rllmuk
Doctor Shark

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

14 hours ago, Vorgot said:

One thing that is really a failing in my opinion is the exploration in Skellige. In Velen, the question marks were all over the place and were interesting to do. A big variety of stuff, you found some other quests on the way, they were great fun. In Skellige, they are a pain in the backside. With the nature of the area, they are all out at sea, and most are smugglers caches. They are a blatant way to farm coin with no real variety. In Velen, you have so many different things. Skellige, its all shoot Sirens, collect crappy reward, trade for crowns. In Velen, you had to find your way to some of them, the Skellige ones are just dull. I decided to stop them until I realised I needed money to craft some stuff and then it becomes a case of an hour of grind.

Granted, its a small gripe in a great game, but I think they could have cut down the Smugglers Cache stuff.

I pretty much avoided all the ? that are in the sea

Yeah, I really liked Skellige but I definitely didn’t go for all the question marks. 

The bit that was a bit flat for me was Novigrad: too confusing to navigate by eye, so I ended up spending most of my time squinting at the Witcher satnav on the minimap, and the hunt for Dandelion went on for ages. After the amazing Bloody Baron questline it felt like quite a comedown. 

I stopped at skellige and restarted on the hardest difficulty. It's a completely different game as before i just powering through stuff easily...last night I got murdered by a small group of Nekkers as I took them likely.  Already encountered a number of events that I somehow missed before. Loving even more.

--and I love Gwent now.

12 hours ago, Gordzilla said:

I stopped at skellige and restarted on the hardest difficulty. It's a completely different game as before i just powering through stuff easily...last night I got murdered by a small group of Nekkers as I took them likely.  Already encountered a number of events that I somehow missed before. Loving even more.

--and I love Gwent now.

Pretty much every time I’ve gone through the game I’ve come across the odd mission I’ve not done before...and I’ve played it through around 4 times now.

Don’t ask me how I’ve messed up my life.

Mind you, I’ve only done Blood and Wine once, so that’s due for a few more journeys at least!

I started this a while ago then stopped. Are there any good mods on pc that improve gameplay and the experience?

2 hours ago, simms said:

I started this a while ago then stopped. Are there any good mods on pc that improve gameplay and the experience?

• Upvote 1

Just reached the Brothers in Arms quests and got a stark reminder of a bad choice I made earlier as one quest automatically failed......

Think I'll crack on through main quest though now and come back to HoS and BaW in future with Persona due next week. Intrigued to see what ending I get and then have a look at all the spoiler stuff above to see how it could have been different.

Glad I left HoS for another time if it has a strong story, because the main quest has become a bit sloppy. I was expecting to build to a big climax now but instead I'm on a Wind Waker style triforce quest. And everything I need to do requires me to walk for bloody miles when I get there to accomplish a small task. It's a jarring change. This game is definitely at it's best when you are left to your own devices and the side characters are much better than the main ones (with a couple of exceptions). Still, not going to have a pop, not sure how else they would, or could, have done it.

Got my full L34 Wolven Armour now and looking cool though, thats a bonus!

I never get through all of this on PS4 or played any of the expansions. But when my Switch Lite gets delivered today, I'm going to start it again on that. :omg:

I just got to the end, and got the ending I am most satisfied with. Based on my decisions through the game and now looking at the other 'good' ending I'm really glad I got this one.

Spoiler

Tell the Emperor Ciri is dead, she gets to go witchering.... Oh, and Geralt ends up with Triss.

The one regret

Spoiler

Maybe is that I didn't take part in the plot to kill Radovid so the burnings continued. But I didn't want Geralt to go back on his getting involved in king killing comments. Not happy Radovid continues burnings but thats the consequences of my choices.

Think I'll intersperse playing HoS and BaW with my Person 5R playthrough now, looking forward to it. Overall this was an epic, brilliant game. I got the glitch in the fight with Eredin at the end which annoyed me though. But small niggles in what is an impressive piece of work.

• Upvote 1

Quick question though. The game has popped me back in before the final chapter but with all main quests done. I presume I should just crack on with the expansions from here rather than start them as separate things? 

2 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Quick question though. The game has popped me back in before the final chapter but with all main quests done. I presume I should just crack on with the expansions from here rather than start them as separate things? 

yes

• Upvote 1

Just finished with the best ending in hardest difficulty.

The first 10 or so levels were rock hard..liberal use of potions and oils, careful choice of skills (vitality from food and the use of adrenalin to refill your vitality were essential),  focused on maxing my fast attack damage, kept up with the best armour and weapons I could get and did many side quests .  After that as long I was careful I could get through most battles pretty easily but would get surrounded on occasion and given a battering.

Loved it from start to finish. The character and world building was really something else. Would have preferred a bit more focus on the white frost rather than the wild hunt in the end but left satisfied.

the end...

Spoiler

Ciri became empress.

G and T headed of to live happily ever after.

Sided with the Nilf - couldn't let Dystria kill Roche - given he helped in the battle.

Lambert (what a prick!) and Keira joined up

Queen on Skeliga

The Baron lived and went off with his wife to find a healer. Children got eaten.

Saved all the mages

Best bit - the drinking session - how I laughed.

• Upvote 2

Mainly about the first game if anyone is interested.

You'd better be interested as this video is over four hours long and is - get this - part one of three. 

• Upvote 1

I'm 3 hours and 21 minutes into that video after watching it on and off for the last couple of days. I've never played the first Witcher so it's interesting to see where it all (the games anyway) began and learn about all the stuff I was scratching my head about from the newer games. I've really fallen hard for the whole Witcher franchise over the past six months, it's great!

• Upvote 1

Yeah it's taking me a few nights to get through it but it is very interesting to see what the first game was about and how it connects to 3 (the only one I've played.). 

I confess that I didn't play much of the Witcher 2 when I first got it, mainly because my PC back then wasn't quite up to the task of playing it, but I reinstalled it on Monday (on my now markedly more capable PC) and I'm determined to give it a play through so I can understand the Witcher 3 a bit better.

W2 still looks good and, dare I say it, has better soundtrack than W3. The writing in all three games  is still the best we have ever seen in this kind of game and some of the best generally. 

Skellige is maybe the best location in any video game ever. The introduction to it as you come ashore, the mountains, the music, the road to the quest marker, the banquet and first mission, just magnificent. It’s been about 4 years since I last visited and coming back on XB1X, in 4K and HDR, it’s just transcendent. The best game. 

I got a bit distracted after W2 on my trilogy play through but I’m back in now and determined to make it through to the end of B&W finally. Honestly most excited about redoing Heart of Stone though, just a brilliant DLC.

@Professor Puzzles there isn’t a huge amount of carry over from W2 to W3. It mostly amounts to a short conversation near the beginning of W3 that asks you about your decisions in W2. There is one excellent quest in W3 that becomes available if you made a specific decision in W3 and some character moments that resonate but ultimately W3 is it’s own game. Definitely play W2 though for sure, it’s still a great game and relatively brief compared to W3. 

I arrived in Skellige tonight, have visited 2 notice boards and already have 44 question marks. :blink:

• Upvote 1

Ah, I'm just turning into a proper Witcher fanboy these days so I'm going to try and consume as much as possible, including the books. Speaking of Skellige, it plays host to one of my favourite moments in a video game ever (Cerys en Craite quest spoilers):

When you're hanging out in a haunted house waiting for her to come back from some errand then she bursts in the door, throws you a baby and tells you to chuck in in the furnace, and you've only got a limited time to respond.

I chucked the baby in the furnace, of course I did, and I'd do it again!

• Upvote 4

Finished Blood & Wine last night and so have now completed W3 and the two expansion.

I got the tragic ending for B&W it would seem, shame.

What a game though, need to check my final hours but can't be far off being over 100.

9 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

Ah, I'm just turning into a proper Witcher fanboy these days so I'm going to try and consume as much as possible, including the books. Speaking of Skellige, it plays host to one of my favourite moments in a video game ever (Cerys en Craite quest spoilers):

It's SUCH a great moment. Best thing about is that it moves so quickly you (or at least I did) instinctively and in character. I went along with it despite my own misgivings because I trusted who was asking me.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, memories said:

I got the tragic ending for B&W it would seem, shame.

I got that, too. Thought I'd done a decent job until then. :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

Any tips on best armour practice on NG+? Still wearing the grandmaster feline armour from first playthrough, which I think I got at around lvl 40, and I'm getting killed after 3 or 4 hits (Geralt is around lvl 72 now). Thanks to a combination of all sorts of factors the attack strength is still pretty damn good, but that weakass armour is letting me down.

On 15/04/2020 at 21:34, Thor said:

Witcher 2 is a genuinely good game. 

I remember it being much harder than Witcher 3. 

On 25/03/2020 at 08:51, davejm said:

I came to this thread to ask the very same question, as I'm going to start this for the first time soon.

Aside from QoL mods, are there any essential gameplay mods to get?