rllmuk
mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

10 hours ago, fretnoise said:

It looks like it - the £4/month thing auto-renews though so you'd have to go and cancel it before you accidentally renewed.

Despite the general lacklustre reception here, I showed my son the list of games in the EA Access vault and he got very excited.  We usually wait for the yearly FIFA update until it's a sensible price so this might just end up cost neutral in that regard, and as a bonus lets us try out things we probably wouldn't have bothered with previously (i.e. all of the other yearly sports franchises - there's gotta be a good game somewhere in there, right? ...right?)

The other thing I wanted to check was that the games aren't tied to the account on which you pay for EA Access.  All accounts on my PS4 (which is my only console) can play the games that I download on my account through EA Access.  Was slightly worried I'd need to get the boy his own account (like Fortnite battle passes etc) but that's not the case.  YMMV if you have multiple consoles, I guess.

It works like game sharing does. Certainly on xbox anyway. So two people on different consoles can share one ea access pass.  

I've seen people on here moan about how loud their OG PS4 is. I always put it down to poor ventilation - mine would occasionally whir a little when really pressed, but nothing too obtrusive.

Since I moved house though, holy shit my PS4 has turned into a harrier jump jet afterburner. It still has just as much ventilation, but just moving it from one house to another has totally changed its volume.

56 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

I've seen people on here moan about how loud their OG PS4 is. I always put it down to poor ventilation - mine would occasionally whir a little when really pressed, but nothing too obtrusive.

Since I moved house though, holy shit my PS4 has turned into a harrier jump jet afterburner. It still has just as much ventilation, but just moving it from one house to another has totally changed its volume.

sympathetic resonance. is it still in the same cabinet? is there a chance the properties of the cabinet have changed in the move?

gone from carpet to wooden floor? 

but also, vacuum the vents.

It's in the same cabinet, in a smaller (but not small) room. It's still got plenty of breathing space. Maybe there isn't as much room ventilation in the new room as the old.

On 25/07/2019 at 13:03, markh said:

It’s 20 for a year or 3.99 a month btw if you didn’t already know

There are two games in the list that I’d want to play (Burnout and Mirror’s Edge) which cost less than a year’s sub to buy outright.

I don’t think EA Access is for me :)

Can anyone tell me why my PS4 has the worst connection out of all I've my devices? It's wired directly into the router, the green box is over the road outside my house and steam downloads at 8MB/s (or whichever one it is, basically 80 meg fibre). Every time I test it it's hangs around the 22mb mark. I've changed the cable and tried all sorts of other fucker but it's still garbage. Is it PSN/something else out of my control?

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Can anyone tell me why my PS4 has the worst connection out of all I've my devices? It's wired directly into the router, the green box is over the road outside my house and steam downloads at 8MB/s (or whichever one it is, basically 80 meg fibre). Every time I test it it's hangs around the 22mb mark. I've changed the cable and tried all sorts of other fucker but it's still garbage. Is it PSN/something else out of my control?

Don't think it's PSN. I have a 36 MB connection and just done a test, it's at 36 on the PS4. Mine is wired into the router as well. Bizarre. 

10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Pausing the download and restarting sometimes speeds it up.  I'm sure I read something a while back that said Sony picks one CDN to download from and sticks to it while MS dynamically changes it as you download to pick the best one.   Pausing and restarting makes your Ps4 pick  the best one again.   

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/cdn/what-is-a-cdn/

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Pausing the download and restarting sometimes speeds it up.  I'm sure I read something a while back that said Sony picks one CDN to download from and sticks to it while MS dynamically changes it as you download to pick the best one.   Pausing and restarting makes your Ps4 pick  the best one again.   

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/cdn/what-is-a-cdn/

Does it do that with the network test? I've got a whole suite of problems but they mainly only happen with the PS4 and I'm wondering if it's the router, the ps4, both or neither.

I paused the download and restarted it and it dropped from 3 hours to 90 mins so that's summat.

41 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Does it do that with the network test? I've got a whole suite of problems but they mainly only happen with the PS4 and I'm wondering if it's the router, the ps4, both or neither.

I paused the download and restarted it and it dropped from 3 hours to 90 mins so that's summat.

I've generally found the Ps4 to be the slowest when it comes to downloads.  

I assume the network test is the same but not sure,  pick a CDN at the start of the download and stick to it probably. 

What other issues are you getting other than slow downloads?

• Upvote 1

I have a weird issue with Battlefield V where I encounter stuttering when noone else does. There are no icons on the screen to indicate anything's wrong and my ping time is around 30 but every so often I'll stop running for half a second then start again while the game is continuing on around me as if everything is fine. I also get the network indicator in H1Z1 but I just presumed that was because H1Z1 is a buggy sack of crap.

17 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I have a weird issue with Battlefield V where I encounter stuttering when noone else does. There are no icons on the screen to indicate anything's wrong and my ping time is around 30 but every so often I'll stop running for half a second then start again while the game is continuing on around me as if everything is fine. I also get the network indicator in H1Z1 but I just presumed that was because H1Z1 is a buggy sack of crap.

That is a bit odd. 

What NAT type you on?

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-change-nat-type-on-ps4/

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

That is a bit odd. 

What NAT type you on?

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-change-nat-type-on-ps4/

Usually Type 2. I've made sure Upnp has been enabled and I've put it in the DMZ. I can't manually forward the ports as my router settings are odd and/or I'm an idiot.upnp.JPG.70261b3bce20330435844fe85dd1906b.JPG

After all this I tested it twice. Once it was 49mb, the second time it was 6.9mb <_<

EDIT: apologies to everyone for the garbage chat, this is the only place I can get relatively straight answers without having to go through the whole "Have you turned it off and on again" garbage.

Are you getting any consistent speeds when doing a speedtest on the your PC or mobile?    I tend to use speedtest app on iphone or https://www.speedtest.net/ on pc.     They do vary a little from one test to the other but not as much as yours. 

I'd do 5 tests and see what that gives you.   If your PC and phone are giving better and more consistent results that the PS4 then I would imagine it's not your internet connection that is flakey.      If they are also giving some real dodgy results then it could be your internet connection.  On previous times I've had a variable connection the endineer did some stuff with the connector for the cable modem (Virgin) and it sorted it. 

who you with internet wise?

• Upvote 1

Could be packet loss/errors due to signal attenuation. If you're on Virgin it's relatively straightforward to check the Virgin router for errors and if the power levels are set correctly.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Are you getting any consistent speeds when doing a speedtest on the your PC or mobile?    I tend to use speedtest app on iphone or https://www.speedtest.net/ on pc.     They do vary a little from one test to the other but not as much as yours. 

I'd do 5 tests and see what that gives you.   If your PC and phone are giving better and more consistent results that the PS4 then I would imagine it's not your internet connection that is flakey.      If they are also giving some real dodgy results then it could be your internet connection.  On previous times I've had a variable connection the endineer did some stuff with the connector for the cable modem (Virgin) and it sorted it. 

who you with internet wise?

I'm just doing the one on the PS4, the connection on everything else is fine. I've whittled it down to just the PS4 as all the other devices have consistent speed (except the xbox after 6pmish which uniformly tanks to half it's regular speed). I think the long and short is I'm going to need a better router as the one Plusnet provided is a cheap piece of shit. They used to give Netgear routers out but just have their own branded garbage now.

Thanks for the help, checking the upnp and DMZ has upped the speed.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Could be packet loss/errors due to signal attenuation. If you're on Virgin it's relatively straightforward to check the Virgin router for errors and if the power levels are set correctly.

This is what ended up happening with me when my son complained of his ping on fortnite going from 10ms to several hundred at least once or twice every day. 

Heads up - the current PSN sale isn't bad, but yesterday evening I got an email titled "PlayStation Store Summer Sale | New deals just added!" which seems ho-hum and almost got deleted but then I spotted there's a possibly account specific code for an additional 25% off, which on top of some of the sale prices makes quite a difference all told.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

Heads up - the current PSN sale isn't bad, but yesterday evening I got an email titled "PlayStation Store Summer Sale | New deals just added!" which seems ho-hum and almost got deleted but then I spotted there's a possibly account specific code for an additional 25% off, which on top of some of the sale prices makes quite a difference all told.

I got that email, but no code :( 

19 hours ago, stefcha said:

18 hours ago, Fargo said:

I got that email, but no code :( 

Blimey.  Just rechecked my email and I got the code.   Something about missing me on the ps store since i’ve not bought anything for a while. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Blimey.  Just rechecked my email and I got the code.   Something about missing me on the ps store since i’ve not bought anything for a while. 

I got the code Wednesday evening. Went to the PS store, filled my basket, checked the discount. Pretty happy with the price for all the PS4 games remaining that I want. Need credit though, but I decided to pick it up the next day, the sale and the voucher doesn't end 'til the 21st after all! Except it turns out God of War and Spider-Man were only on sale 'til the midnight on Wednesday for some reason :facepalm:

Purchases now scaled back to just No Man's Sky and Tetris Effect, bah.

19 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I got the code Wednesday evening. Went to the PS store, filled my basket, checked the discount. Pretty happy with the price for all the PS4 games remaining that I want. Need credit though, but I decided to pick it up the next day, the sale and the voucher doesn't end 'til the 21st after all! Except it turns out God of War and Spider-Man were only on sale 'til the midnight on Wednesday for some reason :facepalm:

Purchases now scaled back to just No Man's Sky and Tetris Effect, bah.

Ah balls. Spider-Man was on my wishlist.   Would have snapped that up. 

I’ll probably get Tetris Effect and see what else grabs me. 

Just a FYI, Sony sent out a mail on the 7th promoting their new sale (titled - PlayStation Store Summer Sale | New deals just added). It seems like the email has a hidden 25% discount code embedded into the text. 

It was only after seeing it mentioned on twitter was I aware. I looked back at the mail and mine didn't have the code. But as per instructions, I viewed it in plain text and there is loads of random text at the end, I copied it into base64decode and there it was. A valid 25% code.

If anyone wants a guide, just seen this post on Resetera explaining it better.

Not to decide what to use it on. Was thinking Subnautica, but unsure of another open world. Currently playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, have Watch Dogs 2 ready to play plus the new NMS expansion comes out next week.
Might use the code to finally get Celeste, know its not in the sale but been looking to play it for a while, but does look difficult though.
Just realised RAD comes out on the 20th, so might hold out and get that.

Ow decisions.

• Upvote 7

That hidden code thing totally works. For a Gmail person, download the email, then open it using your web browser. Code is right there.

• Upvote 2

I have the email but I'll be buggered if I can see anything looking like a code. If I open the eml file in chrome, do I need to decode base64?

I downloaded from Gmail and opened it in Chrome, didn't need to do anything else. Should be under a heading 'A bonus incentive just for you'

I dont appear to have it... ALthough my method of opening may be something to do with that

Mail on iphone>fowarded to work email>saved email (lotus notes)>Opened in chrome

I got the code too (had to paste the email into a base64 decoder to see it). I spent it already, in case they made a mistake, so it definitely works. Amazing value!

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but the code seems to work on anything rather than just the sale stuff as I assumed it was.