rllmuk
U-1

"The 90's Arcade Racer" - Funded Kickstarter - Confirmed for WiiU - Now cancelled for Wii U

Can't afford to pitch in but hopefully if it's an eShop title I can join in the blue sky love.

Any news on online multiplayer/lobbies?

S0L mentioned this in the SASRT thread, the guy was a freelancer on the game. It looks awesome, but I've not pitched in yet.

Since the project went live there have been some very exciting developments that I can't talk about yet but the game could be heading for the TV. This is not a one person project anymore and I hope U Wiil stay tuned for more news. In the meantime I've added a couple more screenshots on the main page :)

Hahaha! Subtle.

Any news on online multiplayer/lobbies?

Think thats only going to be an option if he hits the 20k stretch goal.. which at present is unfortunately looking a tad unlikely. Still you never know.

Im just supporting it to encourage more games along these lines.. with only a handful of tracks and vehicles it should prove to be nice and focused, offering up some great time attack action. Cant wait to play the end result!

• Upvote 1

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a Kickstarter though? If everyone took that approach the thing would never see the light of day and we'd never know if it lived up to expectation or not.

Considering it essentially a one man project I think it's looking pretty damn impressive!

• Upvote 1

I've spent £10 on stuff I knew was shit before now. I'd certainly spend that much on something like this even if it only turns out one tenth as good as it looks.

Wii U confirmed and I'm in.

• Upvote 1

I spent a tenner on a pizza last night. The worst that happens is this turns out to be only half as good as it looks and i miss out on another pizza. Im overweight anyway.

• Upvote 3

I know, but paying 10 quid for a game by an unknown developer that looks very light on content and doing nothing new while games like Sega Rally or Outrun 2 HD are available?

I don't think you can buy Outrun any more.

I've spent £10 on stuff I knew was shit before now. I'd certainly spend that much on something like this even if it only turns out one tenth as good as it looks.

Wii U confirmed and I'm in.

This.

Believe a decision over a WiiU version is imminent! So fingers crossed!

Also this is reassuring to read:

The main challenge for this game is getting the car handling spot on. Although right now the game is fun to play it is not hitting the sweet spot between pick up and play and deep/challenging gameplay. This is also the only reason why I'm not releasing a demo that I spent quite some time polishing. My number one priority is getting this right.

Atleast he's focused on the right areas!

Great news! :D

Hello everyone,

as I mentioned a while ago this is no longer a one person project, I will be working with Nicalis in order to make this game the best it can be.

Here are few words from them:

Hello!

My name is Tyrone Rodriguez. I’m with Nicalis, Inc. You may or may not have heard of Nicalis, but we’ve worked with other talented developers on games like Cave Story, VVVVVV, NightSky and 1001 Spikes.

We’re working with Anthony on The ‘90s Arcade Racer. Our collaboration will allow him to realize his vision of the game and make sure that he has the necessary Unity programming and design help he needs so that he can concentrate on art and other aspects. On our end, we’ll be working on the Unity programming, physics, tuning and general design and production of the game.

I grew up playing arcade games and the racing genre has always been one of my favorites. I worked for a now-dead magazine called Tips&Tricks when Sega was at the top of its game in terms of hardware and racing games; being part of a magazine where we were supposed to be pros at games, I ended up spending a lot of time playing Virtua Racing, Daytona, Super GT (Scud Race outside the US), Daytona 2 and basically every other Sega racer (even the weird ones like Moto Raider).

For anyone asking about the physics, both Anthony and I know what arcade racers should feel like. I also have experience with racing games and actual track experience; I worked on The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift (PS2, PSP), designing its drift physics. and have over 100 hours of real-world track time (open-wheel, street and race cars). Anthony and I won’t stop until we get the tuning just right.

Oh, by the way, we’ll be publishing the game on Wii U eShop, too.

• Upvote 3