Jump to content
rllmuk
mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

Recommended Posts

On 11/04/2019 at 14:38, Naieve said:

I decided to buy a Pro to enjoy Sekiro at a slightly better framerate (but still 720p, looool), can I just pull the HDD out of my original PS4 and stick it in the pro rather than having to download shit again?

 

Just done the same myself yesterday. Nice unit. V2 pad is odd with grey coloured buttons. Rubber on the analogue sticks feels quite different. Less grippy for sure guessing to solve the problem of the rubber wearing down on the original (never had any issues with my original pad though...)

 

Data transfer is painless enough though think it took around an hour or so just popped it on and grabbed a coffee.

 

Looking forward to trying Gran Turismo Sport on this at some point. Ready to enjoy the exclusives this year...oh and will start Shadow of the Colossus again on this. Supposed to run at a smooth 60fps... Fingers crossed!!! Found it almost impossible on the 7th colossus (i?) on the PS2 all those years ago! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing on my new PS4 Pro and its quite noisy!!! :) I was having a blast on ResoGun and the fans were whirring up a bit. Nothing too drastic though guess its normal! Not sure what the original Pro was like as this is supposed to be the quiet one! :D  I was sat near it though... Guessing Resogun might be enhanced a bit for the Pro.. looks like HDR is added at least?! Still a great game... first I played on my base PS4 too. Still as addictive as ever....

 

EDIT: OK Resogun did indeed get a 4K patch awesome! 

https://www.digitalfoundry.net/2017-02-28-resogun-ps4-pro-4k-patch-analysis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a Pro playing any Pro-enhanced game is nearly always noisier than one would want, particularly if that someone is used to the apparently very quiet Xboxes. Sony simply haven't spent the time/effort/cost on keeping the noise levels down.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think a Pro playing any Pro-enhanced game is nearly always noisier than one would want, particularly if that someone is used to the apparently very quiet Xboxes. Sony simply haven't spent the time/effort/cost on keeping the noise levels down.

 

Ah fair point... had a quick look around online.. .heatsink and fan affair.. they've just increased the heatsink size no fancy vapour chambers or anything. When the sound is cranked up its not an issue TBH.... Think the Xbox has being incredibly quiet so maybe just noticed it more! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

There is one pro that’s meant to be quiet, not sure if it’s in the wild but the RDR2 bundle was another revision.

 

Yep thats the one I have (CU-H 7200). As I say not really fussed its not annoyingly loud or anything.... just surprised as its labelled as "the quiet one!!!".

 

Wasn't really going to move onto a pro this gen but got one for a good price (early birthday pressie to myself) so figured why not... looking forward to playing the new exclusives this year in a bit better def and HDR. The UI definitely feels a little smoother.. but that might be me just trying to find differences! :D 

 

Not sure how effective the boost mode is on games... hopefully see improvements here and there. I was impressed with Resogun though noticed the improvements straight away! Very shiny... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

 Yep thats the one I have (CU-H 7200). As I say not really fussed its not annoyingly loud or anything.... just surprised as its labelled as "the quiet one!!!".

 

Should say CUH-7216B on it, 7200 is just the series in general. RDR2 boxed bundle definitely did have that though, ended up with that one myself just to be sure (fortunately at a time where I could shift RDR2 for a decent amount still!), and while it's not Xbox One X silent it's certainly been pretty quiet for me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not sure how effective the boost mode is on games... hopefully see improvements here and there. I was impressed with Resogun though noticed the improvements straight away! Very shiny... 

 

 

You're only going to see improvements from Boost mode on games where they 1: didn't get a Pro patch, and 2: had a variable level of frame rate and/or resolution in the first place. If it got a Pro patch, then you're on a Pro version already, and if it's stable in the base game, it's not going to upres or anything.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stefcha said:

 

Should say CUH-7216B on it, 7200 is just the series in general. RDR2 boxed bundle definitely did have that though, ended up with that one myself just to be sure (fortunately at a time where I could shift RDR2 for a decent amount still!), and while it's not Xbox One X silent it's certainly been pretty quiet for me. 

 

OK thought that was the RDR2 bundle SKU? Anyhow mine has the small power socket on it (same as the launch PS4) not the kettle plug type so from what I have read that denotes the latest revision! (hopefully!!!). Anyhow like i say its not a massive issue think I've just been used to how quiet the X is.

 

Looking forward to starting this on the Pro though... Glad I waited really to have a run through of this on it.... looks like a rock solid 30fps @ 4K. Looks stunning.... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MattyP said:

 

Yep thats the one I have (CU-H 7200). As I say not really fussed its not annoyingly loud or anything.... just surprised as its labelled as "the quiet one!!!".

 

Wasn't really going to move onto a pro this gen but got one for a good price (early birthday pressie to myself) so figured why not... looking forward to playing the new exclusives this year in a bit better def and HDR. The UI definitely feels a little smoother.. but that might be me just trying to find differences! :D 

 

Not sure how effective the boost mode is on games... hopefully see improvements here and there. I was impressed with Resogun though noticed the improvements straight away! Very shiny... 

 

Given how old the base machine is there are moments that still blow me away esp with 4k HDR on the pro, Division 2 has some stunning lighting that stops me in my tracks when playing! I know it would be even better on a PC and maybe even one x but I love my pro!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

Given how old the base machine is there are moments that still blow me away esp with 4k HDR on the pro, Division 2 has some stunning lighting that stops me in my tracks when playing! I know it would be even better on a PC and maybe even one x but I love my pro!

 

 

That is the thing... I actually like the PS4 UI and the experience over anything else. It also has Resogun and probably my fav shooter of all time - Salamander. Silly as it sounds as its old 2D shooter from what 1985-6?!  but the version they have on PS4 is great... just plays as I remember. Even has the slowdown as expected. Hamster have done an amazing job on that. Noticed Terra Cresta is on PSN too (another favourite)... Oh and just started Bloodborne too - so a bit late to the party on that - enjoying that. 

 

DId have the idea of consolidating the consoles down to one a month or so ago but just cannot work out which particular one to keep over the others. :D Not a big issue now decided its good to have choice and not to feel guilty having the three main consoles on the shelf! (first world problems eh?! :rolleyes:)

 

Next gen though jeez really need to get this sorted.. probably a PS5 and the Nintendo machine.... Or might just end up sticking with a PC. Who knows. One thing I do know next time round not rushing out to buy anything at launch!

 

Really hoping Sony make everything BC next time though. Sure they will but....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is everyone getting on with the V2 controller?

 

I actually prefer the release one after playing with the new for a bit! :) Triggers are nicer I guess on the new one... but finding the thumbsticks now a bit slippy :D 

 

Seems Sony can't win sometimes. Never had an issue with the rubber tops falling off my V1 controller.. odd.... 

 

Probably have to invest in some caps for the sticks if it becomes an issue... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

How is everyone getting on with the V2 controller?

 

I actually prefer the release one after playing with the new for a bit! :) Triggers are nicer I guess on the new one... but finding the thumbsticks now a bit slippy :D 

 

Seems Sony can't win sometimes. Never had an issue with the rubber tops falling off my V1 controller.. odd.... 

 

Probably have to invest in some caps for the sticks if it becomes an issue... 

 

I've only ever had a V2, got my PS4 late 2017, but I've never had any problems with the thimbsticks, but probably because I am used to them. I do have caps on my Vita though and they are noticably much more 'grippy'.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:38, Naieve said:

I decided to buy a Pro to enjoy Sekiro at a slightly better framerate (but still 720p, looool), can I just pull the HDD out of my original PS4 and stick it in the pro rather than having to download shit again?

 

Sekiro doesn't run at 720p on the Pro :)  Can't remember exactly the resolution from the DF video, but it is well above 720!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MattyP said:

How is everyone getting on with the V2 controller?

 

I actually prefer the release one after playing with the new for a bit! :) Triggers are nicer I guess on the new one... but finding the thumbsticks now a bit slippy :D 

 

Seems Sony can't win sometimes. Never had an issue with the rubber tops falling off my V1 controller.. odd.... 

 

Probably have to invest in some caps for the sticks if it becomes an issue... 

 

My launch pad broke in about 4 ways so was a pile of crap, another v1 pad I had was fine bar battery life but the v2 pad had been flawless and I haven’t had to change the sticks to xbone ones so that’s good! Other than battery and light bar I didn’t know they were any different tbh

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Naieve said:

I might bang a 2TB drive into the pro since the 1TB HDD on my normal ps4 is always fucking full. Any recommendations?

 

Delete some crap!!! ;) 

 

Always find Seagate ones quite good!

 

I was thinking of bunging a SSD in there at some point however not convinced it will make a huge difference TBH. Will look into it though....

 

Out of interest anyone here put a SSD into their PS4s? Has it made any significant difference? Guess it will be a little bit quieter! Also aren't the standard drives in the PS4 5400RPM units? Any issues with putting a 7200RPM spinner in? 

 

Found this: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-ps4-pro-ssd-upgrade-does-sata-3-make-a-difference_9

 

Not a huge gain on SSD but guessing it will be more reliable with no moving bits etc. You can get a 1TB SSD now for around £100...

 

https://www.cclonline.com/product/266599/MZ-76Q1T0BW/Solid-State-Drives-SSDs-/Samsung-QVO-860-1TB-SATA-6GB/s-Solid-State-Drive-Internal-/SSD0901/

 

Might actually swap the drive out at some point....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

 

Delete some crap!!! ;) 

 

it''s completely mental. Driveclub (on the off chance I want to play it), GTA5 (again), Bloodborne (again) plus some indie games and whatever Triple A pile of shit I'm playing at the moment completly fills it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Naieve said:

 

it''s completely mental. Driveclub (on the off chance I want to play it), GTA5 (again), Bloodborne (again) plus some indie games and whatever Triple A pile of shit I'm playing at the moment completly fills it.

 

I don't mind the limited space, it forces me to focus on games instead of whoring myself across many. Plus with unlimited broadband it's easy to redownload anything.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SeanR said:

or get an external drive...

 

External drives ick... rather just delete some things off...

 

2TB one for £66.50... 

 

https://www.cclonline.com/product/226064/ST2000LM015/Hard-Drives/Seagate-BarraCuda-2TB-2-5-Inch-SATA-Hard-Disk-Drive-Internal-/HDD2859/

 

3TB is around £110.

 

From the looks of the stats it's not really worth putting a SSD into the PS4 either... not much of a time saving especially compared to the difference they make on a PC which is a shame. So I'd probably go for the 3TB (which is the same price as a 1TB SSD). Lots of capacity.

 

Putting a bigger HDD in will speed up the loading times as the seek times are usually better (same size disk but greater density meaning more data can be read in a single pass).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate has an SSD in his PS4 and it loads Division 2 vastly quicker than on my machine, quick travel is a few seconds - I’m very jealous of the speed but not sure I want to spend so much money on one esp as I already have an external drive for games!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

 

I don't mind the limited space, it forces me to focus on games instead of whoring myself across many. Plus with unlimited broadband it's easy to redownload anything.

 

This is what I typically do. If I have more capacity I just load it full of things I never really play. Internet speeds are getting so fast now you may as well just download it again next time you ever want to play something, or just re-install if you have the disk.

 

Cheaper than buying more storage thats for sure :D Just leave it downloading overnight....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

My mate has an SSD in his PS4 and it loads Division 2 vastly quicker than on my machine, quick travel is a few seconds - I’m very jealous of the speed but not sure I want to spend so much money on one esp as I already have an external drive for games!

 

Thats the thing isn't it. Quite an investment really for a few seconds here and there. Makes a huge difference on the PC because everything benefits hugely from it.

 

Not sure why the loading speed on PS4 is so patchy with different games. Guess its how they are coded to read from the disk?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.