rllmuk
Doctor Shark

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

25 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Cheers, yeah I know. :) I have £15 of MS credit sat there ready to be used so I was going to use that with the GP version for now (although will check the price on GOTY edition). 

Just bear in mind that for whatever reason, saves from the GOTY version are not compatible with saves from the regular version (even with all the DLC). So don’t start the regular game, put 50 hours into it then upgrade to the GOTY edition in a sale!

• Upvote 1

Is there any news about cross save coming to Xbox? Would like to bring my PC save to Xbox so I can finish Blood and Wine. 

18 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Just bear in mind that for whatever reason, saves from the GOTY version are not compatible with saves from the regular version (even with all the DLC). So don’t start the regular game, put 50 hours into it then upgrade to the GOTY edition in a sale!

Oooh, didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up.

I have finally completed this tonight. I started in 2015 :lol: 

I started again before Christmas though. Kinda went through the story and only a handful of side missions, in the end it was 80 missions and 40 hours. I wouldn’t recommend just going through the story as I didn’t really explore. 

It was great fun though and I got a really nice ending. I didn’t realise how many there can be! 

I think I’ll play the expansions another time. 

• Upvote 1

Was there always touchscreen functionality in the Switch version or was it part of the update? I don't think I noticed it before. You can now use the touchscreen to navigate menus, scroll through quest lists and, best of all, open the world map by tapping the minimap in the corner of the screen, like you could in Dragon's Dogma.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Was there always touchscreen functionality in the Switch version or was it part of the update? I don't think I noticed it before. You can now use the touchscreen to navigate menus, scroll through quest lists and, best of all, open the world map by tapping the minimap in the corner of the screen, like you could in Dragon's Dogma.

Yeah, it was added in the patch. 

13 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Best of all, open the world map by tapping the minimap in the corner of the screen, like you could in Dragon's Dogma.

:o brilliant.

7 hours ago, ann coulter said:

WTF! No more going through the menus to get to it! What a patch.

I've gotten back into the groove with this again. I went through a period between finishing the Bloody Baron/witches quest and going to Novigrad where I wasn't feeling it quite so much as I was doing a lot of minor side missions and contract missions in the countryside and it was all starting to feel a bit samey.

I think I had gotten the impression that none of the side quests in this were open-world filler and so was determined to do them all when some of them are actually quite boring. Some of them are excellent, don't get me wrong, but I've basically learnt that any quest that starts with some variation of 'random stranger complains a beast is eating livestock/tormenting the village/their brother has gone missing' is probably going to be a pretty rote affair where you follow red trails and find some dead bodies and then slay a monster. Whereas the side quests that involve characters you meet through the main plot like Keira Metz or Triss or Dijkstra are likely to be far more meaty, interesting affairs. I think I'm quite happy leaving what looks like chaff to one side at this point.

I do appreciate how varied the locales start getting once you hit Novigrad. They make the effort to take you to lots of interesting places within the city and really delve into the underbelly of the place. So many towns in open world games are just surface gloss where your never get a sense of how things tick behind the buildings' facades. While there are still plenty of buildings you can't enter, it's very good at fleshing out the town to make it feel a lived-in and colourful place.

43 minutes ago, Majora said:

I've gotten back into the groove with this again. I went through a period between finishing the Bloody Baron/witches quest and going to Novigrad where I wasn't feeling it quite so much as I was doing a lot of minor side missions and contract missions in the countryside and it was all starting to feel a bit samey.

I think I had gotten the impression that none of the side quests in this were open-world filler and so was determined to do them all when some of them are actually quite boring. Some of them are excellent, don't get me wrong, but I've basically learnt that any quest that starts with some variation of 'random stranger complains a beast is eating livestock/tormenting the village/their brother has gone missing' is probably going to be a pretty rote affair where you follow red trails and find some dead bodies and then slay a monster. Whereas the side quests that involve characters you meet through the main plot like Keira Metz or Triss or Dijkstra are likely to be far more meaty, interesting affairs. I think I'm quite happy leaving what looks like chaff to one side at this point.

I do appreciate how varied the locales start getting once you hit Novigrad. They make the effort to take you to lots of interesting places within the city and really delve into the underbelly of the place. So many towns in open world games are just surface gloss where your never get a sense of how things tick behind the buildings' facades. While there are still plenty of buildings you can't enter, it's very good at fleshing out the town to make it feel a lived-in and colourful place.

The question marks, random npc quests, bandit camps, lairs, etc are what you find in other games as well: filler content for the player and an effort to make the world feel more alive.

The real side quests are the main plot side quests and the contracts. Some of the best quests actually can be found in the contracts. 

I don't know what took them so long but a free Polish (Russian too) language pack was put up for the Switch version yesterday so I no longer have to toggle between French and German trying to decide which is more appropriate. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I don't know what took them so long but a free Polish (Russian too) language pack was put up for the Switch version yesterday so I no longer have to toggle between French and German trying to decide which is more appropriate. 

Many thanks, that's just what I was waiting for, and during the sale too. Polish Geralt: accept no substitutes! Love those surly merchants too, and Yennefer...

Can runestones be crafted and if so can I do it or do I need to find someone to do it for me? I thought I’d seen the option at one stage but I’m drawing a blank now I want to. 

3 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Can runestones be crafted and if so can I do it or do I need to find someone to do it for me? I thought I’d seen the option at one stage but I’m drawing a blank now I want to. 

Yes and yes, only weapon and armour smiths can craft them.  I'm fairly sure you need a better quality smith to craft the standard and greater runestones too.

• Upvote 1

Came across the beggar in Novigrad who was

Spoiler

a straight lift from the leper in Life of Brian

Absolute genius.

Added spoiler tags as I dont want to ruin it for anyone else

• Upvote 1

Just completed this, great game. Switch is showing as "over 85 hours" and that's just the main game. 

Didn't do any of the Gwent stuff or things like races as they don't interest me to be honest. Do have a few "treasure hunts" still open for armour stuff that I might look at.

Got a good ending I think from having a look online.

Question now is what order should the DLC packs be done in? Going to take a bit of a break and play some other stuff but will return at some point.

On 20/02/2020 at 15:00, Talk Show Host said:

• Do not play Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine before the end of the story. They are designed to be played after it and they work much better as extra 'Geralt chapters'. 

I agree with you on Blood and Wine, but totally disagree on Hearts of Stone. It is quite clear that thematically it is set towards the end of the game, but before the W3 ending properly, and feels quite dissonant if you do it after you've finished W3.

They insert a token line of dialogue from Ciri if you do decide to do it after the main game, but I don't think it really works. The narrative is quite clearly set before the big W3 ending.

100% agree. I had a few lines of dialogue and a few events that contradicted decisions I'd already made. Was especially jarring as otherwise the game reacted very well to what I'd been up. I wrote it off as a lucid wine dream of an event from long ago.

So I think I’m at the point where the end game of Witcher 3 begins and going by the above conversation I should consider doing Hearts of Stone...

about to head off to the Isle of Mists

But I’m only level 25, and Hearts of Stone begins at around level 32. Should I continue with the main game, or try and level up a bit and prioritise the expansion?

@Garwoofoo If it's the first time you're going there then you've still got quite a bit to go. Hearts of Stone is quite an easy expansion anyway.

• Upvote 1

Have to say, that particular "point of no return" warning is absolute nonsense. It comes way too early. 

Ah right - thanks. I haven’t actually been to that place at all yet, and haven’t had any warnings, so it sounds like I’m not as close to the end as I’d thought. 

6 hours ago, Isaac said:

I agree with you on Blood and Wine, but totally disagree on Hearts of Stone. It is quite clear that thematically it is set towards the end of the game, but before the W3 ending properly, and feels quite dissonant if you do it after you've finished W3.

They insert a token line of dialogue from Ciri if you do decide to do it after the main game, but I don't think it really works. The narrative is quite clearly set before the big W3 ending.

You are right there but only when it comes to the sense of continuation. HoS is so strong that it will literally deflate the main story and your sense of urgency if you do it before. It is a risk.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Have to say, that particular "point of no return" warning is absolute nonsense. It comes way too early. 

That is only there to warn you that many NPC quests become unavailable after that, which is true.

You say many, how many? Because I don't recall it being of any significance...

Just now, Thor said:

You say many, how many? Because I don't recall it being of any significance...

Well, all the companion quests become unavailable for starters: Letho, Keira, Triss, Zoltan, Roche, etc. Some of them get blocked and others simply have less options to follow. There may be more but I don't remember specifics.

Ah, that explains why I saw little/no difference. Who in their right mind would not do those quests? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ah, that explains why I saw little/no difference. Who on their right mind would not do those quests? 

I guess that is the reason for the warning: they are too important/fun to miss.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

You are right there but only when it comes to the sense of continuation. HoS is so strong that it will literally deflate the main story and your sense of urgency if you do it before. It is a risk.

Yup, I have always played it after.the main event. In my mind Geralt has said his goodbyes to one and all and is back on the path again, and just happens to be in this area. You could quibble about the way Radavid's men are still in Oxenfurt but I imagine the politics of surrender and all that stuff takes time to trickle down. 

Or you just pretend ;)

• Upvote 1