IGNORED

The Wind Waker remake for WiiU - not just HD

Smitty

They should have just added the missing content, they apologized about it enough after and now they're just reselling it with fuck-all extras!

I know they re-used the missing dungeon in another Zelda - but why can't they just make one dungeon from scratch? Or not even that there's probably tons of rejected designs that could be done.

Nintendon't. :hmm:

They should have just added the missing content, they apologized about it enough after and now they're just reselling it with fuck-all extras!

I know they re-used the missing dungeon in another Zelda - but why can't they just make one dungeon from scratch? Or not even that there's probably tons of rejected designs that could be done.

Yup. That was one major disappointment.

Question: will the lim.ed. with Ganondorf be available on amazon, or is it really a Game exclusive?

Didn't they say that most of the ideas for the missing dungeons from WW ended up being used in Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword though?

Ah! Well, I don't think I'd want to play a dungeon lifted off the reject pile just for the sake of including something.

I don't know. People should really be aware of what they're getting at this point - there's no deception involved, it just is what it is. I can't think of any other HD remakes released over the past few years that went as far as adding new content (here's where someone points one out to me), and from all the comparison videos out there now this seems to have been a project of care and attention that just happens to have been priced a bit too cynically.

It's more than just a simple upres with a few making-of extras and concept art etc. that you get in most HD refits. It's a proper visual overhaul with a clutch of (admittedly fairly minor) tweaks to how it plays and controls. I do think it's priced a little too high - something between budget and full-price and I doubt many would be complaining - but I think a lot of those complaints will melt away when people actually get their hands on it and see it in motion on their own tellies.

It's more than just a simple upres with a few making-of extras and concept art etc. that you get in most HD refits. It's a proper visual overhaul with a clutch of (admittedly fairly minor) tweaks to how it plays and controls. I do think it's priced a little too high - something between budget and full-price and I doubt many would be complaining - but I think a lot of those complaints will melt away when people actually get their hands on it and see it in motion on their own tellies.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but it should be 30 quid tops.

It's more than just a simple upres with a few making-of extras and concept art etc. that you get in most HD refits. It's a proper visual overhaul with a clutch of (admittedly fairly minor) tweaks to how it plays and controls. I do think it's priced a little too high - something between budget and full-price and I doubt many would be complaining - but I think a lot of those complaints will melt away when people actually get their hands on it and see it

Agreed. But it could have had a much wider appeal had it included a new dungeon or two. And surely that's what the wiiu needs right now?

I think some people seem to only remember the things they didn't like about Wind Waker rather than those that they did. Yes - there's two dungeons missing... but the stuff that isn't missing is excellent! Wonderfully inventive combat that lets you mess around and play with enemies. Atmospheric. Dark when it needs to be. A brilliant twist half way through and absolutely the BEST Ganondorf kill scene ever. I'm as eager to replay it as I was to replay OoT on the 3DS.

I still have no idea how a remake of a game that wasn't the most successful entry of the series on a console that wasn't very successful in its generation is supposed to save the Wii U.

We all know you'll never get past the rescue of your sister at the castle....

Agreed. But it could have had a much wider appeal had it included a new dungeon or two. And surely that's what the wiiu needs right now?

I don't think it would have had much wider appeal. Maybe a few more people would be willing to pay full price for some extra content of that nature rather than the new stuff we've got like the Swift Sail, the Miiverse stuff and so on, but I imagine that audience is fairly small.

Essentially, this is a stopgap, an apology for Nintendo not having a proper new Zelda ready for a wee while. It is what it is: a very decent remake of a great game with a few minor extras that could maybe stand to be a little cheaper, even if it's every bit as good as a lot of full-price games it'll be sitting next to on the shelves this winter.

In the sense that it's had a noticeable lick of paint and a few bits added, it's kind of like the original remastered Star Wars special editions before old George started tinkering with a load of stuff that really didn't need changing.

Well, no one's making you buy it. This is basically to sate the appetites of Zelda fans who can't wait for a new one and will happily pay full whack for a remake of an older game (and yeah, okay, maybe to fill a bit of a release gap). I'd have much sterner criticisms had this simply been the Dolphin version shat out with no effort whatsoever, but it's been treated with care and respect, and in the tweaks Nintendo has made it improves on the original. Whether that's worth the price - which, again, I do think is too high for what is at heart a decade-old game - is down to the buyer.

I do find the price thing interesting - as it wasn't even an issue when OoT 3D came out and arguably other than new graphics and 3D, there were no changes to the game.... ok, it happened to be The Greatest Game Ever Made... but still.

I wish other people would make good Zelda like games... they're too few and far between. :(

3DS games are cheaper than Wii U games and it was the first time OOT had been available to buy on a portable console. Plus it came at a time when people kept their 3D slider up, so that element felt valuable at the time. The novelty factor was pretty high, more so than for this.