IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

Burnout generally handles well, in a great, 60fps way - meaning I always feel in control of handling shit around me. Apocalypse felt like it was totally out of my hands and random as fuck, half the time.

It's not half the game Burnout (pre-Paradise) is.

Burnout generally handles well, in a great, 60fps way - meaning I always feel in control of handling shit around me. Apocalypse felt like it was totally out of my hands and random as fuck, half the time.

It's not half the game Burnout (pre-Paradise) is.

Wow, I just spent a few words telling you the Burnout 'feel' wasn't about the handling for me, and you replied straight away talking about the handling.

tyagi - totally agree.

Do you think we will see more Bravado in the Sony presentation as a result? And will we see a more humble Microsoft?

Really looking forward to E3 more than ever now.

You'll see loads of bravado from both, they can't be seen to do anything else. It's going to be the biggest willy waving competition ever. I truly can't wait!

Wow, I just spent a few words telling you the Burnout 'feel' wasn't about the handling for me, and you replied straight away talking about the handling.

But the handling is everything in a racing game. I guess you could say that Super Mario Kart is Nintendo's Forza on acid, if we want to go down that road.

Let nothing come between the platform and the joy of play

Well if that's legit then it sounds very very promising for Sony's DRM stance. If Sony hit the following notes:

- Online to remain free

- No forced DRM

- No mandatory internet connection

- Last Guardian Confirmed For PS4 Launch

If they can add a Syphon Filter reboot to that and some surprise Vita announcements, then they will storm E3.

Well if that's legit then it sounds very very promising for Sony's DRM stance. If Sony hit the following notes:

- Online to remain free

- No forced DRM

If they can add a Syphon Filter reboot to that and some surprise Vita announcements, then they will storm E3.

Seriously now, don't toy with my heart :( It would have to be made by Sony Bend as well IMO, as shite as Omega Strain was, I loved every single other SF game they made.

- Online to remain free

- No forced DRM

Seriously now, don't toy with my heart :( It would have to be made by Sony Bend as well IMO, as shite as Omega Strain was, I loved every single other SF game they made.

Don't worry guys, it's going to be four days of this:

graphics_horse.gif

and this:

scrubs-lovetrain-o.gifiBaDbQd5rlBXQ.gif

Even if Sony had tougher DRM than this generation, I'd still go with them, primarily because they are Japanese and therefore not subject to PRISM. I hate this invasion of privacy stuff, especially when the company willingly signs up to it (unlike when Sony was hacked over a year ago)

If Sony can hit us with a Netflix style subscription package for games along with no forced DRM then they will win this generation right off the bat.

I am pretty much decided I am getting a PS4 due to the Vita remote play, but they can still hit it out o the park at E3

- Online to remain free

- No forced DRM

Online being free and no mandatory internet are pretty much a given at this point. I think we'll see TLG again, but it probably won't be a launch game. DRM is the big one. I doubt they'll go the MS way, but the proof is in the pudding.

Syphon Filter won't happen for now I think. My guess is that Sony Bend is working on an Uncharted Vita sequel, as the first was a big hit for a Vita game.

In other cool rumour news: some of the GAF insiders seem to be hinting at a Demon's Souls 2 reveal. Would be awesome if true.

If Sony can hit us with a Netflix style subscription package for games along with no forced DRM then they will win this generation right off the bat.

I am pretty much decided I am getting a PS4 due to the Vita remote play, but they can still hit it out o the park at E3

This is me. Roll on Tuesday.

They'll also go bust, and take the industry with them.

Incidentally doesn't PSN Plus have DRM?

Hardly. I think any Netflix-style sub service is going to be of PS1 and PS2 games, not even remotely current titles. And just like Netflix, that's a good way to get a little extra income out of stuff very few people are willing to buy outright. It's the long tail, applied to gaming generations. How would that wreck the industry?

Incidentally doesn't PSN Plus have DRM?

Yes, you can't access the 40 or so free games you get a year without being a paying subscriber. Which I think is fair.

DRM does not automatically = bad. It is how it is used in the circumstances of the content.

I know that physical discs won't work but is there at least the possibility that PS4 could offer backwards compatibility through emulation for digital versions of PS3 games? If Sony could switch the focus of PS+ to not only offer PS4 games but also a huge digital gaming library covering the PS 1,2 and 3 generations that would be something I'd pay a subscription for.

Crucially, it doesn't require an internet connection to play Plus games, the license key is on the system and already validated. If I have wobbly internet for a day or two and get signed out of the network, it doesn't stop me playing the games, nor does it stop me launching them.

I know that physical discs won't work

They'd work fine -- it's all just Bluray.

but is there at least the possibility that PS4 could offer backwards compatibility through emulation for digital versions of PS3 games?

Emulation requires huge overhead, often more than one generation's worth of improvement. Look at the rather half-baked support for PS2 games on the (later model) PS3, or the limited number of manual re-ports to play some Xbox games on the 360 -- often beset by small glitches. So it's not impossible, but it's not easy, and it's not Sony's currently discussed strategy (which is to use Gaikai game streaming).

I know that physical discs won't work but is there at least the possibility that PS4 could offer backwards compatibility through emulation for digital versions of PS3 games?

It's the same issue, the difference between them is minor. Even for disc titles, the system will look to the hard drive for an updated binary rather than run the binary on the disc first. So any possible solution would apply to both digital and disc versions. PS4 doesn't play PS3 discs because it doesn't offer any PS3 compatibility. For example if they make a ps1 emulator, it should read discs as well as digital versions

I know that physical discs won't work but is there at least the possibility that PS4 could offer backwards compatibility through emulation for digital versions of PS3 games? If Sony could switch the focus of PS+ to not only offer PS4 games but also a huge digital gaming library covering the PS 1,2 and 3 generations that would be something I'd pay a subscription for.

There was some discussion about this topic elsewhere, recompilation of the code so it ran natively on x86 would be the only way to do it reliably, but dunno how straightforward that is. A lot of emulators use a similar trick, stuff like DYNAREC or HLE, way less hardware resource intensive compared to LLE, but potentially way buggier.

There was some discussion about this topic elsewhere, recompilation of the code so it ran natively on x86 would be the only way to do it reliably, but dunno how straightforward that is. A lot of emulators use a similar trick, stuff like DYNAREC or HLE, way less hardware resource intensive compared to LLE, but potentially way buggier.

Orders of magnitude, I'd have thought - people had to really faff about to make use of the SPEs: it's not like the old consoles where you were "just" replacing lower level graphics calls.

Dunno, somebody hinted that CELL code would translate quite well onto the GPU, but recompiling stuff manually is not free and may not be straightforward, while letting an emulator do it on the fly isn't straightforward either, even if you have loads of power on tap.

Dunno if anyone's interested, but I'm about to stream about 20 minutes of playing Planetside 2 via TwitchTV. Here's the URL:

http://www.twitch.tv/crimson_horizon

The reason I want to try this out is apparently the PS4 is going to use Twitch, and Planetside 2 is by Sony Online Entertainment, which collectively suggests that it may be using the same technology as the PS4 for its streaming gubbins. I'm just interested in knowing if it works particularly well, so if anyone watches for a couple of minutes and posts as to how it appears, that'd be helpful. I'll start in 30 seconds or so.

EDIT: It seems to be causing a lot of audio issues in-game. I'm going to reboot it and keep going.

Even if Sony had tougher DRM than this generation, I'd still go with them, primarily because they are Japanese and therefore not subject to PRISM. I hate this invasion of privacy stuff, especially when the company willingly signs up to it (unlike when Sony was hacked over a year ago)

Any US servers would be subject to US law; along with anything done by Sony of America. Don't kid yourself.