Mario - Somebody is gonna get Dreamcasted

Mario Wynands of Sidhe expanded on some comments he made on NeoGAF:

NowGamer contacted Wynands, a Sidhe dev who is now the managing director of games publishing company PikPok, for an exclusive follow-up to his comments.

Now, Wynands says one of the big three consoles will drop out of the race, like Sega with the Dreamcast.

He said: "In my opinion, the market is now unsustainable for 3 dedicated game consoles, much less the myriad of new players jumping in. Indeed, it might not be sustainable for any dedicated consoles.

"The environment is hostile enough to the traditional console that I think one or more of the big 3 will drop out completely, but I’m expecting all 3 to make losses without radical change to their business models (hence my calls for revamping of their digital offerings).

"This new generation is arriving with all the challenges of the last generation unresolved in terms of low margins on hardware, high development budgets, limited shelf space, used commercial game sales, piracy etc.

"On top of that they arrive facing increased competition for consumer attention via smartphones, tablets, and a resurgence in PC gaming.

"The retail infrastructure is collapsing as revenues fall and retail chains supporting games have been shutting their doors.

"Consumer expectations of quality continue to rise, and there is downward pressure on pricing at the same time."

He said Microsoft and Sony face potentially 'insurmountable' challenges with Xbox 720 and PS4 and that they could be usurped by new platforms like iOS.

http://www.nowgamer....ox_720_ps4.html

So is Mario correct? will somebody have to leave the island as the food runs out?

This gets said every generation. Although it's clear there is some upheaval ahead.

Was there so much alternative electronic entertainment available in previous generations, or ways to reach a potential market for developers? that's what is changing. You started as a trad dev, I don't think you make your living from dedicated consoles these days, unless you are planning to go back there?

In some ways, MS and Sony have dropped out of the console race. They're in the entertainment set top box race now.

How often do you see the majority of your friends listed as watching Netflix? I reckon that my consoles are used for movies and TV about 90+% of the time now. And their interfaces are designed to reflect that. Gaming isn't on a pedestal for either of the 360 or PS3's interfaces, at best their equal to other entertainment.

In some ways, MS and Sony have dropped out of the console race. They're in the entertainment set top box race now.

How often do you see the majority of your friends listed as watching Netflix? I reckon that my consoles are used for movies and TV about 90+% of the time now. And their interfaces are designed to reflect that. Gaming isn't on a pedestal for either of the 360 or PS3's interfaces, at best their equal to other entertainment.

OOnvrrF.jpg

Control of the living room still on course then.

This is basically a pointless, stupid sentence, isn't it?

I mean, in no ways, literally zero ways, have MS and Sony dropped out of the console race. They've just continued to expand upon the additional media features they've been pushing for ages, and will continue to do so. They're still consoles. People will still call them consoles. They will always play games.

And now? NOW? What's happening now? They've been entertainment boxes for a long time.

I'd argue that there's room for more players in the gaming business but not on the same terms as last gen. If you don't need to spend a lot to make a lot then there's plenty of room.

Yes, on iOS/PC/etc, none of that is much use for the traditional console business model.

Gotta love the zealot who felt so offended by Mario's opinion that they had to shoot the messenger :wub:

Although it's clear there is some upheaval ahead.

There's definitely going to a shake up, and I don't know whether the market CAN support the three main consoles, an AppleTV gaming thing, Steambox, PC gaming, Android consoles smartphones/tablets and handhelds.

But I don't see doom ahead. People will always want to play proper games with a proper controller with great graphics on their telly. I can see Android consoles/AppleTV games being really popular, but ultimately there's a tight performance limit I think.

I just hope the big three, particularly MS (given the rumours) are really keeping aware of everything that's happening and what they need to do to stay on top of things. If people could get simpler, cheaper games as found on Android/IOS on their console, that would make them less likely to buy an AppleTV or Android console.

I think there's clearly going to be disruption to the normal models. There will be so many ways to access and play games. You can add steaming games to that massive list as well.

Yes, on iOS/PC/etc, none of that is much use for the traditional console business model.

Gotta love the zealot who felt so offended by Mario's opinion that they had to shoot the messenger :wub:

Eh? How is it not? If tomorrow each console manufacturer opened a channel/tab specifically for indies, the take up would be great.

Mushashi's breakdown over the last few days has been pretty weird. What's happened?

How am I having a breakdown?, explain it to me? in simple English if you think I can't handle big words.

It seems to me that most people on here are expecting basically the same as previous generations, but we just re-arrange the hats and table placements, which seems rather presumptuous.

Mario Wynands has bet his entire company's financial future on his reading of the trends.

Eh? How is it not? If tomorrow each console manufacturer opened a channel/tab specifically for indies, the take up would be great.

Never heard of XBLIG? best selling trad console, high internet account rate, are loads of people making good money from it? like they are on iOS/PC/etc?

Never heard of XBLIG? best selling trad console, high internet account rate, are loads of people making good money from it? like they are on iOS/PC/etc?

That's buried under mountains of menus, I'm talking like a specific channel or tab on the dash/menu. Something that has a wider aim than XBLIG. Maybe the Nintendo eShop might slowly change with the relaxing of restrictions but I guess it's more polished.

aww, he didn't do it that time :'(

I bold his first name because I find it amusing he is called Mario, and that happens to be the username he posts under on NeoGAF, radlord, I hope you feel special now (even though I have a habit of doing it for every username...)

Person who plays the role of internet ambassador/cheerleader for a company who relies on the traditional console business model surviving thinks there isn't any problems

ALSO FUNNY THAT.

If you read the quotes, he pretty much lays out the reasons for why he thinks the console business will have trouble going forward, and he isn't betting on iOS, he's betting on platforms without console-level restrictions.

Why is anyone paying attention to this guy anyway? As far as I can see the best game his company has ever made is Shatter, and that's frankly just a pretty mediocre game with a great soundtrack.

Is that the best argument people can come up with?, attack the person, not the opinion?

Sidhe are still in business after 16 years, which might lead you to conclude he isn't stupid about business, while other, much bigger and prestigous devs went big and then went home. His company has had several million selling games, including that Kartz game.

Person who plays the role of internet ambassador/cheerleader for a company who relies on the traditional console business model surviving thinks there isn't any problems

ALSO FUNNY THAT.

If you read the quotes, he pretty much lays out the reasons for why he thinks the console business will have trouble going forward, and he isn't betting on iOS, he's betting on platforms without console-level restrictions.

Hey - WiiU's first F2P game just came out. DOOMED

Can't wait for more Kartz games

Also, he doesn't really get what the Dreamcast went through. It didn't fail because of intense competition, it failed because Sega were fucking morons who pissed away the profits of the Mega Drive on the 32X, the Mega CD and botched the life of the Saturn.