IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

Since we've had Planetside 2 and DCUO announced I'm hoping we get some news about Everquest III. Sony are working on it and I suspect they'll be developing it with consoles in mind too.

A reminder it was as late as September, before a November launch, that they punted the Euro release to March so we're not out of the woods yet.

While it's true that people shouldn't be thinking that a 2013 launch in Europe is completely set in stone, the PS3 launch delay in Europe was caused by both a component shortage (the blue-violet laser diodes required for the Blu-ray drive) and Sony's decision to nominate Europe as the sacrificial lamb.

Similar component issues are unlikely this time around, and I suspect that Sony would probably be more inclined to sacrifice Japan this time - in Europe they get the Christmas sales (rather than leaving them to Microsoft), whereas in Japan Christmas is a much smaller factor, and Microsoft essentially aren't a factor at all.

The reaction to Sony DRM can't be as bad as MS whatever Sony announce, because MS have already drawn the sting.

Anything equally DRMy from Sony will just be greeted with shrugs and "ho hum, I guess it was too good to be true", and "I guess this is just the way things are this gen".

Knowing this is the likely extent of the PR downside and fan reaction, what would you do if you were Sony?

The reaction to Sony DRM can't be as bad as MS whatever Sony announce, because MS have already drawn the sting.

Anything equally DRMy from Sony will just be greeted with shrugs and "ho hum, I guess it was too good to be true", and "I guess this is just the way things are this gen".

Knowing this is the likely extent of the PR downside and fan reaction, what would you do if you were Sony?

If Sony do the same thing (online 24 hour check-in, no selling to private buyers, you don't own the disc) it's not going to make it less bad just because they're both doing it, it will still be 100% shit.

Had a laugh throughout the thread at the Kazification's that neogaf made, i found a compilation on youtube, so encase anybody missed them.

OK, must come clean... This is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

If Sony do the same thing (online 24 hour check-in, no selling to private buyers, you don't own the disc) it's not going to make it less bad just because they're both doing it, it will still be 100% shit.

Of course it will be objectively just as bad. I'm clearly guessing that the "reaction" will not be as vitriolic, and hence the PR damage (and arguably the impact on sales) will be less, because MS has taken most of the arrows. Anyone think Sony will have such a rough ride as MS has had?

Of course it will be objectively just as bad. I'm clearly guessing that the "reaction" will not be as vitriolic, and hence the PR damage (and arguably the impact on sales) will be less, because MS has taken most of the arrows. Anyone think Sony will have such a rough ride as MS has had?

Maybe not within the next few weeks it won't be so bad, but (if) when it comes into use and consumers (not just us forum dwellers) realise the implications, then they will both get it equally hard.

I plonked down my preorder for this on Amazon yesterday. At £599.99 :lol:

Basically, they've won by default. All they need to do is keep it under £300 and not projectile vomit in the faces of millions of gamers, and that preorder will stay.

Under £300 is optimistic.

I plonked down my preorder for this on Amazon yesterday. At £599.99 :lol:

Basically, they've won by default. All they need to do is keep it under £300 and not projectile vomit in the faces of millions of gamers, and that preorder will stay.

I will be shocked if it is under 300. Lowest I guess is 329- and even that is hopeful.

I'll personally bite at 349 or below if tomorrow is good

If by some miracle it has none of the bone's DRM nastiness, doesn't sound like a Dyson chewing a boiled sweet, and has The Last Guardian coming by this time next year, I'll pay Kaz whatever effing number he comes up with.

THE PS4 WILL BE THE BEST THING EVER - BELI4VE!

And if it isn't, I'll just buy a EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX for my gaming PC instead and a Wii U to go with it - no biggie

I will be massively surprised if Sony fucks this up at E3 though, at this point all they need to do is show up, show some games and not be assholes.

I will be massively surprised if Sony fucks this up at E3 though, at this point all they need to do is show up, show some games and not be assholes.

They're going to have to mention DRM at some point or it's just going to hang like a cloud

And just to get everyone in the mood

This is the company who followed up on the most successful games console of all time with the PS3 launch, remember. Trust no-one; assume nothing.

Under £300 is optimistic.

Maybe, but I thought I might as well preorder it just in case it does come in under that. Earlier in the queue and all that.

If not I'll just wait. I'm not dying for a PS4 on launch.

£350 is too much for a games console, I think. I paid £275 for my 360 when Gears came out and even that seems crazy to me now. I think these things are going to be cheaper than most people are expecting.

£350 is too much for a games console, I think. I paid £275 for my 360 when Gears came out and even that seems crazy to me now. I think these things are going to be cheaper than most people are expecting.

350 would of course still be less than the launch price of the Sega Saturn or the Playstation 3. And as much as they're not good examples, adjusted for inflation it'd be less than the PS1, PS2, Xbox 1 and 360 (Premium) launch prices too.

I hope for 300 but I certainly consider it a "hope".