mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I don't mind the limited space, it forces me to focus on games instead of whoring myself across many. Plus with unlimited broadband it's easy to redownload anything.

This is what I typically do. If I have more capacity I just load it full of things I never really play. Internet speeds are getting so fast now you may as well just download it again next time you ever want to play something, or just re-install if you have the disk.

Cheaper than buying more storage thats for sure :D Just leave it downloading overnight....

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

My mate has an SSD in his PS4 and it loads Division 2 vastly quicker than on my machine, quick travel is a few seconds - I’m very jealous of the speed but not sure I want to spend so much money on one esp as I already have an external drive for games!

Thats the thing isn't it. Quite an investment really for a few seconds here and there. Makes a huge difference on the PC because everything benefits hugely from it.

Not sure why the loading speed on PS4 is so patchy with different games. Guess its how they are coded to read from the disk?!

21 minutes ago, SeanR said:

ok, but an external drive is easier to move between PS4s... :coffee:

Aha so it doesn't lock the external drive to a console? Guess they only need to do that with the internal drive as it has the OS stuff on there too.... Makes sense.

Although still don't like having bits hanging off the back of the console!

Anyway personally just going to keep deleting stuff... really 1TB should be enough for most... Surely?!... :D  Don't want to end up being a digital hoarder... just starting to sort out my physical game hording out.... not going down the same path with digital!!!!

That reminds me need to get the 1TB drive off my X and erase it... just keep the games I want to play on my internal drive.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't really care to argue about it, someone asked for a recommendation for an internal drive and I've provided the one I use.

quite

I prised the 2TB M9T out of one of these, back in the day, on account of it's height

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-PlayStation-STEA2000400/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=seagate+2tb&qid=1555337624&s=computers&sr=1-2

and stuck it in my old PS4. 

When my pro came with 1TB, and the insurance was paying anyway, I got two of the 4TB ext models, one each for the pro and the boneX

is height still an issue with the internal drive on a PS4 pro?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

quite

I prised the 2TB M9T out of one of these, back in the day, on account of it's height

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-PlayStation-STEA2000400/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=seagate+2tb&qid=1555337624&s=computers&sr=1-2

and stuck it in my old PS4. 

When my pro came with 1TB, and the insurance was paying anyway, I got two of the 4TB ext models, one each for the pro and the boneX

is height still an issue with the internal drive on a PS4 pro?

Its actually sometimes cheaper to buy those and rip the disk out of them at times. Never understood why they are actually cheaper than bare bones drives.. odd.. .probably volume discounts.

On 10/04/2019 at 16:23, Mr Do 71 said:

After the testing period, it turns out that at least one game released after April last year is also experiencing issues, meaning that Sony cannot guarantee that your PSN Online ID change will not cause problems with later releases.

Suprised to see OnRush on there. 

Would love to change my psn id but will wait and see how it goes. Surely Sony can mandate that testing/certification of the games going forward have to take into account an ID change!

I did mine yesterday. It's free to change it back at any time if you have problems, since Sony keep the original name in reserve for you.

They don't guarantee no problems if you switch back, but if you do want to change it it's pretty easy.

I’ve had a 1tb SSD in my PS4 (and later my Pro) since launch in 2013 and have never even thought about it as I rarely even notice loading, but when I use another PS4.... boy do I notice the difference. Pretty much always the first to load in on online games and I notice that a lot of the complaints in threads on open world game issues just aren’t there for me, nor with dashboard slowdown etc. As an example of the speed increase, GTA V takes 50 seconds from dashboard to being able to control characters in game on an old SSD that has been heavily used for over five years. However I do abuse my PS4 constantly like a little slut almost everyday so your mileage may vary.

For me it was worth the extortionate (then) cost.

• Downvote 2

I've been looking into SSD drives on PS4.

Looks like if you have a base PS4 they have SATA 2 interfaces so the improvement is marginal (SATA 2 is lower bandwidth interface than 3), pros (possibly the new PS4 slims?) have a SATA 3 interface which has the bandwidth improvement so that SSDs can take advantage of that. Guessing the speed improvements will vary from game to game though and how it accesses the HDD.

Also not sure if the PS4 does this but PC SSD drivers have algorithms that evenly wear the disks so you get the longest life span out of them however with modern SSDs guess this won't be so much of an issue. They have more write cycles and are more reliable that HDDs anyway.

So guess you'll have a quieter and faster, slightly cooler more reliable PS4 by going SSD route but not sure it's worth the extra expense unless you are really impatient!!!!

I play online with a group of friends, most of whom have PS4 Pros. I definitely notice that my hybrid drive tends to load in faster than the guys with the stock drive, and that when one of us had an SSD for a bit, he was faster again. It's not life-changing, but it does speed things up. I imagine you get the odd bit of improvement in open world games on texture streaming and such.

• Upvote 2

Is external HDD support for games on a PS4 the result of an update of some kind? I'm sure when I looked previously, it wasn't an option, but probably just my terrible faulty memory.

Just now, Camel said:

Is external HDD support for games on a PS4 the result of an update of some kind? I'm sure when I looked previously, it wasn't an option, but probably just my terrible faulty memory.

Yeah it came in about a year or so ago.

• Upvote 1

Some information about Sony's next console from Wired via an interview with Mark Cerny. No date (except it won't be out in 2019), or prices etc.

Some stats about the new console:

- CPU: 8 core AMD Ryzen based on 7nm Zen 2

- GPU: Radeon Navi based

- Has raytracing

- Supports 8K resolution

- Will be backward compatible with the PS4 

- Does support physical media

- Has a SSD

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

- Will be backward compatible with the PS4 

- Does support physical media

Good to hear.

Anyone use the communities thing on the PS4... I'm part of the Rllmuk one think I joined ages ago... not very active though... what are peoples thoughts on it?  Thinking of setting up some events on there for Dangerous Driving fans when the online modes get patched in! :) 

• Upvote 1

We just have a few group chats that we add peeps from the forum for certain games if they play often.

We also had someone change thier name and we dont know who it is:lol:

Show yourself.....Gammon_Slayer:sherlock::sherlock::sherlock:

Screenshot_20190417-215643_PS Messages.jpg

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MattyP said:

Anyone use the communities thing on the PS4... I'm part of the Rllmuk one think I joined ages ago... not very active though... what are peoples thoughts on it?  Thinking of setting up some events on there for Dangerous Driving fans when the online modes get patched in! :) 

Good idea for when the MP is out. I'm on there but don't use it much as I don't tend to play online too much, but would be good for Dangerous Driving

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

We just have a few group chats that we add peeps from the forum for certain games if they play often.

We also had someone change thier name and we dont know who it is:lol:

Show yourself.....Gammon_Slayer:sherlock::sherlock::sherlock:

Screenshot_20190417-215643_PS Messages.jpg

This is CLASSIC Gammon_Slayer behaviour.

• Upvote 1

On 15/04/2019 at 15:58, rafaqat said:

Suprised to see OnRush on there. 

Would love to change my psn id but will wait and see how it goes. Surely Sony can mandate that testing/certification of the games going forward have to take into account an ID change!

They did, games released since April 2018 have to take into account an ID change because the development tools used to code PS4 games were updated to do this before then.  That one game was a weird anomaly, and therefore Sony aren't guaranteeing that the development tool update will ensure that the game will take into account an ID change.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

They did, games released since April 2018 have to take into account an ID change because the development tools used to code PS4 games were updated to do this before then.  That one game was a weird anomaly, and therefore Sony aren't guaranteeing that the development tool update will ensure that the game will take into account an ID change.

Ok.  Probably me misreading then as I assumed it meant they couldn't guarantee 100% functionality for future games since this one slipped through and it could happen again.