rllmuk
Doctor Shark

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

A got Witcher a few months ago but couldn't last even half an hour. Man that game has aged badly. I even played the supposed 'enhanced edition'. A shame as I can see why people would've liked it when it first came out.

The Witcher 2 on the other hand looked sublime from the getgo but I still haven't installed that. :doh:

Shame you care so much about graphics, because the first game is far better in every other regard than the second - The Witcher 2 is still really good and rather brilliant, mind.

Disagreed about 'everything', the fluidity of combat and the pacing was done much better in TW2, TW was overall a better RPG but you cannot deny the awkward combat or the swamp of chapter 2 being a major downside in it.

• Upvote 1

I liked the combat a lot better in the first game actually, as long as you got the timing down then it was mostly a matter of strategy and alchemy. Which reminds me, I absolutely adore the alchemy system in the first Witcher, I hope they go back to that.

• Upvote 1

I liked the combat a lot better in the first game actually, as long as you got the timing down then it was mostly a matter of strategy and alchemy. Which reminds me, I absolutely adore the alchemy system in the first Witcher, I hope they go back to that.

I'm with you gerb, though the most important thing that made the first game was the quests/effects were smaller scale but felt a lot more personal to Geralt.

Which reminds me, I absolutely adore the alchemy system in the first Witcher, I hope they go back to that.

Definitely, I have no idea why they removed it.

Playing 1 just now, got stuck on the beast before :(

That fight is a sudden and random jump in difficulty to everything that came before it, isn't it?!? Took me a good few goes to gank the little shit.

Playing 1 just now, got stuck on the beast before :(

Make sure your weapon and oil setup is all good and you should breeze though it.

Yep, it's only a difficulty spike (happened to me first time around too!) when you're still struggling or ignoring alchemy. The three different difficulty settings already hint at the importance of alchemy, if I recall correctly easy was something like "you hardly ever need to use alchemy", medium is "alchemy is important" and hard is "YOU DIE IF YOU DON'T USE ALCHEMY". When you realise the importance (and for me it's a also major part of the fun!) of alchemy in the game and start taking your time researching monsters and beasts, reading up on what works best for each, the effects of various potions and oils, and then start gathering, collecting and mixing with purpose, you soon realise that this forms the underlying tactical aspects of each battle. Gather information on each location before you go in, information about monsters before you go hunting, and you should go in with all kinds of potions active and oils smeared across your blade. Before you fight THE BEAST you can rest and prepare all you want in the cave, you know what kind of monster the beast is so if you alchemise (sorry) accordingly, it should be a lot easier all of a sudden.

I can only imagine how amazing the Witcher 3 will be if the alchemy and lore/info collecting is as good as in the first Witcher and they present you with a massive open world filled with scary monsters to hunt which don't level with you :D:wub:

Yep, it's only a difficulty spike (happened to me first time around too!) when you're still struggling or ignoring alchemy. The three different difficulty settings already hint at the importance of alchemy, if I recall correctly easy was something like "you hardly ever need to use alchemy", medium is "alchemy is important" and hard is "YOU DIE IF YOU DON'T USE ALCHEMY". When you realise the importance (and for me it's a also major part of the fun!) of alchemy in the game and start taking your time researching monsters and beasts, reading up on what works best for each, the effects of various potions and oils, and then start gathering, collecting and mixing with purpose, you soon realise that this forms the underlying tactical aspects of each battle. Gather information on each location before you go in, information about monsters before you go hunting, and you should go in with all kinds of potions active and oils smeared across your blade. Before you fight THE BEAST you can rest and prepare all you want in the cave, you know what kind of monster the beast is so if you alchemise (sorry) accordingly, it should be a lot easier all of a sudden.

I can only imagine how amazing the Witcher 3 will be if the alchemy and lore/info collecting is as good as in the first Witcher and they present you with a massive open world filled with scary monsters to hunt which don't level with you :D:wub:

The only problem with this is I believe it autosaves at the cutscene, so if you don't know all of this ahead of time, you then get stuck in a loop of cutscene boss fight cutscene boss fight etc.

Engine demo later today, guys.

Is this with the Next Gen renderer? as the article states it isn't actually ready yet, and the current pictures are nowhere close to the target render quality they are aiming for with their other game, also using this engine.

Keep in mind that they're aiming for high-end PCs in 2015/16 with Cyberpunk, it will probably look EVEN BETTTERER than Witcher 3 :)

I particularly like the fact that Geralt is basically going to be all like 'fuck y'all' and be a total badass rather than feck about in politics and being a hero.

Yes, that is what I meant, they are currently still using the old graphics renderer, which does obviously show, so it seems a bit weird from a marketing POV to show your game with worse graphics than you intend to deliver, as they didn't do that for the other game, for that they did a Killzone 2/MotorStorm instead.

Is this with the Next Gen renderer? as the article states it isn't actually ready yet, and the current pictures are nowhere close to the target render quality they are aiming for with their other game, also using this engine.

Not sure I'm afraid.I read that there would be a demonstration of the new engine today, but I don't know if that's true or what they'll show. Perhaps they'll show the open world aspect of the engine, considering both this and Cyberpunk will be open world.

I particularly like the fact that Geralt is basically going to be all like 'fuck y'all' and be a total badass rather than feck about in politics and being a hero.

Return to the first game \o/

Any thoughts on how the original Witcher will run on a mid-2012 Macbook Air with 4gb ram, running natively in the mac (no bootcamp)? Remotely playable?

Just the end of this trilogy by all accounts. There will be more.

Yes, according to NeoGAF a Polish press release has already clarified this, The end of the trilogy, but there will be more Witcher games. I think it's good if the give the series a break and concentrate on Cyberpunk for a while.

He's got a fucking beard!

tumblr_ls9wwwznLm1ql5bqso1_500.gif

I can't believe it's actually going to be the case that the entire Witcher trilogy came out between half life 2 and half life 3

• Upvote 2

Any thoughts on how the original Witcher will run on a mid-2012 Macbook Air with 4gb ram, running natively in the mac (no bootcamp)? Remotely playable?

It will probably struggle :-( If I get time (and if you want), I'll try and install it tomorrow night and see what happens so you know before the Steam sale ends (no promises though). Although I guess even if the Steam sale ends before anyone gets back to you it will still only be £7 or whatever!

• Upvote 1