rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
roskelld

Elder Scrolls Online

THat looks pretty good actually - it's clear they've taken cues from other big mmos as to what players want these days so hopefully it'll turn out well. The Elder Scrolls world is rich with content and lore so there should be no shortage of stuff to do. I also liked the style they've gone for - not quite realistic, not quite stylised. I tend to find the stylised MMOs retain their beauty longer, particularly if they have good art direction, whereas realistic ones tend to show their age sooner. The world they've shown in that gameplay vid looks really nice with a lot of variation shown although it's clear it's still early days as the animation was lacking in some areas. Yes, it's high fantasy AGAIN but clearly there is a market for the genre. A strong sense of style is extremely important to mmos to stop them falling into generic fantasy 101 (GW2 was quite guilty of that, really).

Hopefully not *too* much of the dev commentary on the vid is hyperbole as they had some nice ideas but we've seen numerous times before that what devs want for their mmo and what they actually end up with are very different beasts...

The way I see it, no mmo will ever be a wow killer (unless Blizzard themselves launch it, and even then you never know) as they're too far ahead, too entrenched and, let's be honest, a bit of an anomoly in the mmo space that has yet to be repeated and the sooner devs and publishers realise that, the sooner we'll get top quality releases that branch out and try to do their own thing instead of trying to be wow 2.0.

Cautiously optimistic over this after that gameplay vid - it looks like it could be fun. If they launch with a decent subscription model (i.e. buy once play for free a la GW2) they could really bring in a strong audience from the get go, whether that be mmo vets, newcomers previously put off by subs or fans of the Elder Scrolls series. As long as they don't spread themselves too thin by trying to be all things to all people, they could certainly bring a welcome addition to the genre.

• Upvote 1

Signed up. Its actually the only mmo I have any interest in atm, so I really hope it delivers. After both SWTOR and GW2 I am cautiously optimistic, but what they showed looks promising. Fingers crossed!

I didnt really like the look of this before but watching the more recent videos it actually looks like it may finally be a fantasy mmo i might enjoy. Signed up for the Beta, so fingers crossed.

I have an "Above Average" chance of getting chosen. Yay!

I'm not really into MMOs; I hate interacting with people in games and prefer to do things by myself. However, the Elder Scrolls series is my favourite and I'd bite off my mother's hand to get a chance to beta test this.

I'm in the beta stress test this weekend. Under nda so won't be able to say much but, after being quite enthusiastic about this when I watched the newest vids last week, I've lost all enthusiasm after discovering you can't group cross faction - and with each of the 3 factions only having 3 races...I'm going nord, no two ways about it, but that means others I group with need to be nord, dark elves or lizard dudes. I get that the game is about the factions at war, but splitting the player base in such a way is a very...interesting move.

Same here. I wish I'd gotten in the Wildstar beta more than this at the moment though, gone off this since my initial enthusiasm.

Nah, you don't.

Ah damn. Well I'd certainly like to get my hands on the game, but no beta invite :(

Will give this a go, but the factions thing is a bit crap, and I have heard that you cant go to the other factions areas which, if true, will limit exploration a lot which is the best part of an ES game.

I hope you play this longer than you did the Wildstar beta Sharky! Not that I can say you played it for less than 10 mins, and Rikku less than a minute, because that'd be a break of NDA.

So I won't say it.

I would have played for longer if I could have, but being stress test, it was hardly the most stable thing.

You can explore other faction areas once you reach cap and complete your faction's storyline.

I'm in the beta stress test this weekend. Under nda so won't be able to say much but, after being quite enthusiastic about this when I watched the newest vids last week, I've lost all enthusiasm after discovering you can't group cross faction - and with each of the 3 factions only having 3 races...I'm going nord, no two ways about it, but that means others I group with need to be nord, dark elves or lizard dudes. I get that the game is about the factions at war, but splitting the player base in such a way is a very...interesting move.

I'm downloading the client now too, will go dark elf (healer likely).

I've just remembered my laptop is being collected tomorrow for repair this week, so I won't actually get to take part this weekend. :(

I hope you play this longer than you did the Wildstar beta Sharky! Not that I can say you played it for less than 10 mins, and Rikku less than a minute, because that'd be a break of NDA.

So I won't say it.

Tut. I gave it at least 30,then uninstalled.

Anyway, I too got an invite for this! I hope to see you guys online. :)

If you mean seconds, then that sounds about right Tuts ;)

I also got an invite but I'm really on the fence about it. Some of the videos I've seen look shonky in the extreme but then the lure of making an Orc and smashing a big axe into Dr Sharks stupid, bearded Nord face is quite tempting.....

• Upvote 2

:lol: Gone in 30 seconds.

Stop being a fencey cat and download the client, then you have the option rather than havering on Friday, seeing us all play and being all ":(" At least learn how to swing your big orc axe so that you can get Sharky next time.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've been going at 4.5mb/sec ish without any trouble. I couldn't work out if it was p2p or not though, but perhaps there's a setting to change it?

I seem to keep going in circles with ESO. I wasn't particularly excited when it was announced but since they announced the release date I've actually been getting quite excited, most likely because I know a few people that plan on picking it up which hasn't been the case with recent MMOs. I got into the beta weekend and my excitement grew - until I realized it still has classes (and only 5 of them so far). All this talk of "anyone can join the mages guild to unlock a magic tree, or the warriors guild, or become a vampire" and it turns out that a huge chunk of the game is still stuck behind the initial choice you made. Ridiculous.