My Bloody Valentine's new album is out now

alistarr

I used to have original presses of both albums and didn't think they were brilliant, to be honest. Not bad but certainly not amazing. Anything over about 20 minutes per side will benefit from being spread across more vinyl and 45rpm can make quite a big difference too depending on the music.

Yeah but this isn’t some ultra hi fi pristine/sterile recording.  Back in 92 I bought this on cassette and for a time thought it was faulty as it seemed so woozy and varispeeded. I’ve had a few beers and am not totally clear on what I want to say but this is a blurred and sugary cloying slow wank of a record and it doesn’t need an ultra detailed analytical pressing. Save that shit for Steely Dan or something.

I get what you're saying but putting it on two LPs doesn't instantly turn it into that and I very much doubt that's what he'd sign off on. Look at their CDs, they're not sterile at all. An album like this deserves as much power and dynamic range as possible IMO. You instantly compromise on both fronts putting 25 minutes on a side. I'm sure these will be better than the originals but I'll be more than willing to be upsold into overkill mode once that's available for Loveless.

And yeah, would kill for some Boredoms on vinyl. I do have Soul Discharge but I think it was only that and the first album that got vinyl releases in the first place.

• 3 years later...

Anyone would think it's the second coming due to how many emails/social media postings I've seen this morning but rejoice....

MBV have signed to Domino and albums are being re-issued.

https://www.dominomusic.com/releases/my-bloody-valentine?utm_source=mar21.mailout_uk&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=m+b+v+newsletter&utm_source=31mar21.5025&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=31mar21.5025

They're finally back on streaming sites so hopefully this means we might get a new album soon.

1 hour ago, Broken Thumbs said:

Deluxe LP now saying sold out. 

Also, the deluxe says ‘full analog cut’ and the normal LP doesn’t. They can’t be different, can they? 

The deluxe is apparently mastered from the original analogue master tapes whereas the standard edition is the same digital master as the CDs apparently.

6 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Properly amazing. If you'd told me this morning that I'd be listening to Loveless on Spotify and have a deluxe LP on the way I'd have said you were a madman. And yet here we are!

Other streaming services are available!

But, yep, nice to be able to again listen to these when out and about.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I’ve been listening whilst walking around outside and it’s great, still no one makes music with guitars like this, and they never will. 

I like mbv, but come on, there are plenty in that shoegazing ballpark.

Yeah, ok, but none of those sound like MBV to me. Look I’m not one of those guys trying to make some definitive statement here, I just think it’s a very unique sound. 

57 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, ok, but none of those sound like MBV to me. Look I’m not one of those guys trying to make some definitive statement here, I just think it’s a very unique sound. 

I did say in the ballpark of.

17 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

The deluxe is apparently mastered from the original analogue master tapes whereas the standard edition is the same digital master as the CDs apparently.

Interesting. There are multiple masters out there on CD, and looking at the listings on the Domino site it's not clear which of these versions has been used for the LP.

So there's a remaster from "the original 1/2 inch analogue tapes" which was included on the 2CD re-issue from 2012. I've got this and it sounds brilliant - to my ears there's more dynamic range than CD1 which is labelled as a remaster from the original tape but just sounds like a slightly louder version of the original CD.

Looks like the latest re-issue on CD includes both of these versions as well. CD 1 is labelled slightly different as 'Remastered from original 1630 tape' but I suspect it's the same as the 2012 release: https://www.dominomusic.com/releases/my-bloody-valentine/loveless-2/2cd

I'd be interested to know which digital master the standard edition vinyl is taken from, and what's the source of the master for the 'analog cut' on the deluxe version.

History dictates that at some point these new releases will be balls'ed up somehow. 

The Loveless 2 CD thing was released wrong initially, CD1 was actually CD2 and visa-versa, and apparently one of them had a digital glitch in it. No idea if it got fixed. 

Then "Isn't Anything" vinyl repress from a few years back came with 2 discs, with no real idea what was going on. Did the 2nd plain disc replace the disc inside? No one really ever knows (hey, sounds like a title for a song!)

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

You are right.

All that short list above shows it that a lot of bands have since aped the MBV sound or don't sound like them at all (Ride!). MBV were pioneers rather than followers and I agree that no-one else sounds quite the same.

Much as I love Isn't Anything and Loveless I am finding it hard to get excited about a new album mostly as my expectations are tempered by just how disappointing I found MBV to be.

Well the keyboard intro sounds like Baba O’Riley, but yeah my reply was otherwise just me being dismissive, I like Ride and Leave Them All Behind, I wasn’t dissing them.