rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
revlob

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Out Now! Info in first post.

I picked this up again after a long hiatus just the other day. I thought perhaps having left the game so close to the end, yet with so much of the optional content still left to do, that I'd either proceed straight into the final chapter so that I could put it to bed, or I'd abandon the game completely, having been overwhelmed by its mountain of tasks. Yet, I quickly found myself back in the swing of things, working on the affinity of my least-favourite team members, and chipping away at the mission board. I've started to notice duplicate missions, so I must be getting close to exhausting the basic missions.

Still only level 56! I've got a level 60 Skell just waiting for me, and I just can't finish with the game until I've kitted it out with a superweapon or two.

I couldn't even work out how to get the higher level skells despite having a few L60 characters so I just stuck at the L50 ones with the mental weaponry you can get from Sylvalum. 

Level is one of the stupid things in the game, some incredibly high level stuff you can absolutely murder while being many many levels lower, some will have you legging it and just hoping to god they don't knacker your skell before you can eject out of it (if you're going to die, die out of your skell because the insurance mechanism is, unsurprisingly, stupid). If you can work out the overdrive system to some arcane level you can kill literally anything but I never really sussed it.

To level, while on foot just kill stuff a bit higher level than you, should be able to find something you find easy to kill. Do the red question mark missions, more of which will appear after each chapter and after completing previous ones so scour the entire base each time. In fact, only do those the rest on the quest board (some red ones start off on there as well) aren't worth picking up to hunt down unless you fancy the occasional hunt, certainly the "collect x" quests you may as well only complete when you've already collected stuff, just pick them up when you can see you've already met the requirement to instantly complete them and hop in and out of the quest list a few times to cycle through all available. Equip things with exp boosts and slot in exp boosts as well - they all stack and are more useful than about 95% of other stat boosts.

Seeing all the FFXV chat put me in the mood for a big JRPG and I realised I had stopped playing this months ago... mainly because it needs lots of dedicated time and the WiiU was in the wrong room to do this.  The game doesn't suit gamepad play as the text is almost unreadably slow.

So, yesterday I moved the WiiU to another room and played it for about 5 hours!  Wonderful stuff to wander about in.  Some amazing world building.

I seem to have managed to suss out combat and stuff again - but couple of things allude me.

My character seems to have fashion armour on... she's running about in heels, which, while quite nice to look at - I'd rather see the proper armour that's being worn.

I've no idea how to actually get more powerful weapons.  I see weapons available, I have the cash to buy them, and their level is lower than my characters level - but they are still red in the list.

Where can I get more probes?

You've got two sets of armour, one which supplies your stats, and the "Fashion" set which overrides the look of whatever you have equipped in the normal set. If you want to see your regular armour you'll have to unequip the items in your fashion set.

I very rarely bought weapons, especially at lower levels. The rate at which you level up means you very quickly outclass the stuff you find in shops, and random drops are usually better.

There are a few quests which reward probes, but I think you'll find most of them from "chests" (the yellow-square points on the map which require one of your BLADE skills to open).

• Upvote 1

A timely and coincidental bump as, having finished FFXV and currently enjoying the post-game stuff despite the fact the story failed for me, has put me in mind to re-evaluate XCX and go back to it.

There were a lot of level 50+ beasties I never made extinct.

I've got back into this too with my six year old son. It's a cracking game (I'm only on chapter 6..) but it really feels like they've thrown too much content into it. It can be incredibly confusing at times, especially compared with the first game.

But it's quite engrossing and you can literally waste hours going around battling beasties and marvelling at the landscape.

• Upvote 1

I've been thinking about giving this another chance too. I had to put a lot of time into FFXV in order to understand the battle system, so maybe I should do the same with this. It's still pap compared to the first game though.

The combat doesn't seem too different from XC to me.  I like the soul shout stuff as well which can lead to massive damage. I have managed to get an overdrive yet though even though I've got max morale....

You can't do overdrives until the story allows you I don't think, and even then you need to be some sort of autistic savant to be able to work out how to make any sort of effective use of it. The combat has been needlessly overcomplicated compared to the prior game, it's similar but definitely not better. It kind of lost the flow.

• Upvote 1

Ah... cool.

another question, is there a way to cycle through available targets before or during combat.

just got to the end of chapter 4... back in love with it. I'm not a completionist... I just want to fly a Skel!

Is there any chance this game will see life on another platform? I really cannot do with having another console in my life, but this has always been a game I've wanted to play!

9 hours ago, scottcr said:

another question, is there a way to cycle through available targets before or during combat.

R1 + Y or A (only works for enemies, not appendages annoyingly), and if you want to lock on you click the R stick I think.

Skells are so so, they're more fun before you get to fly (which is a later chapter unlock, of course!) after which the thrill and challenge of exploration is diminished because suddenly you can just go literally anywhere without having to think about planning how to do it which was one of the great things about the game prior to then.

Ah.. must've been the only combo I didn't try.  It's a shame you can't cycle through appendages.

Also, when targetting an enemy - what does the L button do?  It puts a big red arrow above the bast.

Played this for a while again last night and pretty much at the end of chapter 4.  What an amazing world to explore and I do find the combat really good fun to play about with.  The cut-scenes almost entirely fall flat, which is a shame, as the opening cut-scene is so amazing looking.  It's also a bit odd - since some of the cut-scenes in Xenoblade Chronicles, which were also all in-engine, were brilliant (dat music!)

I believe the guys who did that have been working with EAD on Breath of the Wild - Monolith world building with Zelda gameplay.  OOOOFT.

Yeah, most cut scenes don't really work. It might be down to a mixture of poor cinematics (most scenes you can move the camera around) and the sound mix meaning the spoken audio is too low. ("I can't see you, I can't hear you" blaring in the background!!!)

Started this a few days ago... and I am dying all the time, and I don't even know why? I'm not attacking high level enemies. Usually, it's one enemy at once. I seem to get one-hit-killed a lot. I'm only on chapter 3, so not very far in, but it's very frustrating, as I can't even see who's killing me. Am I just being incredibly stupid?

I completed the original, but this seems to be so much more confusing?