The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I understand your criticisms but you can't take them out of context completely. What others RPG of this magnitude have all these little details? W3 floors every other with expressions and voices overs and it's story telling is top of the line. If these things bother you, and it's fine if they do, then no other open world rpg must be good for you, because not only do they not have the details you seek but also lack the W3 qualities.

I don't think that these errors keep it from being special because at some point you have to see the bigger picture. I understand though if you find them annoying. To each his own :)

Yup. I'm definitely not oblivious to some of the issues the game might have, but it's certainly not had any effect on my enjoyment. To be honest, I'm finding it all so absorbing that very little breaks me out of its spell.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I still feel this is easily the best game of this type I've ever played. 95% of the time it's utterly superb. I just feel a little bit sad when those little things jump out at me, especially as they seem so trivial to fix, things like random animals / etc clipping through characters during dialogues.

ANYWAY. It's awesome, let's talk about how people's Geralt is shaping up.

I'm focusing on light armour and quick attacks / combat skill I think, with points going into signs as a backup. Based on my knowledge of the previous game, I'm assuming it's not a good idea to spread yourself too thinly, and focussing into one particular area will make you a beast by the end.

I'm currently rocking quick attack damage +5, deflect arrows +1, quen improvement +3, and am using that non-aligned skill which improves critical damage for each piece of light armour. Rocking a level 2 red mutagen to get some nice damage increase. Enjoying wriggling my way behind things for fat damage :D

My last session I did everything before Novigrad, leaving that for tonight.

Yeah the dodge is sort of "simulationist", in that it has no invulnerability frames, so dodge left when an attack comes round from the left and you still get hurt, dodge back at the wrong split second or when positioned in the wrong place and you still get hurt (hags are the worst for this).

There's a perk that reduces damage when dodging, but it's five character points to get some invulnerability frames. Some animation cancelling so you can break enemy stunlock would be appreciated too.

I generally like this because positioning, speed and judging the attacks play a big role. For example, especially for water hags, if I am focused I can barely get hit. They are very slow to turn so getting behind them gives great advantage. Also, not spamming the attacks is important in higher difficulties. Landing some hits and gaining ground to judge the next attack is important. Even when fighting humans you have to be very careful and not go all in as one dodge by them or block and you are at a disadvantage. Also, hitting their shield or having them block you by spamming attacks wears the swords down much faster.

I've found the alchemy perk that gives you slowmo when attacked when you have toxicity to be useful - I also used some of the Witcher perks, the extra Vit and Vit regeneration during daytime, although I'd say the extra Vit has outlived its usefulness now I've levelled up some, might switch it out for something else.

Does anyone know how to get to the Place of Power under the Elven Ruins near Lake Tryndamere? The only cave entrance I can find is the back half of the "Wandering in the Dark" quest, and while I found a hidden Aard door in the boss room and got some extra loot, I'm not any closer.

Blimey, go out for a couple of hours and it all kicks off in here!

Spoiler alert, Novigrad is fucking huge!

Anyone else seemingly out leveling the main quest suggested levels? I've done a bit exploring and quite a few side quests, treasure and contract quests. Worrying about my level a bit now!

I'm way out-levelling main quest but the Dark difficulty compensates nicely for that I think.

I seem to be levelling really slowly, I'm currently level 4.

I'm mainly clearing the '?' locations I'm able to and I'm guessing this isn't a great way to level up.

It depends. Closing monster holes is poor (20 odd), re-opening settlements is good (120-150 I think), bandits is only for loot really. I believe you have to kill enemies 5 levels above you to earn significant XP that way.

This wasn't immediately apparent to me so I'm going to say it even though it might be obvious and I'm just an idiot. Those weapon diagrams you can get to make weapons that are really good but that you can't use - well, I wondered if it was worth it as by the time I can use them I might have found something better. However, if you have the parts it's worth making them anyway as you can sell them for way more than crafting them costs you, they're a nice little way to make some cash and might even be why they're there. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone's skint.

I've got some obscenely high levelled weapon diagrams but like you say could be there will be a magic or relic weapon which does a better job when the time comes. Generally I wouldn't advise buying diagrams, there are simply so many to loot (I do buy potion and oil recipes though).

I've found the alchemy perk that gives you slowmo when attacked when you have toxicity to be useful - I also used some of the Witcher perks, the extra Vit and Vit regeneration during daytime, although I'd say the extra Vit has outlived its usefulness now I've levelled up some, might switch it out for something else.

Does anyone know how to get to the Place of Power under the Elven Ruins near Lake Tryndamere? The only cave entrance I can find is the back half of the "Wandering in the Dark" quest, and while I found a hidden Aard door in the boss room and got some extra loot, I'm not any closer.

A good question - I was there last night and I withdrew rather than fight the wraiths since I couldn't see any obvious opening.

I was clearing out that extreme SW area of the map yesterday and it's an excellent area for loot specifically (location type spoiler)

sunken treasure ships

. Many trips had to be taken back to town to sell the excess weight. There are also some different types of structures. Then when you sail around and see the big tree on the other bank (not spoilered since its on the map) you just want to go there straight away.

Maybe I'm just lucky here on the XBO, no problems with Gwent at all and only one minor glitch and a few NPCs incorrectly located (I don't suspend play though, but fully quit out each time). I don't find it clunky at all (increased sensitivity a bit if that helps). I don't pretend to be great at combat but if I fail I am clear it is my fault and not any issue with the camera etc. I find the world one I simply enjoy exploring and being in (despite the suffering of the population) and I can't think of any game mechanic which doesn't work or isn't simple to use after a little while. I put this section in spoilers since it's probably stating the bleeding obvious to some here but others are finding it more difficult - no story spoilers etc, just a few tips (I hope)

Inventory - new items are starred and at the top, after reviewing them the inventory will be resorted by type the next time you open it, the second category are items you can equip or use before combat, the third are crafting materials, the fourth quest related items and the last junk which can be sold or broken down. As for crafting etc, basically most items in the game can be either broken down into it's components and/or built up from them, in both cases by a suitably qualified tradesman, and you can see what is needed from the diagram. For alchemy, pick everything that you come across and as soon as the entry for a bomb or potion or oil is green, make it so it is refreshed on meditation (you only have to craft them once). Potions are instant use, oils are for applying to your blade before combat e.g spot a bandit camp and apply hangman's potion to your steel blade. Equip two potions (swallow + ) or one potion and one food item, plus two bombs to your quick use RB slots (the pocket slots are for specific quest related items or a torch). Loot everything to maximise your alchemy repertoire. Most crafting materials are very light and don't compromise your inventory (but do buy saddle bags when available)

My build is focussed on light armour, moving around to avoid damage, using Igni for beasts and Axii for humans. Having taken the utility skills which assist in this I'm not sure now which tree to develop now to be honest. XBO has a game centre which records a number of metrics and I've died 200 odd times but mostly its just the once each time other than the very first fight and the two tricky ones in the Darkness quest where I had no food at all in my inventory.

Story-wise I've just got to return finally to the Baron but I want to tackle another section of the Velen map first, probably the SE corner, and then finish the Gwent, fist fighting and horse racing.

• Upvote 3

Christ I spent my first 10 points just on combat not realising there were the other tabs.

Soooo many points needed. Or do you start getting points quicker as you level up? No idea what I should be focusing on now.

EDIT: Also what do I do with this griffin head? I need to turn it in to someone for a reward but I can't remember who I got that quest off.

EDIT: Also what do I do with this griffin head? I need to turn it in to someone for a reward but I can't remember who I got that quest off.

You can find out by pressing the central pad and then selecting "quests" and pick the main quest. Or press R3 to cycle active quests.

What do you mean you spent 10 points? What am I missing? I got a couple of abilities from those rock things. And a mutagen thingy. But when you level up I assume it levels your stats for you?

Pete, when you find a place of power or level up you get an ability point. When it takes you to the character screen it gives you a tutorial explaining things.. You can't have missed it..

It's the 'Ladies of the Wood' quest. It come up partway through the Bloody Baron questiline.

Now, you see that's wierd, and I now understand why Hex was questioning me about it, because it came up for me when I did Keira's quest.

(Which is still going on...lots of sub quests that are still happening on it, so still not even started on the Baron quest yet! So good!)

Yeah I got that with the places of power, but , I didn't get an ability point when I levelled..... At least I don't think I did. I'll have to check. Whcih is why when Soong said "10" points I was like "wha?" .

Outside of that I get the abilities, and the four sections and the different trees, and the same coloured mutgens etc etc

Killed my first Skull yesterday - Level 18 Wyvern (I was level 10) and it kicked my ass three times before I bested it.

Slow and steady wins the race! A good ten minute battle and loved it.

Emboldened by this, I attacked a Skull-Level-Too-High-to-show spectre thing.

Right.

Another time, then.

• Upvote 1

Enable the quest via the menu, it'll put a marker where you need to go.

Also just try and pay more attention.. :P;)

Annoyingly I can't get on Remote Play to check right now but I'm 99% certain there is no quest to mark. Unless you can mark completed quests? Because it's definitely not active.

There is one failed quest but I can't remember which one it is. If it is that one then maybe I'm screwed as I moved on with the main mission before finishing that quest.

Yeah there are multiple ways to trigger different quests, another reason this game is so superb. :)

This is a superb feature of the game.

Is there any way to fight while swimming / under water?

Yes, using the crossbow (the only option you will find). I still reckon they nixed it though - no way should level 10 drowners go down to a single standard CB bolt, probably just thought it would be unreasonable otherwise, given Geralt's lack of movement / breath etc.

I've ridden back to the first area and then into Vellen to kick arse and chew raw wolf meat; and I'm all out of raw wolf meat.

New swords, armour, saddlebags make mopping up those bandit camps fun and I'd missed so many points of power.

Just love all the questing in this,; the sub quests are better than most games main quests. Just turned off the music, stopped the subtitles and ride into the sunset, so glad this is a long game

I like the quilted armour designs! It's actually a real armour type, and a lot more sensible than the full plate stuff that you usually get in games, which people couldn't sleep in while wearing or get on their horses without a crane.

They're bloody dreadful. My last design was like something Geralt's Mum had made for him: black leather (but looks like felt most of the time), with white wavey lines and a few red bows on it. I was intensely relieved on donning a higher level armour, only to find this one looks like a New Zealand All Black's rugby shirt.

• Upvote 3

I'm trying my best to avoid changing armour....so far it's been doable, but I'm still pretty early on in things I think, so I suspect I'll have to get better sooner or later.

Annoyingly I can't get on Remote Play to check right now but I'm 99% certain there is no quest to mark. Unless you can mark completed quests? Because it's definitely not active.

There is one failed quest but I can't remember which one it is. If it is that one then maybe I'm screwed as I moved on with the main mission before finishing that quest.

Uh, surely the Griffins head is part of the main quest.