IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

Same as Moz - expected this and don't see anything dramatic in there at all. Most games scoring lowly in some places and highly in others by the looks of it. I mean, yeah, Knack got a 4/10 and a 1.5/5, but it also got a 7/10 and 8/10 so who knows!

Not changed my mind on anything at all, still excited. Eurogamer's look at the hardware was my main point of interest :)

is it just me or does the launch for both system seem a bit half-baked? given that there is no "backward compatibility" for either system (which I'm absolutely fine with), if I look at the list of games being made available, the pickings are rather slim

it almost makes me think that launch for both systems should have been feb/mar of 2014 where we could have a good dozen or so titles, some of which actually start to showcase what the next gen will be capable of

They've scored Knack, Rachet and Clank and Resogun higher than the Metacritic average, regardless of how much of a dick aegies is, that's a bit straw-graspy.

I'm not saying they're always low I just mean quite often they're way off the average for whatever reason. So not always a great place to indicate an average.

Giantbomb say they're not rushing reviews out, which seems good.

Gerstmann tweeted that Killzone MP is "weird - specifically the motion blur when you run." and stated his main issue with it is that it's "a big world with very little to do in it".

He and ps fan favourite @aegies agreed the framerate should've been locked for both SP & MP.

is it just me or does the launch for both system seem a bit half-baked? given that there is no "backward compatibility" for either system (which I'm absolutely fine with), if I look at the list of games being made available, the pickings are rather slim

it almost makes me think that launch for both systems should have been feb/mar of 2014 where we could have a good dozen or so titles, some of which actually start to showcase what the next gen will be capable of

Has there ever been a decent launch? PS2 was worse than this, PS1 was about the same - All pretty average.

I think PS2 was championing The Bouncer. So that says it all really.

Don't forget the likes of COD/Battlefield/AC4, in general terms the next-gen consoles have a very decent launch lineup.

I'm not saying they're always low I just mean quite often they're way off the average for whatever reason. So not always a great place to indicate an average.

We're doing that thing of claiming that videogame reviews, one of the most homogenous things around, with most AAA games getting an 85 or something, aren't homogenous enough?

This is just mental to me. For nearly half the price you can get a Wii U now with a raft of decent exclusives on it and with a new Mario landing in two weeks. Surely that makes more sense, and then pick up a PS4 with a decent bundle when something actually worth having one for is released. The logic of your statement is just flawed to me.

Ps4 wont be much cheaper by then. Arguably WiiU will be.

Who do you guys generally "trust" with game reviews, anyway? Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't really bother with reviews, I go on recommendations or personal interest.

I only read Edge and Eurogamer's reviews. I might not always agree with their conclusions (and there have ben some howlers - EG's AC3 review, for example) but I trust them to articulate the game and its pros and cons pretty well. And a lot of their writers are great. The rest of the internet is terrible.

On launch day I will be playing AC4, Killzone and Battlefield 4, with some Resogun, Blacklight Retribution and Contrast for free. That seems alright for day-one. I'd swap it all for a stone-cold launch stunner like Mario 64, but how often does that happen, really?

Actually, that's kind of a lie. I'll probably spend most of the 29th playing Mario 3D World, which I'm picking up at the same time :lol:

I would urge everyone to stop looking to the internet to justify their purchases. If you want it, buy it. Just don't sit there and force your way through Knack for £54.99 because some site gave it a 6 and gave Ryse a 5. It doesn't matter!

I dont think anything other than Knack has bombed. Seems like average 7's more or less across the board.

That could be it, in which case it's very puzzling - as LeChuck said, it's hardly like any of us saw Knack and expected it to be some kind of high watermark for the industry. To be at least it's always seemed like a reasonably decent launch title that could be fun offset against the more 'serious' games.

Plus yeah, averaging about 7 across things I think which is actually reasonable enough in my book.

Has there ever been a decent launch? PS2 was worse than this, PS1 was about the same - All pretty average.

I think PS2 was championing The Bouncer. So that says it all really.

Don't forget the likes of COD/Battlefield/AC4, in general terms the next-gen consoles have a very decent launch lineup.

PS1 had Riiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaceeeerrrr!

I was playing Toshinden at launch for the PS1 - laugh if you like, I fucking loved that game. And Wipeout too. The Saturn was likewise a thing of beauty, Dreamcast was a world of dreams and the Gamecube was a perfect sphere of happiness.

All this cynicism is wearying to an old man like myself. The youtube comments on half the launch reviews are a strong argument for randomly drowning half the population no matter which side of the fence you're sitting on.

This is when we can all agree that review scores are really not an accurate scale.

Subjective reviewers with subjective scores. I like to read what they say rather than the scores.

Even though Killzone sounds pretty much like the rest of the Killzone games (hardly surprising) I know launch day shiny means i'll likely enjoy it a little more than if it was mid-gen release. I'm happy to spend my money on Killzone and try out this new iteration on a brand new platform that has high hopes for the future.

I actually fancy having a shot of knack and will pick it up cheap or on PS+ in the future.

And Wipeout.

And Tekken.

Not that I'm defending the PS4's lineup here, but the PS1 had been out for a year in Japan by that point. The 'advantage' of being a Western (particularly European) gamer back in the day is that by the time of their 'launch', every console had had a year+ of time to mature.

I think this is where liking sports games comes in for me. I'm going to have FIFA 14 (which I like despite others issues) alongside NBA2K14 which is meant to be great even though I know nothing about basketball. I'm also getting Madden which is probably going to be mediocre but may surprise and will be okay in two player anyway.

Basketball games are really hard if you don't know basketball. I bought one once expecting it to play a little bit like FIFA 'cause, well, how different could it be as a video game? I could not grasp it at all.

The PS4 might have something worth playing on it by then. The Wii U already has lots of games worth playing on it.

Thing is though, I see (personally) the Wii U as a potential sidekick to a Bone/PS4 instead of an alternative. The games I most want on the Wii U are things that the others just don't offer to that degree of excellence (Nintendo's own first party stuff) and hence rather than considering the U as an alternative, I see it as an addition to one of the other two. Same as the previous gen was for me - the Wii had the Metroids, Marios and Zeldas for me to enjoy among the FPS, racing and action titles that the other two were stronger for.

This is just mental to me. For nearly half the price you can get a Wii U now with a raft of decent exclusives on it and with a new Mario landing in two weeks. Surely that makes more sense, and then pick up a PS4 with a decent bundle when something actually worth having one for is released. The logic of your statement is just flawed to me.

I can see why you'd think that.

But I think there's half a chance by the time I get a WiiU it will be cheaper or will have a better hardware revision. I only desperately want the Tokyo EAD Mario now, happy to wait for everything else, they'll still be fun this time next year. Tired of waiting months and months for Nintendo releases when I only have Nintendo hardware that's pretty much failed in the market and only sold to a tiny niche. I need a solid mainstream next gen multi platform workhorse at some point, might as well be now, not going to get any cheaper for ages, and it's clear which is best between Sony and MS already. The WiiU is a delicious pudding rather than the meat and potatoes main course. And I've got a decent backlog of last gen family games to play with the kids for a while yet whereas I've got a space in my evenings for Battlefield, Pirate's Creed, etc.

I imported PS1. Definitely only Ridge Racer when I did that! I got Biohazard before it was even on the radar. I was the coolest kid at school. THE COOLEST!

According to Wikipedia:

PS1 European launch: September 29, 1995
Ridge Racer
Battle Arena Toshinden
Rapid Reload
Wipeout
Kileak: The Blood
Street Fighter: The Movie
PS2 European launch: November 24, 2000
Aqua Aqua
Dynasty Warriors 2
FantaVision
FIFA 2001
Gradius III and IV
International Superstar Soccer
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
SSX
Tekken Tag Tournament
Timesplitters
Wild Wild Racing
PS3 European and Australian launch: March 23, 2007
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 3
Def Jam: Icon
Enchanted Arms
Fight Night Round 3
Formula One Championship Edition
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Genji: Days of the Blade
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
MotorStorm
NBA Street Homecourt
Need for Speed: Carbon
NHL 2K7
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tony Hawk's Project 8
The Godfather: The Don's Edition
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 3
World Snooker Championship 2007
PS4 European launch: November 29, 2013 [3]
Angry Birds Star Wars
MineCraft
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Contrast
DC Universe Online
Escape Plan
FIFA 14
Flow
Flower
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
Resogun
Sound Shapes
The Pinball Arcade
War Thunder

Thing is though, I see (personally) the Wii U as a potential sidekick to a Bone/PS4 instead of an alternative. The games I most want on the Wii U are things that the others just don't offer to that degree of excellence (Nintendo's own first party stuff) and hence rather than considering the U as an alternative, I see it as an addition to one of the other two. Same as the previous gen was for me - the Wii had the Metroids, Marios and Zeldas for me to enjoy among the FPS, racing and action titles that the other two were stronger for.

I didn't say don't get on ever. I said pick one up when it has a few must have titles on it. In the here and now, this Xmas, the best gaming can be had on the Wii U (if you already own a PS3 and 360, of course). Both the Bone and PS4 are future purchases to me as neither of them have anything worth stumping up the money for at launch.

I have been holding off on AC4, BF4, and FIFA for the PS4. As far as I can tell those all perform above the current gen versions to a significant degree.

Then there is stuff like Resogun, contrast, blacklight, and war thunder.

Killzone and Need for Speed I am also vaguely interested in. In fact has the latter reviewed anywhere yet?

Along with new console happy shininess and the new controller I think I am going to be pretty happy.

If Killzone had been a genre defining 9/10 10/10 game that would have been the cherry on top, but I think stuff like that will arrive along with infamous in February next year, when I should just about be able to afford a new game after Christmas etc.

EDIT: Forogt about marvel and flower (which I have never played)