rllmuk
mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

Happy 6(ish) Birthday PlayStation 4!

Here is a pleasing set of moving images set to some music to highlight some of the games I have been playing for the last year. PS4 is still my favourite console ever - just ridiculously solid - solid hardware, great exclusives, most of the Indies, all of the VR and almost every visual novel you could ever want (except Policenauts and Snatcher)

• Upvote 8

Agreed with it being solid - it was only when the PS5 announcement came out that I realised that having bought all four previous consoles on release day, the PS4 is the only one that has so far not needed either replacing, fixing or turning upside down to load the disc. Only had the thumb grips wearing out and R2 losing spring on the original controller, which is pretty impressive for a constant usage over six years now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wullie said:

Agreed with it being solid - it was only when the PS5 announcement came out that I realised that having bought all four previous consoles on release day, the PS4 is the only one that has so far not needed either replacing, fixing or turning upside down to load the disc. Only had the thumb grips wearing out and R2 losing spring on the original controller, which is pretty impressive for a constant usage over six years now.

My launch day unit still works, but it hasn't been used since the Pro launched.  I am on my second Pro mind you.  My launch console still runs fine but is annoyingly loud so I picked up one of the DS limited consoles.

The PS2 must be the most durable console I've ever used. It went through seven house moves, was in near-constant use for several years, and was once dropped onto a concrete floor while playing a DVD, and still worked fine when I chucked it out.

The PS4 doesn't feel anywhere near as solid - mine still works, but occasionally randomly turns itself on and off, which is indescribably annoying when I'm about to win a Gambit match in Destiny.

Well, at least it doesn't happen very often.

My (two) PS4s have been fine, but I've gone through several DualShocks. Every one of them develops a faulty left stick. Probably a case of giganto-left-thumbitis but still. Still.

Edit: Fuck you Mike.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

Fuck you guys, it happened when I was about to win, and will almost certainly happen again if I win a second time.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, bradigor said:

My son got a PS4 today for his birthday. What are the essentials from the past 18 months we may have missed? 

Astrobot. PSVR is only about another £150 these days.

• Upvote 2

Not sure if you have access to other consoles, as some of the below are multi platform. Clearly it will also depend on the genres you like, but the below are all recommended by me.

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise

Tetris Effect

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Fire Pro Wrestling World

Dragon Quest XI

Resident Evil 2

Devil May Cry V

Red Dead Redemption 2

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

12 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Not sure if you have access to other consoles, as some of the below are multi platform. Clearly it will also depend on the genres you like, but the below are all recommended by me.

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise

Tetris Effect

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Fire Pro Wrestling World

Dragon Quest XI

Resident Evil 2

Devil May Cry V

Red Dead Redemption 2

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Tetris Effect is coming! Forgot all about Fire Pro, will add that to the wish list!

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

My son got a PS4 today for his birthday. What are the essentials from the past 18 months we may have missed? 

Spiderman

Burnout Paradise

Wipeout Omega

Project Cars 2

Ratchet & Clank

Star Wars BF 2 ( Ignore the haters, micro transactions disappeared ages ago, it’s still supported by the developers with new content & it’s bloody good fun!)

Almost all can be got for £25 or less.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, bradigor said:

Fortnite ;) 

Do you have PS+?

Both my PS4 machines have been solid, noisier than a 360 after a while and many launch pads fell apart or had trigger issues but yeah it’s a hell of a machine.

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Fortnite ;) 

Do you have PS+?

Both my PS4 machines have been solid, noisier than a 360 after a while and many launch pads fell apart or had trigger issues but yeah it’s a hell of a machine.

Ha, no Fortnite in the house, has an adverse effect on his attitude, especially when on his meds for some reason. 

Tons of older titles through old reviews and PS+ sitting there, such a good catalogue!

I think we are looking at the following over the next months. 

Tetris Effect

God of War
Spider-Man

Fire Pro Wrestling

Wreckfest

Should see us good for a while. 

Hopefully some sales come along for most of them. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Ha, no Fortnite in the house, has an adverse effect on his attitude, especially when on his meds for some reason. 

Tons of older titles through old reviews and PS+ sitting there, such a good catalogue!

I think we are looking at the following over the next months. 

Tetris Effect

God of War
Spider-Man

Fire Pro Wrestling

Wreckfest

Should see us good for a while. 

Hopefully some sales come along for most of them. 

I know that God of War is now part of the Playstation Hits range, so its only £15.99. But there maybe others you/your son are interested in.

HTH

I don’t get all this talk of solid hardware. When have consoles not been? I mean, obviously there was the 360 RROD, Which luckily I was never affected by, but I honestly can’t recall ever having a console fail on me. I’ve still got all my old consoles in the garage going as far back as the GC and I can imagine they’d all fire up if I plugged them in.

13 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

I know that God of War is now part of the Playstation Hits range, so its only £15.99. But there maybe others you/your son are interested in.

HTH

That's good to know actually. Will keep an eye out. 

Tetris is the one I look forward to most. But didn't realise how expensive FPW was :lol: 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bradigor said:

PS Now is a pretty good service. Myself and my 2 boys are getting a lot from that, so much so I’ve dropped PS+ and got a year long sub to now instead. Online play for Now titles doesn’t need plus and streaming the ps3 stuff has been really good so far

7 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Looking at getting the nephew PSVR for xmas, are the move controllers worthwhile/necessary?

I bought my headset on launch and didn't get the Moves until last year; there's stuff out there that you can enjoy with a DS4 controller, but it depends on what you want to play. :) 

• Upvote 1

Does VR work if you are stereo blind? My right eye is next to useless, I can’t see 3D films or the 3D on the 3DS, so would I still be able to use VR? Looking around suggests I should be OK but wondered if anyone here had personal experience

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Does VR work if you are stereo blind? My right eye is next to useless, I can’t see 3D films or the 3D on the 3DS, so would I still be able to use VR? Looking around suggests I should be OK but wondered if anyone here had personal experience

Same boat here really.  Blind in right eye thanks to a football accident age 4 (detatched retina, see light if I close my left eye but only if it's like a very very foggy day) 3-d doesn't work for me on films (only time I tried a pair of 3-d glasses in the shop I had a raging headache for the rest of the afternoon) and even the normal ds gave me motion sickness.  Really would like to try vr but guessing it wouldn't be a good idea.

Vorgot, assuming you have a ps4 can you not order from somewhere like amazon and return it if you don't like it or are you apprehensive of a reaction to it?

10 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Same boat here really.  Blind in right eye thanks to a football accident age 4 (detatched retina, see light if I close my left eye but only if it's like a very very foggy day) 3-d doesn't work for me on films (only time I tried a pair of 3-d glasses in the shop I had a raging headache for the rest of the afternoon) and even the normal ds gave me motion sickness.  Really would like to try vr but guessing it wouldn't be a good idea.

Vorgot, assuming you have a ps4 can you not order from somewhere like amazon and return it if you don't like it or are you apprehensive of a reaction to it?

Thats a possibility, thanks for the idea. Wish I had tried it in Game when they had the demo units. I don't think I would have a reaction, haven't done before with anything else, it's just if the screens would work with my eyes. I'll try and find a way to try it out before I buy.