening days/weeks.

It'll sell just fine. In the end, quality usually comes through.

The post I replied to suggested the poor start would make no difference to the long term sales of the game, while I would suggest that is not based on any concrete evidence. To sell aswell as past installments in the 3D Mario series, the current game will have to have a similar long tail, but also sell relatively better during that tail period, to make up for the bad start.

And you do know that the long tail applies to other people's games to, it isn't some Nintendo secret, GTA sells years after launch, GT sells years after launch, Halo was selling years after launch. Popular games have long tails, non-popular games don't, it applies to Nintendo as much as anybody else. You do have to wonder how much popularity of the hardware plays into how long a sales tail games can hope to have, I suppose we are about to find out.

The post I replied to suggested the poor start would make no difference to the long term sales of the game, while I would suggest that is not based on any concrete evidence. To sell aswell as past installments in the 3D Mario series, the current game will have to have a similar long tail, but also sell relatively better during that tail period, to make up for the bad start.

And you do know that the long tail applies to other people's games to, it isn't some Nintendo secret, GTA sells years after launch, GT sells years after launch, Halo was selling years after launch. Popular games have long tails, non-popular games don't, it applies to Nintendo as much as anybody else. You do have to wonder how much popularity of the hardware plays into how long a sales tail games can hope to have, I suppose we are about to find out.

The big difference is that the Nintendo long tail is the price the game was at launch, Mario Kart DS is still £24.99 new and that came out 2005 whereas titles you mentioned are now Platinum hits of GOTY bundles for much less then their original RRP. Unless a Nintendo game bombs like Other M they don't get traded in as much and the sale price remains high.

Thank god it bombed*. Don't want anything resembling that ever again.

*It hardly bombed though. Vgchartz has it at roughly the same sales globally as Prime 2. Prime 3 did slightly better. It was discounted quickly though and i'm sure it didn't make sales expectations.

Nintendo are courting indie's as well. They're even showing off indie content in Nintendo Direct presentations.

The WiiU is currently the indies dream machine. No fee's, they can set their own prices etc. It's far better to work on and now is pretty much on par with how sony treats indies. MS and behind both of them.