IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

It's been confirmed that video services won't need a Plus subscription, so thats another thing Microsoft continue to look bad on.

Yeah, Scott Rohde said something like 'Of course not! That would be ridiculous'

AC4 is a release title too.

1080p and 60fps confirmed, as well.

Am I alone in constantly seeing a pair of chubby little winkies each time I look at the PS4 controller?

BNFxAPX.png

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of it. I just can't stop seeing dicks...

You must have loved the N64 :eyebrows:

Sooo, I take it the plan with backwards compatibility is to use your PS3 disks as 'keys' which unlock some sort of cloud version of them? Which won't be available right at launch, so don't sell your PS3's quite yet? I'm wondering if five years down the line, there might be cloud-only games which offer features the hardware alone couldn't provide, like what Microsoft are suggesting. Probably welcome seeing as the hardware isn't exactly bleeding edge... which I suppose I don't mind given it's obviously enabled the hardware to be a reasonable size, and it probably won't belch fire / melt itself like many a launch console.

They have given no details whatsoever on the Gaikai front. It would be great if you could stick a disk in as you suggest and then the game automatically streams from Gaikai, but I think it's more likely that you can just play whatever PS3 stuff you've bought on your PSN account. I guess it's possible that they'll do a Netflix-style all-you-can-eat service too though, either as part of PS+ or separate. I was interested in hearing their plans on this, but clearly they're not ready to talk about it.

Ohhh, this could be big MASSIVE.

Shuhei Yoshida - who has always been a fan of Oculus Rift - has just inferred that PS4 may support it in the future:

That would be huuuuuge. I love what I've seen of OR, and having it be Playstation 4 compatible would be stunning.

Fuck. Ing. Hell. I hope this happens!

I didn't know who Mark Cerny was until the PS4 reveal (though I've looked at the games he's made and love many of them).

Just watching the GTTV interview with him and he just starts busting out Japanese to the guy next to him. Pretty damn cool.

Still not convinced by Knack, though.

In general, I think the guys fronting the PS stuff this time around, compared to their XBox counterparts, just seem... smarter. They seem more inclined to engage in open discussion, too. They've communicated stuff better, they've been more engaging, they've looked to be more in tune with their audience. Obviously, the message - the difference in the messages of the two camps - is vitally important, but it's clear that in developing this they've taken the time to engage with developers and consumers at a level that's been more meaningful than the very 'corporate script' approach of MS, and it's obviously worked very well for them.

Stating the obvious, I know, but you get the impression that Sony have got all the right people in place this time around, and MS simply haven't.

Whereabouts was this confirmed ? Not doubting you just wondering where the info came from.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/sony-s-scott-rohde-answers-your-burning-ps4-questi/1600-504/

Essentially:

You won't need PS plus for:

Free to play games- otherwise it defeats the point of free to play.

Netflix etc, media services etc- Since you already pay a sub/for the content for them- why would you get charged twice? Lol- who would do that?

AND

if you do have ps plus, it was stated in that interview

No online passes as such because you shouldn't have to go through TWO paywalls to play online (where has that happened??)

Sony speaking sense :) (it is a really enjoyable no PR spin interview as well)

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/sony-s-scott-rohde-answers-your-burning-ps4-questi/1600-504/

Essentially:

You won't need PS plus for:

Free to play games- otherwise it defeats the point of free to play.

Netflix etc, media services etc- Since you already pay a sub/for the content for them- why would you get charged twice? Lol- who would do that?

AND

if you do have ps plus, it was stated in that interview

No online passes as such because you shouldn't have to go through TWO paywalls to play online (where has that happened??)

Sony speaking sense :) (it is a really enjoyable no PR spin interview as well)

From my experience with NFS: Hot Pursuit on 360 and some other game which I can't remember.

Well they said for F2P in that interview it would be on a game by game basis, it wasn't a black and white - F2P = No PS Plus needed. Hope it's true though.

Shuhei Yoshida has said it's up to the discretion of the publisher. I've a hard time coming up with a reason why someone putting out a F2P game would want to put it behind a paywall, though.

I believe Scott Rhode mentioned that Plus won't be a requirement for subscription-based games like FFXIV, either, but I can't recall where I heard that; might have been that Giantbomb interview.

Both of those make me feel a bit better about the Plus requirement for online gaming, even if I still don't really agree with it.

Normally I would be convincing myself that I don't need one at launch, especially with GTA5 and Dark Souls 2 and my existing backlog, but it will be a long time before the first price drop and my thinking is I'll end up getting one eventually so it may as well be at launch.

I mean, it's only logical, right guys? Right? Right?

Wonder why it feels the need to specify the hdd size on the box, and none of the other specs? Possibly because there will be different sizes available?

Probably saves them doing a new box when a bigger/smaller size does go on sale. Makes it clear what size the existing stock is.

Normally I would be convincing myself that I don't need one at launch, especially with GTA5 and Dark Souls 2 and my existing backlog, but it will be a long time before the first price drop and my thinking is I'll end up getting one eventually so it may as well be at launch.

I mean, it's only logical, right guys? Right? Right?

Right.

So we have been told Cross Game Chat is now here, thanks Sony welcome to 2013 - what about Party Chat?

Me and my Xbox 360 die hard buddies are all aboard #TeamSony and we use Party chat on the 360 all the time, would be a bit of a disappointment should we not have a similar feature.