IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

Pretty much this. I've been mulling over in my head about what to pick up. Do I prefer the pure scale of Planetside 2 for free or the graphical fidelity of Killzone 4 for >£40? It's not really a choice in my mind.

Planetside reminds me of Warhawk which was a brilliant game back in the early PS3 days. I'm now just waiting to hear what is said at the conference and then I'm going to throw a pre order down.

If you like Warhawk or MAG, you'll love Planetside 2.

It's basically Battlefield's shooting/vehicle gameplay with MAG's levelling and customisation wrapped up in a Halo-esque visual treatment, on WoW's scale.

Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 had keyboard, mouse and third party add on support in 2007. Unreal Tournament on PS2 had keyboard and mouse support! Sony has never had any problem letting developers do that, in stark contrast to Microsoft.

Dreamcast Quake 3 in 2000 had keyboard/mouse support and had cross platform PC/DC servers. You'd end up getting mullered playing on a DC pad against PC players, but played fine with keyboard/mouse.

If you like Warhawk or MAG, you'll love Planetside 2.

It's basically Battlefield's shooting/vehicle gameplay with MAG's levelling and customisation wrapped up in a Halo-esque visual treatment, on WoW's scale.

Sold!

Oh wait.it's free :)

Sold!

Oh wait.it's free :)

You'll probably want to spend money in it though; you do get a lot for your cash. There's the cosmetic stuff, but also you can unlock additional weapons and whatnot. Nothing which is competitively better, but it massively increases the variety of what you can do in-game.

You can earn nearly all of it just via playing of course, but it can take a long time.

I'm not really a fan of these PC free to plays

All I'd say is try not to judge them all by the standards we judged such things years ago. Not every F2P title is a Zynga exercise in ripping people off. Some of them are very reasonable and you end up paying about the same as you would've paid for something like WoW - except it's not a subscription, and you never need to "renew" if you just fancy playing one for an afternoon.

except it's not a subscription, and you never need to "renew" if you just fancy playing one for an afternoon.

And with the non-existent barrier to entry, there are a lot more people to play with too.

All I'd say is try not to judge them all by the standards we judged such things years ago. Not every F2P title is a Zynga exercise in ripping people off. Some of them are very reasonable and you end up paying about the same as you would've paid for something like WoW - except it's not a subscription, and you never need to "renew" if you just fancy playing one for an afternoon.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure I will play it now and again. I just don't want the platform to be bombarded with them. It's not launch yet and we've already heard a bunch of them will be out for the PS4.

Alex W., on 06 Jun 2013 - 12:48, said:

I must try Warframe. Is the spec especially high? My laptop's just got Intel HD 3000 in it.

I just about managed all the bells and whistles at 60fps on a 650ti, if that's any help.

It's always worth looking at some Youtube videos - HD3000 Gameplay looks choppy (if you pardon the expression), but do-able at least. You always claw back a few FPS when you're not running video capture software as well, so you should be looking at an okay experience.

But hey, it's free, and it weighs in at something like 1.5GB. That's bordering on some X-Box Live Arcade title sizes, It's probably just a better idea overall to have a stab (actually fuck pardoning expressions) at it.

Turn down everything and wave your arms about like a twat while shouting at the TV, accidentally changing to TV mode! Then it can look like the XBone version!

Fixed.

I find it kinda funny that Microsoft, for all their PC leverage, are spending all their time avoiding making the XBone seem like an awesome gaming PC, whereas Sony are looking at what's going on in PC-land with indie games and free-to-play and actively embracing it.

It's always worth looking at some Youtube videos - HD3000 Gameplay looks choppy (if you pardon the expression), but do-able at least. You always claw back a few FPS when you're not running video capture software as well, so you should be looking at an okay experience.

But hey, it's free, and it weighs in at something like 1.5GB. That's bordering on some X-Box Live Arcade title sizes, It's probably just a better idea overall to have a stab (actually fuck pardoning expressions) at it.

Yeah, I'll probably DL it this weekend. 1GB is nothing.

Gametrailers will show some stuff before the press conference.

MONDAY, JUNE 10

3 PM ET 4 PM KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL, KNACK, EVIL WITHIN AND MORE

Attention PlayStation Nation! Our live coverage continues with world premiere PLAYSTATION 4 content as a preview of Sony's big E3 press conference later in the day. Hermen Hulst from Guerilla joins us to discuss all things KILLZONE, including the world premiere of new footage from KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL for PS4. Also, a exclusive, brand-new look at Mark Cerny's game KNACK for PS4. If that wasn't enough, Bethesda drops by our live stage with the exclusive first-ever look at gameplay from Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN and a first look at the E3 demo of WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER. Plus, we check in with MICHAEL PACHTER as we lead up to the EA E3 press conference, and Dave Cox from MercurySteam arrives with the world premiere first live gameplay demo of CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW 2, and the E3 trailer from INFINITE CRISIS premieres.

Cerny!

And T-shirts!

R7201594.jpg