rllmuk
mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

20 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Dodgy HDMI lead I thought, so I changed it, which seemed to fix the problem

Strange that a new cable would temporarily fix the problem. Let me ask you this, is your HDMI wiring out of your PS4 at an acute angle at any point? HDMI cables are notoriously bad at doing sharp right angle bends for any length of time. 

22 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Strange that a new cable would temporarily fix the problem. Let me ask you this, is your HDMI wiring out of your PS4 at an acute angle at any point? HDMI cables are notoriously bad at doing sharp right angle bends for any length of time. 

They are 5m flat leads, which are coiled loads at each end running through a chimney breast. :unsure:

Are there any more robust leads I can get instead, designed for such contortions?

I think it might be a combination of the leads and WLOD.

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

Anyone got one of the Nacon Revolution Unlimited Pro Controllers? 

I have the wired one (think the unlimited is wireless?) offset sticks sold me on it and it's great.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Worth the money ?

It has an awful lot going for it, especially in context of the completion.

If you want a controller with some form of buttons or paddles on the underside, you can buy a Scuff and it will break within 6 months or a Battle Beaver (pretty good but a long wait). 

I liked the fact the Nacon is a production unit not a custom, just in case anything did go wrong. That said the build quality is really fantastic, it feels even more solid and we’ll build than a Microsoft Elite controller and way better than a Scuff.

Another major plus is the fact you can customise so many buttons. The drawback of this is that in order to do so, you need to download software for your PC and connect it up, making it quite hard to test and tweak setups and make revisions quickly. If feels awkward and it’s crying out for a phone app for easier customisation on the fly.

For me though unfortunately it’s also just a little bit too big. I’ve got tiny girly hands. I’m often stretching a bit to reach the underside buttons (was a problem with scuff for me too) and so despite really loving it... I just can’t quite get along with. I’m pretty sure someone with average size hands would actually love it. I’ve held onto it and not sold it on the off chance my hands take a growth spurt sometime soon. Or maybe my regular controller will break and force me use the Nacon for a while- it maybe just needs more time to get used to the way I need to hold the controller. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Fargo said:

Anyone got one of the Nacon Revolution Unlimited Pro Controllers? 

Yeah, had it a few weeks now.

Took me a fair bit of tinkering with the software to get the sensitivity just right but really liking it now. Easy to flick between profiles, the grip feels great and the Xbox layout is superior for me at least. 

Only negatives are the sticks could do with a smidge more tension and the back buttons are a bit close together so beware if you have sausage fingers. I bought it more for the comfort than the extra buttons so not really a deal-breaker for me. 

• Upvote 1

Another quick question about the Nacon wireless controller. Is the dongle required if it's used on a ps4? I have a slim so I'm limited to 2 USB slots, one of which has my hard drive and the other my Gold headset. 

Has anyone on here played Echo? I’ve been meaning to pick it up at some stage, but it seemingly never has a price drop or features in the PSN sales. Been out for 2 years now. 

On 01/10/2019 at 14:35, Orbital2060 said:

So was he fired?

He’s been pretty vocal about how he doesn’t like E3 and is probably why they weren’t there this year. I wonder if Sony felt that was a mistake?

(Also I see no-one really cares about his departure here, but I’m sure Easy Allies will be talking about it in their next podcast as they mention him quite a bit)

On 03/10/2019 at 01:37, Stopharage said:

Has anyone on here played Echo? I’ve been meaning to pick it up at some stage, but it seemingly never has a price drop or features in the PSN sales. Been out for 2 years now. 

I only read about this recently but have also been interested in checking it out. Apparently the developer closed after it was released unfortunately. 

SO now that 7.00 is out , aside from the 16 player parties and controller compatibilitiy with iOS etc. One of the things I noticed was a proper calibration tool for HDR in display settings  (it even prompted me the first time i put in a HDR compatible game yesterday)

@Thor

Someone is going to tell me that has always been there now

I noticed the calibration tool yesterday as well, it's definitely new for that update. I played Destiny 2 last night and didn't really see a difference...

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I noticed the calibration tool yesterday as well, it's definitely new for that update. I played Destiny 2 last night and didn't really see a difference...

Yeah I couldn't tell much of a difference either- I just wondered how much of it would be controlled by the system and how much would be done by the game options.

Control's definitely worth playing. Wot I thought (not really spoilers, but the words come over more negatively than I actually feel about the game; it has much to commend it):

Spoiler

On 12/09/2019 at 20:31, Gorf King said:

Yeah, I just finished the last two missions - I guess I did 'that' bit, which was hugely enjoyable. They just went all cod-Matrix and made it lots of cheesy sci-fi fun, with plenty of imagination in the environments and a pumping soundtrack, and that goes a long way in a video game. The contrast between those sections and the couple of optional boss bits I'd been doing immediately beforehand - trailing from distant checkpoint back to boss room after every teeth-grinding sudden death - couldn't be greater. Two sides of a slightly schizophrenic game.

I think some of the linear, plot-driven parts of this were really excellent, but I have to agree in hindsight that the 'farming' bits were unnecessary and just served to interfere with the rhythm of the game. As did some of the optional boss parts (still not sure if I'll ever return to them; guess I'll see how I feel after a day or two). And as did things like the Bureau Alerts, which seemed to pop up and obscure the screen at the most inopportune moments, including during critical mission sequences. 

Although the optional exploration was often enjoyable in itself, and did serve to underline the feeling that the house was a mysterious place, I think they could have made the end goal of those sections more than just a box with more materials, and the end goal of many of the quests one of those difficulty spike optional bosses. They showed enough imagination in some of the chapter endings of the main story - especially towards the end - to make me think they could have done better in resolving the optional stuff.

Overall, I'm glad I played it, but given the choice I think this would have worked better as a purely linear narrative-driven game without the excursions and material upgrade requirements. Maybe just gradually accrue your abilities, weapons and upgrades naturally as you make your way through the game, this opening up stuff behind you that was previously inaccessible. (The way the upgrades simply didn't appear for certain weapons also baffled me right to the end. Intentional or bug? It's so odd and unsatisfying it's really hard to say, and that uncertainty says a lot about the game.)

And for god's sake, let it at least maintain a solid 30 frames on console.

Apart from that, good game. 9/10 mixed with 6/10, and also a bit of 7/18, but in what proportions fuck knows.

I want to watch a full series of Threshold Kids now.

On 14/09/2019 at 15:19, Gorf King said:

Aye, I think some of the writing, VA and world building - and the atmosphere - is great. But underneath that there's a fairly routine 3rd-person shooter-with-powers. Not a poor one, but nothing great. I ended up going back to clear up the optional bosses and few remaining secret areas after finishing the story and most extras, and just cheesed the fuckers. Not great boss battle design really - it's almost as if you're encouraged to just hide somewhere they can't go (upstairs for two of the bosses - what are they, fucking Daleks?) and peek out and chip them down. And the M***-1 m*****f***** can fucking do one. In the end I just cheesed him too by standing stock still on a block, shielding when he attacked and letting rip for a few seconds in between his attacks. A bit of a rubbish approach, but a bit of a rubbish boss too, to be fair, and this way was far more effective than actually, you know, moving and playing tactically.

Man, it sounds like I'm really down on the game but I'm not. The combat was fun enough for the most part, but if they could only have made that more interesting - even Mass Effect levels of interesting, I'm not talking 3rd-person Halo here - this game would really be up there. And yeah, I do think the combat in ME was generally a lot more engaging - even just having some sort of combo system would have added some depth and interest. And a bit more imaginative AI maybe.

I still don't understand the weapon upgrade system either. I got the blueprint for the highest level Pierce right after finishing the story, but never got the last Shatter upgrade to pop. And I never even made the Charge. Just didn't feel the need to. A fully-upgraded Grip and Pierce combo, with a Shatter when charging in all gung-ho, were more than enough to do everything necessary.

Tis a good game overall though - I can tell because I'm just about to trade it in and feeling a pang of pseudo-regret as I wish there was still stuff left to do, so I could keep playing a bit longer. Just as long as that 'more stuff' wasn't more optional bosses that can't walk up stairs. But I suppose it's a good thing that it's not overstayed its welcome in the end.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

PSN is having one of its constant sales. Control and Grid are in it. Can anyone recommend them? I'm tempted.

Control is brilliant. Will be in my top 5 for 2019.

• Upvote 1

On 02/10/2019 at 16:41, Fargo said:

Another quick question about the Nacon wireless controller. Is the dongle required if it's used on a ps4? I have a slim so I'm limited to 2 USB slots, one of which has my hard drive and the other my Gold headset. 

I am sure it will need either the usb cable

or the usb wireless adaptor - so in short, you will need a usb socket. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, kthxbliz said:

I am sure it will need either the usb cable

or the usb wireless adaptor - so in short, you will need a usb socket. 

Yep been using the controller now for the last 3 days. Really impressed so far. I'll have to pick up a small usb adapter so I can have the Gold headset connected at the same time.