IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

I honestly think some of you lot are mental. The N64 versions of Wave Race, F-Zero and 1080 were all bettered by the Cube versions. All of them.

Can't comment on Waverace, but F-Zero and 1080 were far superior on the N64. I found 1080 Avalanche one of the most disappointing games on the Cube, because it threw everything the original 1080 did so well right out of the window and replaced it with shit ideas from inferior 'extreme sports' games of the time. There still hasn't been a game that nails the feel of your snowboard cutting through the snow on the edge between blistering speed and losing your balance as 1080 did, and that includes the complete SSX series. The only game that came close in feel and tactility was Skate.

Waverace is a much better game on N64 than cube, the cube one was verging on being crap - nothing has come close to n64 waverace and it still has the best water ever.

F-zero is tricker, mainly as they are totally different games - i loved it on the n64 but always felt a little out of control where the controls were nailed on perfect on the cube game - both incredible games!

1080, defi better on the n64 - again, no competition.

And herein lies the problem with Nintendo, people want them to change games or make new ones and when they do we all whinge that the originals were better and we just want the same game with updated gfx/fps/textures etc.

And as for the batshit oddness that there weird sonic fan is saying about mario kart not changing - utter madness, they ruined the game at least 4 different times, 7 is the only game outside snes and gba one thats any good and all 3 of them play completely differently. The wii one is a fun party game, GC not bad for 4p lols and the n64 one just all kinds of shit but none of them are anything like the others!

Mario Golf is another one where the N64 version was better.

God, I loved that game so much. I was really disappointed in the Gamecube game. So much so that I barely played it at all. I feel a bit guilty about not giving it more time since I've heard it's still pretty good. The GBA Mario Golf game was wonderful too. I really, really hope the 3DS one is great.

I wouldn't call Mario Kart stagnant, not by any means.

I would, and I only play every other one at most. Barrel-scraping characters and motifs aside, Sonic Transformed kept me entertained far, far longer than Mario Kart 3DS.

Yeah, F-Zero X was good. It wasn't much of a looker, but it played well, had loads of action going on and was buttery smooth and lightning fast. Something like that on modern hardware would be amazing.

With a hundred opponents on track! *dreams*

I would, and I only play every other one at most. Barrel-scraping characters and motifs aside, Sonic Transformed kept me entertained far, far longer than Mario Kart 3DS.

I can't play Mario Kart anymore. Everything since the GBA SP one has just looked incredibly bland. The Wii one bored me senseless.

Apart from the N64 version (and the Wii one, but that's because I haven't really played it) there's not been a single Mario Kart game I've not obsessed at least a little over the Time Trials in. They're just great. Sonic Transformed was really fun but it just didn't come close to MK7 for me. I do hope Mario Kart adopts at least something of it's approach to single player structure though. GP mode solo just isn't fun.

Young nephew today... Talking about how much he wants a PS4. Wants to play Battlefield. He's 14. He thinks Nintendo are rubbish and don't make good games.

Tricky tho isn't it, Mario 64 is the best game i've ever played and i don't think anything will ever top it due to the impact it had but given the choice of one console i don't think you would recommend a wii u to a 14 year old lad in all honesty. No Fifa (dont) pro evo or battlefield, as much as i love my wii u and the games i wouldn't be without a battlefield game as most of my gaming is online. I wouldn't not have a wii u, its the perfect second machine for me and the main machine for the kids and wife!

His favourite game right now is cookie cutter on the iPhone. Go figure.

I once walked into a staunch Irish bar in San Francisco, pictures of 'heroes' everywhere and one wall adorned with the flag, another with the Lisbon lions. It was awfy hot. It was then I realised I was wearing a rangers top under my fleece.

I think I sweated out about 3 stone that night.

Young nephew today... Talking about how much he wants a PS4. Wants to play Battlefield. He's 14. He thinks Nintendo are rubbish and don't make good games.

Oh boy, I realised Nintendo made great games when I first played Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in the arcade. When I discovered a Super Mario Bros coin op (some hacked VS machine) and found my first headbutt-beanstalk, I realised they make incredible games. I can't imagine a world where COD was my introduction to video games instead of my growing up with the golden age. I think I would have learned guitar or something instead.

They even copied the flying bits. It's an entertaining game but it only highlights further why mk is still the best.

Yeah they're really scraping the barrel with characters like Mario & Luigi. Sonic is full to bursting with memorable ones on the other hand. They even copied the flying bits. It's an entertaining game but it only highlights further why mk is still the best.

I think the flying and water bits were just coincidence. Or NINTENDO SPIES.