The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

There's only been one fight that I felt was kind of bullshit on hard difficulty, so far - the concluding fight of the Wild At Heart quest. I had to wait until I was a couple levels higher than the quest and had a better silver sword and appropriate oil for the blade before I stood a chance at all, and it took me about 15 attempts before I decided to leave until I was better prepared in this way. :lol:

There's only been one fight that I felt was kind of bullshit on hard difficulty, so far - the concluding fight of the Wild At Heart quest. I had to wait until I was a couple levels higher than the quest and had a better silver sword and appropriate oil for the blade before I stood a chance at all, and it took me about 15 attempts before I decided to leave until I was better prepared in this way. :lol:

True. But if we could find silver bombs it would be easy. Bot for the love of me I can't see to locate the diagram.

Also, igni gave me excellent chance as it stuns the enemy :)

There's only been one fight that I felt was kind of bullshit on hard difficulty, so far - the concluding fight of the Wild At Heart quest. I had to wait until I was a couple levels higher than the quest and had a better silver sword and appropriate oil for the blade before I stood a chance at all, and it took me about 15 attempts before I decided to leave until I was better prepared in this way. [emoji38]

Same thing happened with me!

True. But if we could find silver bombs it would be easy. Bot for the love of me I can't see to locate the diagram.

Also, igni gave me excellent chance as it stuns the enemy :)

Apparently the dimeritium bomb formula can be found somewhere in the caverns in the Wandering In The Dark quest:

Around where you fight the golem, it seems.

Naturally I missed this one. Although apparently you can get all the bomb formulae from herbalists etc.

Not sure how through it I am but the Family Matters quest just got dark

So I'm off to hunt a miscarried fetus with the drunken bastard who beat the mother causing the miscarriage...

I want to help the Botchling, but I don't want it to become a guardian spirit for this prick!

Still playing on Dark difficulty simply because that's how I completed W2, and I feel the game provides sufficient tools to make it worthwhile (i.e enemies don't just become bullet sponges or more numerous). Human enemies are susceptible to Axii and then can often be one-shotted, beasties on the other hand can be very troublesome. I've found that scouting around for a patch of water to lead them to is worthwhile because they won't follow you into it and it gives you a chance to regroup. A small niggle I have is that clicking to lock on does not do so to the nearest enemy; it seems to work left to right.

Spending time clearing out bandit camps has been worthwhile because they often yield good crafting schemata or weapons. Closing beast holes up and looting them is a good source of cash since they often yield high value junk items such as rings.

Anyway after pottering about a number of mid-Velen hamlets and having a go at whatever comes along I'm now balls deep (so to speak) in Wandering in the Dark which is proving to be a challenge and a half.

This really is some next level shit. Got to Velen and just ignored all quests and went for a wander. Oh my days it's huge. Took my first boat and went for a sail. Ended up in a city and just, fuck me it's insane.

• Upvote 1

This really is some next level shit. Got to Velen and just ignored all quests and went for a wander. Oh my days it's huge. Took my first boat and went for a sail. Ended up in a city and just, fuck me it's insane.

But remember it's not proper open world even though Novigrad by itself feels almost as big as an Assassin's Creed 2 city and you can move seamlessly from it to the diverse landscapes of the countryside. Not proper open world though.

• Upvote 5

But remember it's not proper open world even though Novigrad by itself feels almost as big as an Assassin's Creed 2 city and you can move seamlessly from it to the diverse landscapes of the countryside. Not proper open world though.

did someone actually say it wasn't open world? I must have missed that.

I've totally avoided the city so far; I think that would be totally overwhelming for me now with quite a few quests in the journal and several rural notice boards still unchecked.

Something of a Far Cry flashback too from time to time thinking about how to take back a disused location - any local wildlife to complicate matters? any water escape possible?

I wish I had the guts to turn off all map indicators and also with it the patience to undertake a meticulous coverage of the map (some POI being off the beaten track of course and, conversely, some minor interactions being on the road between settlements but are not marked). There is always the lure of something worthwhile at the end of the task - there seems to be more importance to and abundance of loot in this one for sure (could be my hazy memory or simply Doing it Wrong before though, I suppose). Things like treasure hunts, bandit camps very rich sources.

• Upvote 1

This review and a few other places that I saw.

Yeah whatever man. Between stuff like this and then "best RPG/GAME/ANYTHING of all time everest!", I must say we are not getting a lot of useful information from gaming media these days.

This bit of dialogue in the game showcases how truly amazing the writing is:

Witcher: "If it's lycanthropy I can help?" Hunter: "nah dude, I'm just gay, don't worry about it"

• Upvote 1

The fact that everything is open in this world trully elevates the atmosphere in new heights (has it ever be done actually with graphics like these?). Hearing horses and look outside the window only to see some riders passing by or witnessing thunder flashing afar and taking a glimpse of it through an open door as you are searching inside... Man...

• Upvote 2

What a year for games though. Even if I only play this and Bloodborne in 2015, I'll be so happy.

There will be lots of surprises, cool indies etc, but 2015 will probably end up as the year of the holy trinity Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Phantom Pain.

Are you ok, Talk Show Host? I think this is genuinely the first time I've ever seen you be positive about anything, let alone this gushfest.

Hey! I was positive in the DAI thread too!

This is beyond positive though. Don't blame me, it's CD Projekt's fault.

Probably already been mentioned, but we should see PS4 and XBox patches for this sometime next week. Quite a few bug fixes, but most importantly some performance tweaks for the frame rate too. Going to hold off playing until those drop.

I resorted to going up to hard difficulty level a bit after the tutorial - does anyone know if I'll get the achievement for completing on Hard or shall I just start again?

I put this on last night and was pretty impressed but I think I'm going to hold off playing it until the font size is patched. I was near constantly squinting at the screen and ended up not being bothered to read half the stuff, which isn't great in such a complex game.

Both the quality of the dialogue and the way the NPCs talk to you while doing other things in the world really shows up Bethesda's po-faced mannequins who stand stock-still while talking to you. Fallout 4 could end up seeming incredibly dated after this if they haven't changed things.

What a ton of work it must have been though, to hand-craft every individual conversation encounter like that. Truly impressive.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, graphically this can be a mixed bag. Novigrad in the day looks great, but at night it looks awful on PS4. Like someone's whacked the contrast on my TV all the way up. It makes me wonder if they had to use a more basic lighting effect to keep the game running at an acceptable framerate during the night. Honestly, Skyrim at night on the 360 looks so much better than this game at night.

Great PSN ID and thread post combo. Boom!

Hmmm, graphically this can be a mixed bag. Novigrad in the day looks great, but at night it looks awful on PS4. Like someone's whacked the contrast on my TV all the way up. It makes me wonder if they had to use a more basic lighting effect to keep the game running at an acceptable framerate during the night. Honestly, Skyrim at night on the 360 looks so much better than this game at night.

I've not even got to Novigrad, and I'm not playing on PS4 but I'm 99.9% certain that bolded bit is hyperbole!

• Upvote 6