IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

By the end of the generation, SM3DW will still be revered and will have sold more than Knack. Knack will be consigned to the 'rubbish titles that was only bought because it was release and there was little else worth getting' pile.

Feel free to store this for future quotage.

It's been great seeing people in the Wii U thread getting on board the multi-coloured fun train, and of course we all love it, but I was talking to our boys yesterday about setting them up with NNIDs on the U "just in case" ;) they get the 2DSes they've asked for from Santa. I said it would mean they could send messages to their friends' Wii Us. Turns out none of their friends have Wii Us. One of their friends has a cousin with one.

So I asked if any of their friends has asked for one for Christmas. Nope. Anyone that's asked for a console wants a 2/3DS, PS4 or Bone.

Oh dear.

If Nintendo want the WiiU to start selling they need to get Minecraft on the damned thing already, kids love Minecraft. It's practically designed for it with that big touchscreen gamepad to handle crafting and inventory management and the dual sticks for exploring, building and fighting.

It's been great seeing people in the Wii U thread getting on board the multi-coloured fun train, and of course we all love it, but I was talking to our boys yesterday about setting them up with NNIDs on the U "just in case" ;) they get the 2DSes they've asked for from Santa. I said it would mean they could send messages to their friends' Wii Us. Turns out none of their friends have Wii Us. One of their friends has a cousin with one.

So I asked if any of their friends has asked for one for Christmas. Nope. Anyone that's asked for a console wants a 2/3DS, PS4 or Bone.

Oh dear.

No iPads? ;)

If Nintendo want the WiiU to start selling they need to get Minecraft on the damned thing already, kids love Minecraft. It's practically designed for it with that big touchscreen gamepad to handle crafting and inventory management and the dual sticks for exploring, building and fighting.

I totally agree and I don't understand why they don't other than a 'not invented here' stubbornness preventing them.

Nintendo hasn't been cool with teenagers since the SNES - and I'd argue that Sega had the 'cooler' image back then because Sonic was FAST and stuff like that.

Anecdotally - kids in the 6-10 'my first console' seem more likely to upgrade a family Wii to WiiU when the time comes. The problem is that parents don't really know about it. So I've asked a few 'what's that new Nintendo thing?' questions recently in the run up to Christmas.

or - which is more likely - just buy cheap tablets full of shitty games because...

Anecdotally - kids in the 6-10 'my first console' seem more likely to upgrade a family Wii to WiiU when the time comes. The problem is that parents don't really know about it. So I've asked a few 'what's that new Nintendo thing?' questions recently in the run up to Christmas.

Ehm, don't you think the parents would know if those kids actually wanted one? What does a child do if it wants something? That's right! They keep pestering their parents about it!

By the end of the generation, SM3DW will still be revered and will have sold more than Knack. Knack will be consigned to the 'rubbish titles that was only bought because it was release and there was little else worth getting' pile.

Feel free to store this for future quotage.

missing the point there aren't you.

Really?

Yeah, believe it or not there are people out there that don't love Mario (or Nintendo). I have more than enough good games to play and two very similar Mario games within such a short space of time is just too much for me. I still bought it at launch because of all the hype and I wanted to see if I could get into it, but it just felt a bit meh. I knew I wouldn't give it much time so rather than sit on it I figured I'd get my money back.

I think there's just a lot of people out there that the WIi U just doesn't cater for. I mostly play multiplayer or online co op games (never local), and the Wii U just doesn't really offer those experiences. Recent games I've played and loved on the PC are AC4, Tomb Raider, Spelunky, Battlefield 4, Dota 2, more Skyrim and I have games like Kentucky Route Zero, TWD S2 (tomorrow) and Bioshock Infinite waiting for me. Almost none of those are around on the Wii U (or, in the case of AC4, are inferior versions that cost over twice as much). I know some people like to say "but only Nintendo know how to make fun" but it just isn't true, all of the aforementioned games are excellent in their own way and there's just not enough time in the world to justify owning a Wii U when there are so many other games to play that don't require another £200 console. It's hard to justify any console really, but at least the PS4 actually has a userbase (none of my friends have a Wii U and already 4 have bought a PS4, with several more waiting for stock) and eventually a far greater variety of games.

ZombiU was actually a system seller for me as it sounded like my kind of game, but I ended up being hugely disappointed with it. I've already put significantly more hours into Spelunky than I had ZombiU (or any other Nintendo game) and at a fraction of the cost and you know what? As atmospheric and tense as ZombiU was, Spelunky is actually just more fun.

I don't know what my point is really, just to say that there are people out there that just find Nintendo to be a bit "meh" and are baffled by the ridiculous hyperbole that sometimes surrounds them and their games. I also didn't grow up playing Nintendo games so I don't have the happy childhood memories of playing Zelda at Christmas or whatever and I wonder if that's part of it. My childhood gaming memories are of Superfrog (PC) and Stonekeep. What a fucking game that was. Those Goblins actually scared me.

retrostone2.jpg

Strange post.

Mario 3D Land came out at the tail end of 2011, not really a short space of time. I wouldn't have said they were very similar and I'm very familiar with 3D Land, but I can see why people would think they were.

AC4 is an inferior port, but it's not twice as expensive, it's the same price. The only ones that are more expensive are the PS4/Xbox One versions.

Lastly, It's not 'ridiculous hyperbole' is it just because you don't agree is it? That's as much of a stupid thing to say as 'but only Nintendo know how to make fun'. I mean, out of the games you listed, I personally think at least 3 of them are absolutely awful. Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim really turn me off. I don't think I would describe their praise as ridiculous hyperbole. Or at the very least it wouldn't baffle me because, like you point out, people like different things.

I don't know about you, but every kid I know in that age bracket knows exactly what they want and even tend to start writing lists and shit to some fat bearded house breaker detailing exactly what they want.

You're one of those tell give the kids what you want them to get rather than what they want folk aren't you? Like the adults currently getting counselling from the trauma of asking for a C64 or Speccy48 and ended up getting a Tandy from a beaming dad wondering why his dad takes so much pleasure in hating him.

I love how the Zelda guy only tried Skyrim because it had Sky in the title.

Makes me wonder if they have any idea of the quality of games coming out of the indie scene, or er, anywhere beyond their noses really.

Because at the end of the day that's what it's all about, the games. Not tablets or never mind that you can't even do online functions to the same decent degree as your compeitiors, but if you had the games, you'd have more user base. Guaranteed. Everything else about the system is just stuff to improve that would add pleasure on top of the games.

I agree. It'll be their friends. Kids tend to want to get the same stuff, be "cool". Getting a Wii-U this Christams and talking about it at school must be like getting a pair of BHS own brand addidas four stripe trainers in the 80's. You'd be a social leper.

Exactly, they need to sort this asap.

They even copied the flying bits. It's an entertaining game but it only highlights further why mk is still the best.

I think the flying and water bits were just coincidence. Or NINTENDO SPIES.

S0L can confirm this himself, but they had already planned on that feature way before Nintendo revealed their game, Sod's law will dictate that who gets to market first gives the 2nd entry the taint of copying, even if they didn't.

“It was quite funny, right”, says Sumo producer Joe Neate. “We were sitting in a meeting room at work watching the E3 conferences and Nintendo came on and we all wondered if they’d be doing a new Mario Kart. Then they had a montage of things and you had a kart sprout wings, and we all looked around the room, and then you saw a car go into water and we were all like ‘no fucking way!’”

“But then they went into each one in depth”, Neate continues, “and although it’s kind of flying, it’s more falling with style because we’d discussed something similar to that in pre-production as we were trying to work out how to get these three modes in and we called it falling with style as you’re always falling but you have some choice. Whereas the driving under water… that’s not boating. So what they have is a kart game with additive options which are really well built on and add to the experience but we’ve gone away with that in what we were doing.”

“There will be a few people who think we’re copying them but no, we’ve been making this game for 18 months”, asserts Neate.

Long tail. Low Wii U sales in the UK. As a % it will end up similar to other 3D Mario games.

It has started worse than any other single new 3D Mario title for all 3 markets we have public data for (which happen to be the 3 largest console gaming markets in the world too), even if you use the attach rate metric to compare relative performance to past 3D Mario games, on a machine with few compelling games competing for attention, and the game itself has been highly critically praised. If they can't flog a game of that apparent quality to the early adopter true believer market, why will the less reluctant be buying it up in any greater numbers over time to make up for the bad start compared to previous entries? If they bundle it, job done, Wii Sports-like attach rate.