Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe Thursday BBC2 10pm

On the contrary I enjoyed the pig jokes just because they were a reminder that the oily Tory bastard stuck is old chap near a pork chop (allegedly).

Another good round-up, just a bit of a shame Stanhope's bit was left out. Appreciate the Paris attack is a sensitive subject but some of the very best comedy can veer so close to the line of decency that it is a shame it was simply removed and not left up to the audience to decide. Then again, so many people would probably get offended for the sake of being so, rather than judging the material in context, that maybe the Beeb just decided it wasn't worth the hassle, which is still shit, but can see their point.

I thought it was OK. Enjoyed Cunk on Feminism, but yeah I think it could easily do without the fake interviews. Too many bad puns and lazy pig jokes from Brooker for my taste.

Err, watch it again. Nothing lazy about the way he builds up to the story which people are expecting, and then changes track by talking about Black Mirror.

Aw man, I'd love to see stanhope on Paris. It's like he was born to do that!

I'm pretty sure that he'll cover it in one of his sets, so hopefully we'll see it in one form or another on youtubes in the future.

• 3 months later...

I believe the BBC are doing some sort of Shakespeare special this weekend with a whole bunch of Shakespeare related things so it's probably just a part of that rather than a Wipe or a Cunk series.

Diane Morgan was on Richard Herring's podcast a while back, and IIRC she said that most of them weren't, and that some of them got really wound-up by the interviews. 

Ali G would would not only interview vain politicians and idiots but also decent people with a good agenda (spokeswoman fighting for feminist rights etc). I think what both these characters do is to always come out of the interviews looking more stupid than the person being interviewed, AliG would go further and sometimes expose racism/homophobia behavior in his subjects but both are essentially just playing clowns. 

I agree there is something off about it all and am not quite sure how to resolve it. If you let them in on it then you might not get the reactions, but with Cunk's interviews I don't think the reactions of the interviewees are what makes these segments funny. It's more about HER reactions and seeing her get confused by smart people whilst further digging herself into a hole. I'd like to think these people get something out of it, even if it's just mentioning their name/school/website etc, otherwise yes it is a waste of time on their behalf.

23 hours ago, K said:

I have to confess that I absolutely hate Cunk's sections on the show. I don't mind Ali G-style faux-naive interviews when the person being interviewed really deserves it, and the technique is being used to show them up as a bigot or hypocrite or similar, but I can't stand them when it's someone really knowledgeable in a particular area who is just having their time wasted for comic effect. Like, they'll speak to someone who's a professor in high-energy physics at Imperial College, who's given up their valuable time in order to further the public understanding of their particular discipline, and then Cunk asks them inane questions over and over because ha ha, you've taken the time to be an expert in something you fucking swot. What's that? You're making a good-faith attempt to explain a complex idea or concept to a layman? Duuuuh, I don't understand, can you try again? Fooled you, I'm actually really intelligent! I tricked you into trying to be helpful, you COCK.

I wouldn't mind if they were in on the joke, but according to Diane Morgan, they generally aren't. It just seems like a sketch where the joke is that they're taking advantage of someone else's goodwill, which just seems a bit mean and pointless to me.

The interviewees aren't the butt of the joke though, in the same way that Ali G's were. The joke is that Cunk is an incredible idiot, and her subjects are understandably flabbergasted by that. I don't think that any of the interviewees come off badly, and if they're offended by their appearance they must have very thin skin. And it's just an afternoon of their time.

Putting that aside, it was announced months ago that this would be a one-off, full-length Cunk special, it's not part of a wider Brooker programme.

19 hours ago, Capwn said:

with Cunk's interviews I don't think the reactions of the interviewees are what makes these segments funny. 

A large part of that is down to the fact that the interviewees don't react. They're just silently rolling their eyes at another gag swing and a miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Diane Morgan interview, with a preview clip of Cunk on Shakespeare:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/may/10/diane-morgan-comedy-genius-on-playing-philomena-cunk

And here she summarises Shakespeare's plays:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/may/06/philomena-cunk-on-the-complete-works-of-shakespeare

Othello

This groundbreaking play features one black man, something not tried again in a dramatic work until Ghostbusters.

On 18/04/2016 at 8:22 PM, K said:

Diane Morgan was on Richard Herring's podcast a while back, and IIRC she said that most of them weren't, and that some of them got really wound-up by the interviews. 

That's dissapointing, in that case I agree. And I love ali G.  Do you think man will ever walk on the sun?

On 5/12/2016 at 2:28 PM, jonamok said:

Yes, that was absolutely fantastic.

"...Banquo's ghost, played here for some reason by the letter H."

Caught up this weekend. Great stuff, and this particular stupid bit was stupidly funny.