IGNORED

Byzantium - Neil Jordan's Vampire Film with Arterton & Ronan

lordcookie

Synopsis: Eleanor (Saoirse Ronan) is a precocious girl with a bent for storytelling. A natural introvert, her idea of a good time is to put pen to paper and reflect on her inner life. Her “sister” Clara (Gemma Arterton) is the complete opposite: extroverted and sexual, she struts around in stilettos and skin-tight garb, attracting hungry male gazes wherever she goes. Both carry secrets from deep in their shared past — all 200 years of it — which bubbles to the surface as Jordan wends his way through the twists and turns of the plot. It turns out that Clara was involved in a passionate love affair during the Napoleonic Wars, while at the same time Eleanor was abandoned as a child. In the present, both seek to preserve their secret from their unsuspecting new companions. Eleanor falls for a sweet young waiter (Caleb Landry Jones), while Clara settles on a homey, unsuspecting man (Daniel Mays) who has just come into an inheritance: the Byzantium Hotel, which has seen better days. The fun begins as Eleanor and Clara shack up in the hotel, feeding off their victims while attempting to stay one step ahead of their pursuers, who are hot on the duo’s trail after Clara rather violently disposes of a particularly seedy pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euSWwU_JbOU

Looks better than most recent vampire films.

I'm looking forward to this as its filmed where I live. THe actually Byzantium building is one of my fave pubs in the town ( its usually called he pig ) . I specifically drove past when they were shooting and it was was like that area of town had been completely taken over by Hollywood :)

But yeah it was nice seeing the old pier, bottle alley and seafront shots.

Oh and I like vampire films too which helps.

• 4 months later...

I'm looking forward to this as its filmed where I live. THe actually Byzantium building is one of my fave pubs in the town ( its usually called he pig ) . I specifically drove past when they were shooting and it was was like that area of town had been completely taken over by Hollywood :)

But yeah it was nice seeing the old pier, bottle alley and seafront shots.

Oh and I like vampire films too which helps.

The Pig used to do the best sandwiches in town, I could destroy one of those chicken and bacon wedges right now.

Didn't realise it was filmed in H-town, might have to check it out :)

The Pig used to do the best sandwiches in town, I could destroy one of those chicken and bacon wedges right now.

Didn't realise it was filmed in H-town, might have to check it out :)

Ah yeah I had the chicken & bacon wedges a lot back in the day.

I think they still do them actually...

• 8 months later...

Watched this on the plane yesterday. Holy shit it's bad. About 90% of it is very boring exposition. The rest is ersatz squalor, crap cockney accents and terrible, terrible acting (though given the quality of the script I guess the actors can hardly be blamed).

Saoirse Ronan looks nice is about the only vaguely positive thing that can be said about it (if mild objectification of women can be considered positive...).

Yeah it was pretty average. Half the time I was just watching out for the places I knew or the inconsistencies of characters moving through the area, something you wouldn't really take notice of unless you

you knew the area.

This was made by the same guy as interview with the vampire wasn't it? Well this is crap compared to that.

Thought it was alright. Story was a wee bit thin, and the effects were a bit limp, but the performances were fine, apart from the leukemia lad who was utterly incomprehensible.

Overall I'd give it Gemma's Artetons/10.