The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Captain Kelsten

Im about 30 hours in and at level 10. Im barely out the first area to be honest and just wandering about.

This game might kill me though, I'm struggling to deal with having open quests on the list and i must clear them out, hence me doing level 5 rated stuff last night for minimal real reward, but I am still enjoying it so thats the important part.

I also struggle with all those feking "?" on the map, have this need to clear an area before moving anywhere.

This games going to take me forever.

For those asking BB quest:

Spoiler

I killed the tree and went back to the Baron, he's made a side mission for us to go free his wife. I left it there and went on to Novigrad. I've just killed Junior. So as far as im aware the wife, daughter and Baron are all alive. I'm kinda just cracking on with the story, I put in many hours of Gwent and messing around first time round before i lost my save 40 hours in, I want to get the story done because I started it in 2015! 

3 hours ago, memories said:

Im about 30 hours in and at level 10. Im barely out the first area to be honest and just wandering about.

This game might kill me though, I'm struggling to deal with having open quests on the list and i must clear them out, hence me doing level 5 rated stuff last night for minimal real reward, but I am still enjoying it so thats the important part.

I also struggle with all those feking "?" on the map, have this need to clear an area before moving anywhere.

This games going to take me forever.

Yeah, turn them off.

Be warned though, they'll come a time when you think you're nearing the end of being in Skellige and you'll say to yourself 'I've been here for weeks, I probably have most of them done by now', then you'll turn the question marks back on and then you'll have an OCD-induced aneurysm.

21 hours ago, scottcr said:

Finally decided to go to Skellige (or Space Norway), really just for a change of scenery as I'm no rush

Me too. It’s very pretty. No idea how many hours now, but just hit level 20, and the first few quests here already sound epic. :D

3 hours ago, ravnaz said:

Level 16 at around 30hours. XP curve is getting steeper. 

Should I be concerned that I'm ending up sending all the women that I've bed'd up to Kaer Morhen? Feels like there are going to be consequences. 

I'm level 11 and havent slept with anyone. I've got no game :lol: 

22 hours ago, Baring said:

For those asking BB quest:

Hide contents

I killed the tree and went back to the Baron, he's made a side mission for us to go free his wife. I left it there and went on to Novigrad. I've just killed Junior. So as far as im aware the wife, daughter and Baron are all alive. I'm kinda just cracking on with the story, I put in many hours of Gwent and messing around first time round before i lost my save 40 hours in, I want to get the story done because I started it in 2015! 

IIRC 

you've doomed the kids to death you fiend.... 

5 minutes ago, Baring said:

:lol: I'm gonna read the Wiki. I can't really remember what was being said. Maybe if I join the side mission to go with him all hell breaks loose? I might do it tonight to close that line.

it's *definitely* worth seeing that story line through to the conclusion...  just.... be prepared

I wish there was an arrow above your head or something instead of the minimap. I really feel like using the minimap has seriously hindered my enjoyment of the game. I can barely  remember Novigrad because I was looking at the white dots the whole time. Something like the bar Bethesda use would've been perfect - not at all intrusive, but still gives you a general idea of what's around you.

1 hour ago, Thwomp said:

I wish there was an arrow above your head or something instead of the minimap. I really feel like using the minimap has seriously hindered my enjoyment of the game. I can barely  remember Novigrad because I was looking at the white dots the whole time. Something like the bar Bethesda use would've been perfect - not at all intrusive, but still gives you a general idea if what's around you.

Why were you looking at the white dots?

3 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I wish there was an arrow above your head or something instead of the minimap. I really feel like using the minimap has seriously hindered my enjoyment of the game. I can barely  remember Novigrad because I was looking at the white dots the whole time. Something like the bar Bethesda use would've been perfect - not at all intrusive, but still gives you a general idea if what's around you.

Matt Lees did a great wee youtube on game design for a review of BotW... his whole thing was 'where does the game reside'... where do you spend a lot of your time looking.  The minimap is a good example of this.  You've got a massive screen and you spend a lot of time looking at the top right corner.  I love the game, but it's a fair point.

8 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Because Novigrad is like a maze, and if I don't use the white dots I inevitably end up on the wrong side of a wall from my destination.

I had the dots off. Question markers appear only when close. Completed question markers off. Quests on.  If I wanted to go somewhere I would just check the map and see where the quest I was going to is. For example, west. Then just go towards that and when I was near the marker would just appear on the mini map. It didn’t take me long to learn the basic areas and I’m hopeless with directions. Plus, there are signs in the city for the major areas. 

I agree that an overhead bar would make things easier (and on PC you have a dynamic ui mod which is incredible and completely clears the screen), but weirdly I had more of a problem checking the mini map constantly when I was out in the  wilderness than in the cities.

2 hours ago, Mugman said:

It’s bizarre more people didn’t copy Fable 2’s breadcrumb trail. Brilliant design that meant you were actually engaging with the game world around you rather than a tiny mini map. 

While good, I think there is no real use for that (or any other clever idea). Games should just have dynamic UIs and be done with all the shitty clutter. If a modder can do it then professional developers should be able to as well.

8 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

While good, I think there is no real use for that (or any other clever idea). Games should just have dynamic UIs and be done with all the shitty clutter. If a modder can do it then professional developers should be able to as well.

BOTW does it best... 

Just now, Talk Show Host said:

Botw isnt nearly as complex as W3 though. 

depends what you class as complex. BotW sacrifices realism for gameplay purposes. Witcher is a more realistic world. Both are great games. BotW does mapping and general exploration better IMO but in such a way that would maybe feel odd if it was ‘realistic’. 

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

depends what you class as complex. BotW sacrifices realism for gameplay purposes. Witcher is a more realistic world. Both are great games. BotW does mapping and general exploration better IMO but in such a way that would maybe feel odd if it was ‘realistic’. 

We are talking about the use of UI. Zelda has nowhere near as complex cities or places or side quests or shops or items or stashes to uncover or investigating areas that update their next target in another area or characters to find, etc. It is a simple game to navigate with simple systems compared to W3. CDPR's game needs most of its UI marks to be able to play it as intended because of the amount of complexity it has. A dynamic UI would solve all these problems, as the modders proved.