IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

But the PS eye does not need to be connected to the PS4 to ensure it works, unlike Xbone and Kinect mandatory connection. That's the big difference.

MS can stick their media hub up their Kinect.

I've pre-ordered a games console - #TeamSony. :omg:

But the PS eye does not need to be connected to the PS4 to ensure it works, unlike Xbone and Kinect mandatory connection. That's the big difference.

MS can stick their media hub up their Kinect.

I've pre-ordered a games console - #teamSony. :omg:

I don't think Sony have said either way. Surely the DualShock 4 will need it for tracking?

I'd been so fixated on which console I planned on getting it hadn't occurred to me that the answer would be "Neither until a price drop".

Even if they are released at a more realistic £399 I'll probably still chicken out at the checkout.

Just had an email from Amazon, saying that I can now preorder the PS4 for the ridiculous sum of £599 !

Oh dear.

Amazon are just covering their back with regards to price though - they have no idea how much it will cost so put it up at £599 so it's unlikely they undercharge. It'll be £300 - £399 most likely.

Personally I'd rather spend an extra £10 on the console if it meant developers could guarantee everyone with a PS4 had a camera. Not that I'm particularly interested in current camera-based games, but being a pack-in would make integration of, and experimentation with, the Eye's features more relevant to me.

On the other hand, I suppose Kinect being standard in the Xbox One might pick up the slack as far as third-party support is concerned; if they've putting a feature in one version that might as well include it in the other.

The console must cost loads as it is. If they had to cost cut, I don't mind it being left out. What will it do apart from stuff we've seen like the wonderbook and that weird card game, the controller tracking thing?

The console must cost loads as it is. If they had to cost cut, I don't mind it being left out. What will it do apart from stuff we've seen like the wonderbook and that weird card game, the controller tracking thing?

Given they've put LEDs in the controller deliberately, it isn't getting cut. It'll be watching you, just like kinect but without the IR seeing in the dark capabilities.

From the end of an official Sony video about the DS4.

iJgqRWP.png

Excellent news, if true.

And that would contradict this developer statement from three days ago, which Sony confirmed.

ORIGINAL STORY: A trusted PlayStation 4 developer source with a proven track record for accuracy has told Digital Foundry that Sony has mandated Vita Remote Play for all upcoming PS4 games - except those that require the use of its bundled stereoscopic camera, the PS4 Eye."

UPDATE: Sony has confirmed our exclusive report about Vita Remote Play and PlayStation 4 games.

"Yes, it's true unless the game requires specific hardware like the camera," Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida wrote on Twitter in response to a question from a follower. "It will be great to play PS4 games on PS Vita.

It's bundled with PS4, for sure. There's no way Sony are going to split the options again like Move, not when they've integrated it into DS4 - and MM made such a show (I don't know what the fuck it was meant to be though) of their love for Move.

Given they've put LEDs in the controller deliberately, it isn't getting cut. It'll be watching you, just like kinect but without the IR seeing in the dark capabilities.

It'll be watching the pad, more specifically. Sony has none of the tech to build a model of the user in 3D that Microsoft has access to, which is all patented by a company Microsoft has an exclusive agreement with.

What will it do apart from stuff we've seen like the wonderbook and that weird card game, the controller tracking thing?

Well, it has two offset cameras both running at twice the resolution of the PS3 camera, so it should be much more capable in terms of AR and body/position tracking. It also has a built-in microphone array, so it should suffice for things like Dance Central or mic-less SingStar; not my cup of tea, but obviously a lucrative market.

As for more general use, obviously you have things like facial-recognition, voice commands, head tracking, etc. It could also be used when you're livestreaming games or for video chat if that's a thing. Having it packed in would also grant the Move a new lease of life as an even more accurate 3D mouse.

I don't think there's any one thing about the camera that sells it, but if Sony want to get the most out of it then it needs to come with the console. It also closes a feature gap with the Xbox One; Sony's solution isn't as advanced/expensive, but it's capable enough to handle the functions of Kinect that are easiest to sell.

08246454-009-small_0.jpgsonyadpatent_2-580x472.jpg

Console bundled with pickle confirmed.

It'll be watching the pad, more specifically. Sony has none of the tech to build a model of the user in 3D that Microsoft has access to, which is all patented by a company Microsoft has an exclusive agreement with.

You think? It'll have face recognition, and Sony's r&d team have been using cameras and real time image change detection since the PS2 days.

Skeletal tracking based on IR: sure, is Microsoft's domain. Skeletal or other modelling based on stereo cameras is a different set of algorithms - and really you're only really interested in constraints of motion.

(Tldr: 3d body tracking is just one of the capabilities of kinect and its software, and not the one that'll be used by most games).