IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

Oh boy, I realised Nintendo made great games when I first played Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in the arcade. When I discovered a Super Mario Bros coin op (some hacked VS machine) and found my first headbutt-beanstalk, I realised they make incredible games. I can't imagine a world where COD was my introduction to video games instead of my growing up with the golden age. I think I would have learned guitar or something instead.

It's a fair point... His frame of reference for 'amazing' games has always been CoD and he generally thought playing anything colourful and non-violent or realistic was, in his words, 'gay'. He's pretty much a regular 14 year old.

Fucking America.

What got me annoyed was the whole 'gay if you play games like that' - it's a bad attitude

Aren't you a big CoD fan though?

I like a bit of CoD, usually skip a few years at a time - but I'd never hold them up as wonderful games. They're the gaming equivalent of the film 'Armageddon'

I believed the forum hype when I was a teenager and bought a GC for smash bros.

Looking back on it, I didn't really enjoy the console that much. F-Zero GX was the stand out game. Sunshine was great. Mario Golf was meh. Zelda started strong but tailed off. The fact that there was only one inhabited island which really felt finished really hurt the game in my eyes. So did the fetch quest.

Metroid Prime was great but too difficult for me at the time. Smash Bros seemed to be a brainless button masher and I still pretty much feel that way.

To be honest, I could say what I said about Mario Kart about Zelda. Wasn't huge on WW, hated TP and gave up on Skyward Sword, though it had its moments.

I'm very much a Mario, Metroid, F-Zero and 2D Zelda Nintendo fan. Not bothered with anything else, really.

I loved the Nintendo games on N64. I'm not bothered by Metroid so its absence didn't bother me. But I felt that all my favorite Nintendo games were worse or absent on GC. Then not all of them returned to their glory days on Wii - Pilotwings, WaveRace, F-zero. But I still enjoyed the Wii. The Mario games were great, and the Wii Sports and Wii Fit games were a lot of fun and enough to make me feel I had had my money's worth of fun.

But I don't feel the need for an update of Wii Sports and Wii Fit. So until Nintendo update lots of the series I like, there's no point me getting a WiiU.

I can completely understand a kid not being interested in Mario. I grew up with such games, and for years they were the best games available. But now the industry is bigger and there are many more excellent games. Super Mario Bros 3 only had the best games on the Megadrive to compete with. The latest Mario has the many games on 360, bone, PS3 and PS4 vying for gamer's attention .

I just saw the Lego City ad on TV. Great, I thought, they're actually showing a bit of the game, that's something. Then I quickly realised it just had some not-overly-excited woman talking to over it, and that was it. Jesus fucking christ, it's not a game I'm particularly interested in but I can see why people would be and that it does look like a great game, with a lot of tongue in cheek humour especially. This showcased virtually none of that whatsoever, and made it seem a bit mumsy and boring :facepalm:

They should try to release one machine, portable, perhaps Wii U-ish specced, and that's where all of their content goes. Focus all their development resources and titles in one place, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Pilotwings,Mario Kart, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, Wario Ware, Xenoblade plus a bit of third party stuff like Dragon Quest and Bravely Default.

Might help with the droughts.

then you wouldn't get great same room multiplayers like Wii Sports Resort, Nintendoland, Super Mario 3D World, Wii Karaoke U... etc

So then people would want the games they're playing on mobile available to play on the TV - perhaps like AirPlay. Except they would then complain that the graphics are LOL.

Why should they pack it in? If they come out of this generation making a profit in the long run, which I suspect they will - why pack it in? It would be daft.

Why should they pack it in? If they come out of this generation making a profit in the long run, which I suspect they will - why pack it in? It would be daft.

Nintendo are a company, and they'll want as much profit as possible. Just because something is scraping by it doesn't make it the ideal. As a company with shareholders, if they see an alternative that would generate larger amounts of profit and be more successful then they'd be daft not to do it.

I think they're just relying too much on familiar franchises and are now suffering for it - Knack outselling Mario 3D World seems like a good indication that this is the case. I really enjoyed the 3DS Mario but ended up selling the Wii U one after about an hour as it was just far too samey. Evidently there are a lot of people out there getting tired of these franchises but for some reason Nintendo think that sticking Mario in everything will make it a system seller. It hasn't worked for them yet.

What do they do, though? Wii U has taken a bath and looking at those sales figures, they'll be lucky to pull a Gamecube off with it. The two screen gameplay lark hasn't really done anything - perhaps just proved that people really don't mind offscreen play. If they come in next time banking on another gimmick, it had better be a bloody good one.

What do they do, though?

Ride it out. They will already have plans for a next-next gen machine, albeit very early stages, so perhaps Wii U will only get a three to four year cycle. But that's always a risk Nintendo were taking releasing a down specced console. It's a risk they took with Wii, it just happened to pay off there.

Nintendo are a company, and they'll want as much profit as possible. Just because something is scraping by it doesn't make it the ideal. As a company with shareholders, if they see an alternative that would generate larger amounts of profit and be more successful then they'd be daft not to do it.

I think they're just relying too much on familiar franchises and are now suffering for it - Knack outselling Mario 3D World seems like a good indication that this is the case. I really enjoyed the 3DS Mario but ended up selling the Wii U one after about an hour as it was just far too samey. Evidently there are a lot of people out there getting tired of these franchises but for some reason Nintendo think that sticking Mario in everything will make it a system seller. It hasn't worked for them yet.

Really?