Sign in to follow this  
SMD

Changing Xbox Live region finally implemented

Woohoo!

https://live.xbox.co...ccountMigration

Conditions that prevent you from changing your region

You won’t be able to change your region if any of the following conditions apply:

• You changed regions within the last three months.
  • Your account is currently suspended (for example, if the credit card on one of your subscriptions has expired).
  • You have an Xbox 360 Entertainment For All contract.
  • You are a minor (as defined by applicable law) in your current region and will not be a minor in the region that you want to change to.
  • You are currently not a minor (as defined by applicable law) in your current region and will become a minor in the region that you want to change to.

05]

You can change from one region to another without changing your gamerscore, achievements, friends, Microsoft Points balance, or other parts of your Xbox profile.

Content you’ve already bought

05]

Before you move your account, make sure that you’ve downloaded any avatar items, games, game add-ons, and video content that you’ve bought. No digital content is guaranteed to work after the migration, and there are no refunds if items stop working because you change your account region.

Content you’ve bought may continue to work on any Xbox 360 device if the content has a valid license. If that content gets deleted or you change consoles, you may be able to re-download the content and re-acquire a license for it in the new region, but some content (mostly video content) is only permissible in certain countries. This content may be blocked in your new region because of licensing or regional restrictions.

TV and other services

05]

Some services you use now might not be available in your new region. To get information about services, such as TV providers, that are available in a specific region, visit the Xbox.com website for that region.

Here’s how to find the website for a specific region:

• At the bottom of any Xbox.com page, click the name of your current region in the lower-left corner.
  • On the Set Your Default Country or Region page, click the region that interests you. You’ll be taken to the Xbox website for that region.

Xbox LIVE Gold Membership

05]

Any time left on your Xbox LIVE Gold Membership will be moved with your account to the new region.

If Xbox LIVE Gold Memberships aren’t available in your new region, your current Xbox LIVE Gold subscription will remain active but might not work anymore.

Cancel the membership at your My account page to stop recurring billing for the membership if you find that it can’t be used in your new region.

If you can use it in your new region, go to your My account page and update your subscription with a payment option that works in your new region. If you don’t make this update, your Xbox LIVE Gold Membership will be canceled after you’ve used up your remaining paid time.

If you have trouble canceling your subscription online, contact Xbox Support.

Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack membership

05]

Although your existing Xbox LIVE Gold membership will work in the new region as long as it’s supported there (see the previous section, “Xbox LIVE Gold Membership,” for more information), the associated Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack memberships will remain active but might not work like they should.

Even if these memberships stop working, if you have recurring billing, you’ll continue to be charged for your Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack memberships until you cancel at your My account page.

If Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack memberships are available in your new region, you can start a new membership once you’ve changed regions.

Xbox Music Pass and Zune Music Pass subscriptions

05]

Xbox Music Pass and Zune Music Pass subscriptions are immediately automatically canceled when you move your account to a different region. You won’t be able to listen to music you’ve downloaded, stream music, or use any other features of these subscriptions.

You can re-subscribe to these services in the new region (if those subscriptions are available there).

You can create a new subscription by going to your My account page. You’ll need a payment option that works in your new region.

To make sure your new subscription works properly, we recommend deleting all downloaded content from all your devices before you buy the subscription in your new region.

Other subscriptions

05]

If you have other subscriptions (like XNA Creator’s Club, Call of Duty Elite, or Monster Hunter), your subscription will remain active in the new region but might not work anymore. If you have recurring billing, you will still be charged until you cancel the subscription by going to your My account page.

Child accounts

05]

An Xbox LIVE child account can move to a new region even if the parent account stays in its original region. But the parent will still have to accept the Terms of Use in the new region on the child’s behalf.

If the child is a minor (as defined by applicable law) in one region but isn’t a minor in the other region, the account can’t be moved between those regions.

A parent account can move to a new region, even if the child account stays in its region.

I just changed my Canadian account (don't ask) over to the UK, let's see how this goes.

Hooray! About time - will give it a go on my main (US) account when I get home.

Getting Points cards for that has been a major pain, so hopefully this will make life a lot easier.

Before you move your account, make sure that you’ve downloaded any avatar items, games, game add-ons, and video content that you’ve bought. No digital content is guaranteed to work after the migration, and there are no refunds if items stop working because you change your account region.

Content you’ve bought may continue to work on any Xbox 360 device if the content has a valid license. If that content gets deleted or you change consoles, you may be able to re-download the content and re-acquire a license for it in the new region, but some content (mostly video content) is only permissible in certain countries. This content may be blocked in your new region because of licensing or regional restrictions.

Quite the nasty sting in the tail, that bit. MS could at least provide a "regional preview" before you switch, showing what you are going to lose access to.

Yeah, it's not exactly clear what that means but I figured I'd just take a punt.

Will see if Outrun works, actually.

EDIT: Outrun works fine, even said there was an update. So licenses should in theory be okay? I don't think this was the 360 console I originally bought it on.

Yeah, it's not exactly clear what that means but I figured I'd just take a punt.

EDIT: Outrun works fine, even said there was an update. So licenses should in theory be okay? I don't think this was the 360 console I originally bought it on.

Licences may work, or they may not. Microsoft doesn't guarantee any of them will work, however. Losing access to every XBLAH game, every Indie game, and every bit of DLC could be quite painful for some. I don't blame MS for that bit -- it's caused by the vagaries of international content licencing and publishing -- but I do think it could be doing a little more to tell people what the score is before they take the leap.

I think the only time I ever used a fake silver account in another region was when the Bayonetta demo was out, but it seems like a nice move and might tempt me to check out other content more often :)

Hmm... it's won't move me

There’s a problem completing your move right now. Please check the Region Change Support Page to make sure it will work for you, and try again later.

The link to the support page is dead too :facepalm:

edit: and now the log in via Xbox.com is busted too. Seems something has gone a bit wrong with the Xbox site.

Will see if Outrun works, actually.

Its only games on demand titles that won't function due to them being region tied. All Live Arcade games will be fine.

No, it's for people who move country. Say you move to the US and take your UK Xbox account with you. You buy a new game and it comes with scratch-and-sniff DLC codes. But those codes are region-locked; they might not work on your UK account. Up until now, people in this situation had to start an entire new account, losing gaming history, gamerscore, and friends list. Now they can move the account instead.

Right, OK ta. I thought I might be able to switch region to the US and get their superior Netflix and different games on demand and stuff. Oh well.

You could change to a US account if you want and benefit from cheaper GOD prices but it's a pain in the arse getting codes.

I'm just glad this happened and I'm hoping Sony do something similar now.

Right, OK ta. I thought I might be able to switch region to the US and get their superior Netflix and different games on demand and stuff. Oh well.

You could just use unblock-us to get access to the US Netflix

You could do this for a while if you called them up - I changed mine from UK to US ages ago.

Great that it's a user controlled feature now though.

You could change to a US account if you want and benefit from cheaper GOD prices but it's a pain in the arse getting codes

You can't as it won't allow you to purchase and download USA GOD titles if you're doing it on a PAL console.

I have a uk gamertag and made a US account to use some cheap US points on xbla games a couple of years ago. Would this allow me to combine my us Xbla purchases to my uk account.

Guys I'm living in Germany with a UK gamer tag - am I going to lose too much stuff by changing to a German account?

Some PEGI 18 games may not be available, or they could be censored... i.e. blood removed.

More of a concern if you intend to download games much.

Some PEGI 18 games may not be available, or they could be censored... i.e. blood removed.

More of a concern if you intend to download games much.

I'm more interested in what television / catch up services they have on xbox in Germany. Not sure it's worth changing at all. I tried to a minute ago, got an error and gave up.

Damn it, I've just spent a year with a new tag because I couldn't do this. I have Xbox live games and dlc purchased on both accounts now, so I can't really call one my main over another.

Plus my Canadian account is tied to my Origin account too, that took an age to move over from my UK account.

Been in touch with Xbox support and they fixed why it wasn't working for me.

If you're having trouble trying going into your account management (might even be called billing information - it's the bit where you put your personal details like address and email) and make sure your email address is correct. For some reason mine wasn't and it stopped the process going through.

After all this time I now have a UK account for my main profile...I thought this day would never come...I feel...so emotional...

• Upvote 1