PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

so no actual discussion just 5 pages of old hat ps jokes.

hey you know the ps3 pad is so bad it makes your fingers bleed, not like the 360 controller that's like continual good sex when your holding it

there I just wrote the next 20 pages except those are usually posted without irony

ep6-02.jpg

I hate when people misspell Rolo too, and King Rollo was great. There should be an amnesty thread for people to dump their real time weapon change/ crab posts. Its as if rllmuk has a blind spot regarding those jokes. Theyve been in threads for 6 years, when they were shit within a month or two of E3 7 years ago. Its like starting a Portal 3 thread and then 5 pages of people posting "cake!" - ho ho!

So PS4. Sounds good. Needs good pad. What kind of pad will they show?

BC is going to be painful to implement. I predict software PS3 BC on a par with the current 360 BC - basically to appease early adopters but it'll be abandoned before long. PS1 BC will continue, as it can be done with a single dirt-cheap chip. PS2 BC basically won't happen.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Gaikai. Get that to work with local save-games and we're on to a winner.

PS2 BC basically won't happen.

Why not? The ps3 already does select ps2 BC through software, so why would a more powerful machine not be able to do it on a improved scale? It makes it easier for them to sell digital content* if the system can handle more titles than it does now.

* the ps2 games that are supported right now are mostly rubbish.

I expect they will have BC working for all games available on PSN. I hope they have BC working for all games available on PSN, god dammit.

Can everyone stay on topic about discussing potential dates for when Sony might possibly announce something please?

I'm guessing around February 20th 2013 6PM EST, knowing Sony.

I've just been shown the new controller...not sure if I should leak this or not, but I don't honestly think they can trace it back to me....

The yellow star is actually an ultra high-res OLED screen - so the game running can change the word "Angst" to be anything needed. They are calling it "Real Time Command Change".

post-39-0-28588800-1359720494.gif

I've just been shown the new controller...not sure if I should leak this or not, but I don't honestly think they can trace it back to me....

Looks better than WiiU already.

What's Gaikai like for input lag and the like though? I'm sure it would be fine for Final Fantasy or whatever, but what if we want a wee local game of Tekken or Street Fighter Alpha?

They'd better not use Gaikai for BC.

What's Gaikai like for input lag and the like though? I'm sure it would be fine for Final Fantasy or whatever, but what if we want a wee local game of Tekken or Street Fighter Alpha?

I tried playing Mass Effect 2 on it on a fast connection. The main shooting stuff was fine but the safe opening mini-game was utterly unplayable.

Why not? The ps3 already does select ps2 BC through software, so why would a more powerful machine not be able to do it on a improved scale? It makes it easier for them to sell digital content* if the system can handle more titles than it does now.

* the ps2 games that are supported right now are mostly rubbish.

The currently available models only do PS2 games that have been re-compiled to run on PS3 - you're essentially playing a PS3 game which is a port of a PS2 game, and branded as such. The true BC PS3's do software emulation of the PS2's CPU, but have hardware PS2 GPU's integrated into their guts. That's how it works in this country at least.

ANYWAY: With the Gaikai option, Sony just need to set up a server farm composed of Emotion-engine-type processors/GPU's, do the magic networky stuff using Gaikai's tech, and hey presto, a much more viable option than writing a full on multi-tiered software emulation of 3 different Playstation platforms.

I think that one of the more noticeable things we'll see with the next-gen machines will be a reliance on cloud computing in this fashion. It'll drastically increase the potential for multitasking. Imagine being able to run a full-on PS4 game, but then switch out out to a PS2 game without having to quit the PS4 game. I think that'd be a reality if Gaikai were used.