rllmuk
mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

So I got my PS4 Friday. I also have all the Uncharted games (Including Lost Legacy) God of War, and Until Dawn for my wife. She went through her first play through of that last night. Thats a fun game.

Currently playing through Uncharted 4 and loving it. Reminded me why I really like this series and looking forward to going through it again on the Drak collection.

One question though. On PS4 is it possible to place favourite apps on the home screen like on XBOX with it's pins? Don't like Netflix and Youtube being kinda hidden away udner TV sections

11 minutes ago, Lothar Hex said:

So I got my PS4 Friday. I also have all the Uncharted games (Including Lost Legacy) God of War, and Until Dawn for my wife. She went through her first play through of that last night. Thats a fun game.

Currently playing through Uncharted 4 and loving it. Reminded me why I really like this series and looking forward to going through it again on the Drak collection.

One question though. On PS4 is it possible to place favourite apps on the home screen like on XBOX with it's pins? Don't like Netflix and Youtube being kinda hidden away udner TV sections

You can put all your favourites in a folder.

21 hours ago, davidcotton said:

What's the going rate for a ps4 these day's?  Got a gaming pc but fancy a console.

21 hours ago, Stanley said:

250 notes, 350 for a Pro.

There have been a lot of good Black Friday deals the past couple of years where you could get a base console and usually a bundled game for £200 if you can wait that long.

Yeah if you're not desperate waiting a month should at least bag you a decent free game if nothing else.

That's my plan, and I'll have accrued about £180 of Amazon credit to put towards one too by then. And I need it, because my hand-me-down PS4 is now dead as a doorknob, can't get it to boot in any meaningful way at all.

With that in mind, I've got two profiles with that PS4 set as the home console, how do I disassociate those? Will just setting them up with the new one as the home console for both profiles work? And what's the best way of wiping the hard drive, I might try flog that but I don't want all my stuff to remain on it - usually I'd just pop it out and wipe and format with a PC sata adaptor but do I need to reset it to any particular format or anything?

26 minutes ago, stefcha said:

That's my plan, and I'll have accrued about £180 of Amazon credit to put towards one too by then. And I need it, because my hand-me-down PS4 is now dead as a doorknob, can't get it to boot in any meaningful way at all.

With that in mind, I've got two profiles with that PS4 set as the home console, how do I disassociate those? Will just setting them up with the new one as the home console for both profiles work? And what's the best way of wiping the hard drive, I might try flog that but I don't want all my stuff to remain on it - usually I'd just pop it out and wipe and format with a PC sata adaptor but do I need to reset it to any particular format or anything?

You can log into the PlayStation website and disassociate ALL consoles linked to that account in one go.  I think you can only do that a limited number of times per year. 

• Upvote 1

Hi. I’m new to PlayStation. Just got a PS4 Pro.

i have a main account - mine  - which has a PS Plus account. This is set as the primary account.

My 2 kids both have normal loca accounts. Ie non PS Plus.

They can from their accounts see the games I have downloaded and paid for.

But when they try games like Steep/Destiny 2, it asks them to login into PSN. 

Everything I have read says it should work by using my PS Plus account bit using their local accounts.

Any help, advice appreciated.

ta

2 hours ago, paulie12 said:

Hi. I’m new to PlayStation. Just got a PS4 Pro.

i have a main account - mine  - which has a PS Plus account. This is set as the primary account.

My 2 kids both have normal loca accounts. Ie non PS Plus.

They can from their accounts see the games I have downloaded and paid for.

But when they try games like Steep/Destiny 2, it asks them to login into PSN. 

Everything I have read says it should work by using my PS Plus account bit using their local accounts.

Any help, advice appreciated.

ta

They can only play on your primary console, you can play on any console.

My son plays on my primary console so he gets PSN & I play on a second console but because I log on as me on this console I also get PSN.

Thanks. 

This is on my primary console.

If we start Steep using my account then it all works fine.

If we start Steep using one of the kids it asks us to login to PSN account or set one up.  And you can’t play the game. 

Does the same on Destiny 2. 

Sounds like he's only got one console, with three accounts on it of which his has PS+ but the other two don't. That's what he's saying isn't working, the other accounts get asked to log in to PSN rather than just being able to use PS+.

In unrelated news, gave my PS4 one final try before chucking it and it came back on properly! Played Bloodborne for a bit, the lack of shield/block and not knowing what to do about it meant some massive axe guy leapt and trounced me and I died.

2 minutes ago, paulie12 said:

Thanks. 

This is on my primary console.

If we start Steep using my account then it all works fine.

If we start Steep using one of the kids it asks us to login to PSN account or set one up.  And you can’t play the game. 

Does the same on Destiny 2. 

I don't know how you set up the profiles, but it sounds like you need to create or tie them to a full PSN account, assuming you haven't. Doesn't mean they have to buy PS+, just that they have a proper PSN account. How did you create their profiles? I thought you had to log in to PSN as part of adding a new user.

That’s exactly right. One console 3 accounts.

I just created them by clicking “new user”.

it gives you the option of creating a new PlayStation Network account or using an existing one.

if I choose existing (mine) it fails as there is already a user on this console with that account.

If I create a new PSN account I need an email address and password for each of them which is what I don’t want to do.

So I just skipped that part.

Is that what I am missing? Do I still need a PSNetwork account for each of them for online, but I don’t need to have the PS Plus aspect.  Bit annoying if I do as means I need email accounts for them as well.

cheers

42 minutes ago, paulie12 said:

That’s exactly right. One console 3 accounts. I just created them by clicking “new user”.

it gives you the option of creating a new PlayStation Network account or using an existing one.

if I choose existing (mine) it fails as there is already a user on this console with that account.

If I create a new PSN account I need an email address and password for each of them which is what I don’t want to do.

So I just skipped that part.

Is that what I am missing? Do I still need a PSNetwork account for each of them for online, but I don’t need to have the PS Plus aspect.  Bit annoying if I do as means I need email accounts for them as well.

I presume it does need a PSN account for them then, given its telling you to sign them in to PSN. Makes sense in a way, given they're going to be using the PSN infrastructure even if piggybacking off your account.

Just set up a couple of throwaway Gmail accounts, couple of minutes effort. Or, if you already happen to be using Gmail, you could use the + function. Like youremail+kid1@gmail.com and so on.

My PS4 has started doing a strange thing, whereby it will randomly turn itself off and on. It seems very sporadic, but I've frequently come home from work to find that it turned completely off (rather than on standby) and that it has to check the file system when I turn it on, which suggests that its switched itself on and off again in my absence. And last night, it turned itself off midway through a round of Gambit on Destiny 2, which is obviously a massive ballache.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Looking online, people suggest taking it apart and cleaning out any dust, which makes sense if it's shutting itself down due to overheat, but doesn't explain why it's turning itself on.

The one I've got does that and it's clean as a whistle inside, the general diagnosis is that it's somehow completely fucked, some motherboard or connection fault. Still, it's easy to get open to give it a clearout if yours is dusty (my 4 1/2 year old daughter did it the other day), but you will need a size 8 Torx screwdriver.

Cheers! Shame if it's buggered, but given that it's a launch model and that it's been in pretty regular use, that's not bad going. Might give it a clean anyway if it's that easy.

3 hours ago, K said:

Cheers! Shame if it's buggered, but given that it's a launch model and that it's been in pretty regular use, that's not bad going. Might give it a clean anyway if it's that easy.

I think you only need remove 3 or 4 screws to get to the fan area, actually here's a video 

Can't recommend going beyond that to get to the CPU/GPU as it involves removing a couple of ribbon cables to the blu-ray drive and other bits that are fairly fragile. Last resort stuff really. 

Strange issue with my PS4 last night

I removed my PSVR stuff (to sell it) and reconnected everything to the TV. The PS4 then would just flick between static, a fuzzy version of the menu, and darkness, over and over.

I switched hdmi ports and it only fixed it temporarily before it started happening again.

Through googling there are a million answers, none of which are agreed by all. But I've done two things that seem to be working at the moment:

1) switched hdmi cable

2) rebuilt the database in safe mode

Anyone had an issue like mine? Is my fix going to last or is something fundamentally broken?

Right. Got a problem.  I have the disc version of bloodborn that also has the old hunters dlc on it. Played about 3 or 4 hours i’d say but not very far I to the game.  

Sony gave away the base version on ps+ so I thought i’d Use that instead and have the convenience of a digital game.  Go to load it up today and it won’t let me load my save saying I need to buy the old hunters dlc before I can use my save.  What the fuck!  As far as I can tell I have not got far enough in to play any of that dlc so my save state shouldn’t care. 

Even if it treats the the two versions of the game as different then I don’t see why it says my save is magically going to work as soon as I pay for some dlc (which i’m Not likely to use tbh). 

So. What are my options. I’d really rather not lose the save but I guess i’ll have to. Any other ideas?

i swear it shouldn’t be this fucking difficult. Had to redownload the game again too becuase Sony seem to treat them as different games (but you can use the same save...sometimes).  

45 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

As far as I can tell I have not got far enough in to play any of that dlc so my save state shouldn’t care. 

I can't offer much help, but the DLC has an extra item in one of the first areas where you get your initial weapon and firearm (and I'd understand you not knowing this when picking stuff up!), so the base game might see that when it checks the save and say nope (also BB does invisible autosaving all the damn time, which doesn't help.)

Sorry it's not much help but it's a possible explanation for the conflict.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I can't offer much help, but the DLC has an extra item in one of the first areas where you get your initial weapon and firearm (and I'd understand you not knowing this when picking stuff up!), so the base game might see that when it checks the save and say nope (also BB does invisible autosaving all the damn time, which doesn't help.)

Sorry it's not much help but it's a possible explanation for the conflict.

ok thanks.  Sigh.  Time to decide if a few hours lost is better than having to swap discs about and re-install again. 

I'll probably go with starting again I think.  I'm generally not one to play the DLC for a game.  Main game fun is had and then onto the next great game. 

Unless someone is now going to tell me that the Old Hunters stuff is actually incredible and waaaaaaaay better than the main game?

Yeah, I'm not generally one for DLC either but Bloodborne's is absolutely amazing. Even better, somehow, than the main game. @rafaqat can you not just reinstall it all from disc and play that way?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Yeah, I'm not generally one for DLC either but Bloodborne's is absolutely amazing. Even better, somehow, than the main game. @rafaqat can you not just reinstall it all from disc and play that way?

I hate you.

Yes I can re-install the disc version but that means disc changing whenever I want to play it and I tend to switch from the bedroom to the living room when playing fairly regularly hence the happiness when it became available on PS+ and the retiring of the disc to the game shelf. 

Don't know if it's a universal thing, but in my experience disc installs and Store licences aren't compatible. So I doubt it'll work.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Super Craig said:

Don't know if it's a universal thing, but in my experience disc installs and Store licences aren't compatible. So I doubt it'll work.

Yup.  I've known that Sony treat them that way so I already expected to have to uninstall one version and reinstall the identical digital version. Kind expected the save to work which it has done for the Horizon Zero Dawn swap an the Wipeout swap.  A lot of unnecessary re-downloading. Hopefully they'll change that next gen but I'm not holding my breath, 

So today I had impulse buy moment and decided they key to obtain absolute happiness to buy a Playstation 4 Pro. :P

To be honest, since I got the 4K monitor 1080p games look ugly on it.

Im not obsessed with graphic quality but I cant stand bad scaling jaggies.

Anyway I went home empty handed.No stock at local Currys or Argos! How come?

Maybe there is a new revision with quieter fans?

On 07/10/2018 at 20:56, Mr Do 71 said:

Xbox does this automatically. 8-)

Yes and it's great.  It does't even need to download anything again. Just the licence. Seamless, how it should be.

15 hours ago, Super Craig said:

That'll be why I ended up with two Gears of War and Halo installs then.

That's a bugger. I've not had that. I was going to ask is they were same region but that doesn't make a difference usually on Xbox.