IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

350 would of course still be less than the launch price of the Sega Saturn or the Playstation 3. And as much as they're not good examples, adjusted for inflation it'd be less than the PS1, PS2, Xbox 1 and 360 (Premium) launch prices too.

I hope for 300 but I certainly consider it a "hope".

I think the games market is in a different place right now - look at UK sales in particular. I don't think it can sustain a console at £399. £350 will be as far as I can see them going without it being suicide.

Not sure how the 8GB DDR5 will factor into things, but there are a few other bits and bobs - like that controller that I can see pushing it up, as well.

I think the games market is in a different place right now - look at UK sales in particular. I don't think it can sustain a console at £399. £350 will be as far as I can see them going without it being suicide.

Not sure how the 8GB DDR5 will factor into things, but there are a few other bits and bobs - like that controller that I can see pushing it up, as well.

mm, you could well be right. Plus we don't REALLY know how expensive these things are to produce compared to a launch 360.

I suspect we may not hear price at E3.

Funny how Sony announcing first gave them the perfect position and at E3 having their announcements second will give them the perfect position.

Well played.

Edit: they don't even need to undercut the Xbox price, if they announce the exact same price that'll do.

Yeah, I had wondered if they chose not to move their presentation to a more European friendly timeslot to prevent Microsoft from having an entire days gaming news all on their own. Regardless of whether that was their intention, they do seem to have quite an advantage going second.

Apologies for asking a dumb question, but looking at the thread title - is the 2013 European launch a confirmed fact now? Can I start posting this :omg: and doing the same motion in real life? Because if so: :omg:

I added that because of the Champion's League final banners, which was good enough confirmation for me:

vfeRb3P.jpg

The bump to 8GB GDDR5 means I don't expect them to take a massive hit on the pricing, breakeven or small loss at best this time around, they ain't going to be giving away $800 of raw goods for $600 this time around.

Apologies for asking a dumb question, but looking at the thread title - is the 2013 European launch a confirmed fact now? Can I start posting this :omg: and doing the same motion in real life? Because if so: :omg:

I added that because of the Champion's League final banners, which was good enough confirmation for me:

vfeRb3P.jpg

The bump to 8GB GDDR5 means I don't expect them to take a massive hit on the pricing, breakeven or small loss at best this time around, they ain't going to be giving away $800 of raw goods for $600 this time around.

Well in that case:

91madl.gif

My precious pre-order is justified - and righteous!

Sony could repeat the PSOne vs Saturn win of years ago.

Some of you might be too young to remember that E3 back in 1995. Sega announced the Sega Saturn for $399US and gave out lots of info. When it came time for Sony to talk...

http://www.crispygamer.com/features/2009-05-27/the-10-most-memorable-e3-press-conference-moments.aspx

Sony Electronic Publishing President Olaf Olafson softened up the crowd with the usual hyperbole about the PlayStation's transformative power, but calling up Race partway through the speech would prove to be the defining moment of the show. As Race recalled to Steven Kent in "The Ultimate History of Video Games," "I had a whole bunch of paper in my hands, and I walked up, put them down on the podium, and I just said, '$299' and walked off stage to this thunderous applause." The price tag, $100 less than that for the just-announced Saturn, was much lower than most analysts expected and immediately took the air out of Saturn's sails.

If they undercut the 360 and announced "no DRM, no mandatory connection"...I don't think even Halo 5 could save MS.

not to piss on anyone's chips...

but that statement to Edge by Sony does sound awfully non committal (to releasing the Europe in 2013). Just yeah we said in february it will launch in 2013 - nothing to add now.

Sony would be much better off releasing worldwide with smaller numbers, than delaying in any one territory. if nintendo can do it, wtf can't Sony?

Remember when Ramone was that funny guy who kept writing erotic fiction about people he met on the internet? I miss that guy. Boring wrongface Ramone is boring.

I think I missed him, I only joined in 2008 when I was looking for a forum life raft following the Great World of Stuart Exodus :(

We don't know he's wrong yet.

He might well be right, we're all guessing at this point.

I just find it strange you're all guessing in a very naive way that ignores all common sense. I think that is funny. It's gonna get funnier!

Remember when Ramone was that funny guy who kept writing erotic fiction about people he met on the internet? I miss that guy. Boring wrongface Ramone is boring.

I did it one time.

Some bankers/financial types have been putting some figures on the back of napkin, who'll end up closest to the true BOM, place your bets:

All figures in USD.

APU (CPU/GPU) - 85-90
8GB GDDR5 - 110-140
OS Chip (supposedly ARM based) - 12-18
Video encode/decode chip - 8-12
Blu-ray drive - 18-25
Hard drive - 38-50
I/O - 9-12
Wireless chip + antenna - 4
HDMI+HDCP - 11-15
Other - 25-35

Total - 320-401

Accessories:

DS4 - 18-30
PS4 Eye -$12-20
Mono headset - 3
Cabling/misc - 3

Unknown/Alpha:

Internal PSU - 25-55
Cooling - 20-38
Assembly - 13 (Based on being made in China, for made in Japan, make that ~ $45)

Total estimated system cost (no shipping and packaging) - $450-490

These figures are preliminary, and do not include assembly costs, power costs, cooling or shipping as the final design has not been shown and can't be estimated at this time.

Pachterdamus: "We expect the PS4 to debut at $349, as our estimate of the bill of materials is $275"

Another analyst group: "Given that experience, we believe Sony will aim to keep the price point for PlayStation 4 below $400," Bhatia said.

He added that because Sony's PlayStation Network is free, the company is missing out on an opportunity to subsidize the next-generation system through a subscription model.

Still, he believes Sony will stick with a sub-$400 price point, even if it means losing money on the console itself.

My advice you you Sony guys would be to expect the worst.

The PS4 is going to cost a fortune. It's going to have the same DRM as MS. It's not coming here until 2014.

Keep then in mind and watch the show. That way you'll still be blown away by the awesome graphics. Better graphics than the Xbox can do so it's not all doon and gloom. But you go into this thing expecting everything to be perfect and no amount of graphics are going to make up for the crushing disappointment.