IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

X produced one of my favourite ever multiplayer moments. Final lap of Space Plant, my mate a couple of seconds ahead and seemingly assured of victory as we come to the final straight (a sharp incline). I make the most of my remaining boost power to launch off the top of the incline, and keep hammering the B button as I'm airborne, angling my ship right at the finish line. I hit the sweet spot, my speed exceeding 1000kmph and increasing fast as I hurtle down toward the finish. With my boost power and free-falling momentum I'm gaining on him fast, but it looks like I'm going to run out of track before I catch him. Down to the final second and I'm still airborne, bearing down right over him. As we hit the finish line we're parallel, my ship inches above his, having somehow managed to avoid contact, the outcome impossible to judge by sight. WINNER flashes up on my screen, the margin of victory a thousandth of a second.

You mean you didn't have repeated playthroughs of Resident Evil 4?

Just the one. I liked it like everyone else, but i did whine a little about the lack of traditional RE elements. I didn't feel enough horror in it, and the Umbrella storyline was put into the background (though it wasn't all that bad as a story, just felt like a side story).

Of course looking back now, RE4 is the most RE thing ever when compared to RE5 and 6.

I read somewhere that Nintendo have said the reason they haven't done a new F-Zero is because they haven't figured out how they can top GX. Though I'm pretty sure that excuse was also used by Capcom after Third Strike so they didn't have to come out and say they weren't making any new street fighter games because they didn't sell big numbers.

Wasn't more - they weren't sure how much more they could do with it... which I read as business speak for 'it doesn't make enough money, how can we make it more profitable'.

The main difference between X and GX for me, besides the difficulty, was the characters were stronger. It felt like I was racing against a crazy mix of mental aliens.

I so desperately want another N64 style 1080, Fzero and Waverace - I just think we'll see them.

Sales of those 3 games compared to Mario Kart just demonstrate that they are right... same goes for why Retro are working on Donkey Kong and not Metroid.

I don't think Kid Icarus did that well on 3DS either, but I'd love to see them bring that to the WiiU as a 3rd person action game

No I mean their excuse is terribly lame and can be retorted by simply pointing out how stagnant a series like Mario Kart is. GX did about a hundred million things more than X compared to going from Mario Kart 64 to the GC version.

Retro is simply the 'appeal to westerners because we have fuck all idea how' studio.

No I mean their excuse is terribly lame and can be retorted by simply pointing out how stagnant a series like Mario Kart is. GX did about a hundred million things more than X compared to going from Mario Kart 64 to the GC version.

Retro is simply the 'appeal to westerners because we have fuck all idea how' studio.

Eh?

Mario Kart 7 is superb. Mario Kart Wii sold astonishingly well

Eh?

Mario Kart 7 is superb. Mario Kart Wii sold astonishingly well

But it's not like it does anything more then previous editions. To me it last pushed the envelope forward on the GBA cup grading mechanics-wise and introducing the retro cups, and they've stripped some of the former back down in later games.

Yes Wii/DS/3DS had online, and still some good tracks and music, but it's still the same old mario kart for years now with no advancement, and made less complicated (since the GBA) to boot.

Slap them for saying they can't at least do that amount of rubbish for F-Zero.

Yeah Nintendo games don't appeal to westerners. Apart from nearly everyone.

Talking particular franchises, though in a way yes, apart from Mario and Zelda, I wouldn't say they're too sure as to how to appeal to everyone.

Well, if you're going to ignore the flying, 60 FPS 3D, street pass ghosts etc.

The fact that 20 years on no one has managed to better the genre says it all.

Edit. I mean go ahead and criticise Nintendo all you like but not for Mario Kart which has more mass appeal than any other game I can think of.

We were discussing Nintendo's 'we can't think of anything to improve it' comment. Not what kind of F-Zero to bring back, Scott.

A lazy ass tuned down F-Zero with online, HD and the hundredth music mix of mute city is still better then some rubbish mini game in nintendo land.

Thinking about it though, you know what this all comes down to. I never really liked the N64 pad. I think this coloured my interaction with the machine to such a degree that for games like Wave Race, 1080 and F-Zero I never really got on with them because of the pad. Probably explains why I prefer the Cube versions as I always felt more in control because the Cube pad was so much better.